Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

It's insane the degree to which Trump's transgressions get buried just because the press considers the cake baked. 

Like, come the F on.... it doesn't matter if people expect him to act like a toddler and break laws, it's still front page news when you have an ex-POTUS out there spreading state secrets at his Private Club lol

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:11 PM, Tigerbomb13 said:

A major news network host calling for civil war. Nothing to see here. 

He’s advocating for fascism, which is politics by violence, because he and his cabal know that in a free and fair elections, his side gets smoked. So if they can’t keep their opposition from voting at all, and if they can’t fix the voting machines, and if they can’t overturn elections after the fact, all they have left is to start killing people en masse. Otherwise, they lose their chance to control America and, by extension, the world. Big stakes here.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting data points on how TwitX has lurched rightward since Musk took it over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/10/27/elon-musk-twitter-x-anniversary/

One year after billionaire Elon Musk bought Twitter for $44 billion, aiming to rid it of a “woke mind virus” that he believed was suppressing free speech, the site’s business outlook appears dire.

The number of people actively tweeting has dropped by more than 30 percent, according to previously unreported data obtained by The Washington Post, and the company — which the entrepreneur behind Tesla and SpaceX has renamed X — is hemorrhaging advertisers and revenue, interviews show.

But in at least one respect, Musk has delivered on his original promise: Twitter has become far less “woke.”

Through dramatic product changes, sudden policy shifts and his own outsize presence on the platform, Musk has rapidly re-engineered who has a voice on a service that used to be the hub of real-time news and global debate. A site that fueled social movements such as the Arab Spring, Black Lives Matter and #MeToo has veered noticeably rightward under Musk, especially in the United States, say organizers from across the political spectrum.

image.thumb.png.8afa268d9734e658119b475b06dc27d7.png

A Post analysis of dozens of conservative and right-wing influencers and media figures found that many saw their follower counts rise on the day Musk became owner and continue rising at a rate higher than under Twitter’s previous ownership. None of the dozens of popular liberal and left-wing accounts examined by The Post show the same pattern.

image.thumb.png.b1dfb609b674f19df56d40e1fd312156.png

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Interesting data points on how TwitX has lurched rightward since Musk took it over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/10/27/elon-musk-twitter-x-anniversary/

One year after billionaire Elon Musk bought Twitter for $44 billion, aiming to rid it of a “woke mind virus” that he believed was suppressing free speech, the site’s business outlook appears dire.

The number of people actively tweeting has dropped by more than 30 percent, according to previously unreported data obtained by The Washington Post, and the company — which the entrepreneur behind Tesla and SpaceX has renamed X — is hemorrhaging advertisers and revenue, interviews show.

But in at least one respect, Musk has delivered on his original promise: Twitter has become far less “woke.”

Through dramatic product changes, sudden policy shifts and his own outsize presence on the platform, Musk has rapidly re-engineered who has a voice on a service that used to be the hub of real-time news and global debate. A site that fueled social movements such as the Arab Spring, Black Lives Matter and #MeToo has veered noticeably rightward under Musk, especially in the United States, say organizers from across the political spectrum.

image.thumb.png.8afa268d9734e658119b475b06dc27d7.png

A Post analysis of dozens of conservative and right-wing influencers and media figures found that many saw their follower counts rise on the day Musk became owner and continue rising at a rate higher than under Twitter’s previous ownership. None of the dozens of popular liberal and left-wing accounts examined by The Post show the same pattern.

image.thumb.png.b1dfb609b674f19df56d40e1fd312156.png

I'm pretty close to leaving tbh. The Israel-Gaza Conflict (and the rhetoric that has stemmed from it) has been ugly ugly ugly, and it no doubt has been exacerbated by the platform.

But along those lines, I've had the "For You" page open by default lately (despite settings for "Following" to be a default for my account) and have noticed that it is tailored to be ugly and garner negative engagement. In a manipulative way.

The platform has always been a ****show since I've been using it, but some of the changes (pushing "For You"; taking out headlines from news stories) make it far less useful.

I'm using it less, not intentionally, but just because it's not giving me anything I want so I naturally just don't go as much. It's not informative.  I might do another purge of who I follow to make it more specific to sports and entertainment rather than news.

I keep trying threads but it's not doing it yet for me. 

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm using it less, not intentionally, but just because it's not giving me anything I want so I naturally just don't go as much. It's not informative.  I might do another purge of who I follow to make it more specific to sports and entertainment rather than news.

I keep trying threads but it's not doing it yet for me. 

Threads is terrible. Tried it, god awful.

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

Bluesky is sitting right there in position to take over but still insists on sticking to their stupid invite system.  No idea what their thinking is.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants an invite to Bluesky, let me know.   

Their invite system is likely designed to keep bots out.

I dropped twitter cold turkey about 1 or so months ago.   I feel less informed about unimportant stuff.   I hear way less about Musk.   I hear way less about the minutiae of politics that won't matter 3 days from now.  

I catch up using post.news but it's not nearly as active.   

I miss twitterduring games.   I miss the truly hilarious and talented accounts like the pitchbot or the football coach but overall to hell with musk and zuck

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just signed up for BlueSky, typed in a dozen accounts from Twitter to follow, maybe five are on it, and some of them haven't posted in months. So, a little slow on the uptake.

Yeah, I have accounts I'm following that haven't even posted yet.  Keep waiting for the floodgates to open but nothing yet.  

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Twitter is still useful for niche stuff. I've culled almost all news and try to go to legit sources now. Particularly, anything I see on Israel/Gaza from a non-legit source I ignore it and try to make sure that doesn't show up in my timeline anymore.

Yeah, that's probably how I proceed going forward. At least will try it anyway in the short term.

Sports and a couple other areas of interests to myself make it hard to walk away completely, but the reality is that my internal pendulum is swinging pretty hard against using the platform going forward without making serious changes. It's just gotten extremely ugly and misinformation is rampant.

I think the "For You" thing, and how I think they, in subtle ways, push you toward that feed really angers me though. It seems like that feed is way more toxic than the real time feed and that it's intentional 

Edited by mtutiger

On 10/7/2023 at 9:53 PM, chasfh said:

He’s advocating for fascism, which is politics by violence, because he and his cabal know that in a free and fair elections, his side gets smoked. So if they can’t keep their opposition from voting at all, and if they can’t fix the voting machines, and if they can’t overturn elections after the fact, all they have left is to start killing people en masse. Otherwise, they lose their chance to control America and, by extension, the world. Big stakes here.

Well, look at all the mass shootings...........While they're not all right-wingers but finding left wingers doing this is like stumbling across a stray brown M&M in Van Halen's candy dish.          They already have started. 

I signed up for in Oct 2011 because the Tigers were in the playoffs and there was a rain delay.  I noticed people on this site were using tweets to indicate when the game would resume.  I was with friends tailgating and signed up so I could follow along and know when we could head in.  I think it was an Oakland series.