Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

Aren't the railroads responsible for security on their railroads since it's their property?  If I did business with a storage company that was always being broken into and my stuff stolen then I would expect them to do something about it or I would find another storage solution.  Railroads are not public property.   When a city or county wants to build a road through a crossing it's up to the public to do the infrastructure.  That was the deal the US Gov't made with them in order for them to agree to build the rails at their own cost.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Aren't the railroads responsible for security on their railroads since it's their property?  If I did business with a storage company that was always being broken into and my stuff stolen then I would expect them to do something about it or I would find another storage solution.  Railroads are not public property.   When a city or county wants to build a road through a crossing it's up to the public to do the infrastructure.  That was the deal the US Gov't made with them in order for them to agree to build the rails at their own cost.

Correct.... Class I railroads have their own police that have jurisdictions on their property. UPRR's police, like the other Class I's, are certified state law enforcement officers with investigative and arrest powers both on and off railroad property in most states. They also have interstate law enforcement authority pursuant to federal law.

To be clear, there's overlap with local law enforcement, but yeah, UPRR bears a lot of responsibility for what happens on their ROW... and I'm not sure that LAPD or CHP would be first in the chain of command here.

Edited by mtutiger

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Correct.... Class I railroads have their own police that have jurisdictions on their property. UPRR's police, like the other Class I's, are certified state law enforcement officers with investigative and arrest powers both on and off railroad property in most states. They also have interstate law enforcement authority pursuant to federal law.

To be clear, there's overlap with local law enforcement, but yeah, UPRR bears a lot of responsibility for what happens on their ROW... and I'm not sure that LAPD or CHP would be first in the chain of command here.

Pinkerton's did a lot of things that were more high profile, but railroad work was bread and butter for them in their early days (post civil war)

11 hours ago, pfife said:

Just to help with the conversation, I made this picture.   I put a red box around the current devastating market crash.  And also I but a green box around the market crash that never happened.   I hope this helps. 

image.thumb.png.8ed238ec0b55f9d1c475c424b692d680.png

Excellent buying opportunity right now... I put some money into the market this morning when all the Chicken Littles were running for the hills. That's where Archie Bunker lives, right? In the Hills of the Rio Grande?

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One hundred years ago, when people went off the deep end paranoid crazy in mid-life or later you could just assume tertiary syphilis. There must be some new thing this century.

I just assume he's on the take. Never would be able to prove it, but he tries too hard for it to be genuine

18 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Fake crash

Currently its a correction with not a lot of promise for an end anytime soon.  Yesterday was a very volatile day. Were starting out again today with all three major indexes down over 2%.  There's nothing fake about what's going on in the markets.  I would hold on tight for a while. It could be a very rough ride.