Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Apropos of nothing, I do the midweek shopping for us since I am out and about on scheduled trips anyway. I frequently pick up eggs at Mariano’s on these trips and most of the time, they don’t even have prices on display with the standard eggs I get. Some premium-priced eggs do have prices and I see they cost three-something these days. But Mariano’s does have a lot of items without price tags throughout the store, or items routinely and persistently misracked behind price labels for other items, and, of course, palates of unopened still-bubble-wrapped inventory on the floor in the middle of the aisles during the middle of the day. I love living in Big Shoulders, but I gotta believe our grocery stores are among the worst of any large city in America.

Yeah, the grocery market leaves a lot to be desired here.... my understanding with Marianos is that they used to be better until Kroger bought them, but idk, we're still feeling things out.

We're pretty far out, so we're mostly doing Aldi/Jewel.... occasionally Meijer or Target, or Tony's if we're looking for more ethnic options.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Single income household with two kids, mid 30s.... we are affected by inflation.

But when I see a viral post on social media about someone complaining that a Giant Size box of Cheerios is $8.49 (when there are multiple other stores in the same area that carry the same item for $6.49), that's a sign of intellectual dishonesty and/or a lack of personal responsibility for poor financial choices.

Well, to a point.  Some of the poorest of the poor, both urban and rural, don't have easy access to another store in the area/region.  My mother in law has a lake house in Farwell, about 25 minutes north of Mt. Pleasant.  We try and bring all of our food whenever we go because the local mom and pop stores in Clare or the Dollar Generals aren't cheap.  Look at Detroit and how many folks get food out of gas stations.  

But yeah, if I see that on Facebook, it's probably my mom who goes to a specific meat market for her meat, gets most of her stuff at Aldi, and hits Meijer for a few items she consistently finds cheaper there.  

14 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Well, to a point.  Some of the poorest of the poor, both urban and rural, don't have easy access to another store in the area/region.  My mother in law has a lake house in Farwell, about 25 minutes north of Mt. Pleasant.  We try and bring all of our food whenever we go because the local mom and pop stores in Clare or the Dollar Generals aren't cheap.  Look at Detroit and how many folks get food out of gas stations.  

But yeah, if I see that on Facebook, it's probably my mom who goes to a specific meat market for her meat, gets most of her stuff at Aldi, and hits Meijer for a few items she consistently finds cheaper there.  

Yours points are all well taken 

Unrelated to above, I feel like I'm moving towards a lot of you folks in regards to how I handle Trump in my head.  I find myself not posting as much as frankly, even if I disagree with something, I don't care enough to address it.

Like did Fani Willis do something corrupt and illegal - I mean, obviously, but who really cares right now.  Let's get back to the Trump case, GA can deal with her after, if at all, I don't care.

Or Ukraine, it's a disaster and the Ukrainian forces aren't getting enough artillery or other bull**** lines we're hearing in MSM because we haven't given them more money is bull****, but again, i'm apathetic now.  Give them some more, let them deplete Russia some more.  

Trump truly is making me apathetic to everything.  I feel like even if we win (by not electing Trump next term), the damage is still too much on the global stage....ugh, just hate this/him.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Unrelated to above, I feel like I'm moving towards a lot of you folks in regards to how I handle Trump in my head.  I find myself not posting as much as frankly, even if I disagree with something, I don't care enough to address it.

Like did Fani Willis do something corrupt and illegal - I mean, obviously, but who really cares right now.  Let's get back to the Trump case, GA can deal with her after, if at all, I don't care.

Or Ukraine, it's a disaster and the Ukrainian forces aren't getting enough artillery or other bull**** lines we're hearing in MSM because we haven't given them more money is bull****, but again, i'm apathetic now.  Give them some more, let them deplete Russia some more.  

Trump truly is making me apathetic to everything.  I feel like even if we win (by not electing Trump next term), the damage is still too much on the global stage....ugh, just hate this/him.

Novel approach to apathy.

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I saw something yesterday (I'd have to go find it) that indicated that interest in news sites, particularly in the conservative space, is down considerably compared to four years ago. And on the GOP side in particular, the decline of small dollar donors into Trump's campaign is pretty stark versus four years ago.

I don't know what any of it means, certainly the polls indicate a rosier picture than some of the fundamentals show for Trump (fundraising in particular), but I do think you are onto something in that engagement is just down going into this election versus 2020. I see it where I am and, tbh, I even hear similar sentiments to what you have said above from people in my life who have supported Trump in the past. 

People are exhausted, and I would not be surprised if this ends up being a lower turnout election overall (ie. attrition on both sides) versus 2020

34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I saw something yesterday (I'd have to go find it) that indicated that interest in news sites, particularly in the conservative space, is down considerably compared to four years ago. And on the GOP side in particular, the decline of small dollar donors into Trump's campaign is pretty stark versus four years ago.

So basically among "conservatives" it's see no evil, hear no evil....

Just now, mtutiger said:

Just to clarify, a lot of conservative news sites have seen significant declines in traffic (places like Breitbart) as well.

I wonder how conservative sites compare with other news sites. Basically a lot of the "news" startups in the last several years have seen severe cutbacks or gone out business completely. 

8 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My point was the upper middle class doesn't understand the struggle families are feeling. 

Eggs are cheap, let them eat cake!

Good idea. Cakes are cheaper than eggs!

image.thumb.png.f4e777fe66c3ea4f03369eb61e9afd35.png

image.thumb.png.a753071d0f66c175e4cb4f64734240ab.png

Edited by chasfh

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Shot:

Chaser:

Journalists realize that they can point out inconsistencies in these statements right? I'd be embarrassed if Twitter Community Notes was getting out in front on that 

You can be embarrassed only if you have a sense of shame.

16 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yes sir, another contributing factor for the obesity rate of poor Americans. 

I remember maybe 12 or 15 or so years ago, on the old MTS board, certain posters arguing at the time that people must have been faking being poor to get handouts because so many of them were so fat, and how can they be so poor and so in need of the government cheese our tax dollars pay for when they already have so much presumably expensive food to eat because they’re so fat?

Ah, the good ol’ days …

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who identifies as an "Independent" is voting for Trump.

Anyone who says they are "Uncommited" is voting for Trump.

Anyone who says "Biden's age is a concern" is voting for Trump.

Not sure how the media or anyone doesn't understand this yet.

30 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Anyone who identifies as an "Independent" is voting for Trump.

Anyone who says they are "Uncommited" is voting for Trump.

Anyone who says "Biden's age is a concern" is voting for Trump.

Not sure how the media or anyone doesn't understand this yet.

That describes most of my friends and relatives and many of them will not be voting for Trump.  

Both.

Trump is BIG money to the media and others so they will always hype him, put a positive spin on anything negative and/or flat out ignore anything negative.

Like Homer Simpson said "...if you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."