Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think it would be a bad thing at all for Biden to have an extensive interview with a major legacy media vehicle like the Times, provided he nails it, and I think the administration would like to do so. It’s a risk, though, and it could go upside down in unexpected and uncontrollable ways that wouldn’t apply to prior presidents, which may be why they’re avoiding putting Biden out there in the first place.

He did do an interview with The New Yorker around the SOTU, so it's not like hasn't done one with a legacy outlet recently.

I think it's less about his abilities and more about the fact that he just doesn't like or care for The New York Times and doesn't want to give them the time. Whether it's the right posture or not is another matter... like Boehner said in his memoir, sometimes you gotta feed the alligators, and I agree with you that he'd probably be better off just doing it and letting the chips fall where they may.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, oblong said:

That will reach more people.

I love that he's doing Stern.  He's flipping off the NYT.

An interview with the Times probably has some effects indirectly (ie. coverage in other media, how journalists on cable cover / detail the interview, etc.), but in terms of direct contact, this is unironically true.

Just now, mtutiger said:

An interview with the Times probably has some effects indirectly (ie. coverage in other media, how journalists on cable cover / detail the interview, etc.), but in terms of direct contact, this is unironically true.

and clips of it will show up on tiktok and reels and youtube shorts.

That's how people under 30 get their information. 

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I would imagine mostly 35-49 and 49-64.... he draws about 10 mil/day still

I've caught bits and pieces of interviews on YouTube. What I've heard he seems to have mellowed with age, was just never a fan (plus I was working a lot when his shows aired)

I did recently catch an interview with one of his former program directors (not Pig Vomit, but the guy who replaced him) and he said he got along great with him at WNBC. 

Back to the original premise of the Biden interview, I hope to catch it on line. It would probably be better than most mainstream interview with politicians.

Edited by CMRivdogs

2 hours ago, oblong said:

That will reach more people.

I love that he's doing Stern.  He's flipping off the NYT.

And of course, truth is, he doesn’t need the NYT. 99% of NYT readers already support him and are more irritated at the Times in this affair than Biden. 

Biden has a pretty good sense of where he needs to put in effort he has the energy for and what’s just distraction.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

How many interviews did Reagan do in 1984?

Asking for a friend...

40 years ago isn’t a good comparison, imo. The world, and forms of media, have expanded geometrically.