Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

As an aside, can someone explain the Arizona call thing to me? They got it right. They could not have affected the outcome because the polls were already closed. So whats the beef exactly? I'll never understand it. 

Because it affected the narrative.  That gave Biden the needed perception that he won and put Trump and his team on the defensive.  And it hurt the viewers feelings and pissed them off.  I think both equally bothered fox staffers.

Not unlike what happened in 2000 when Florida was called for Bush then pulled back.  Not saying it would affected that outcome either but it plants the seed that one guy has an edge already.  It's all about optics.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Counter:  45m murders is actually a lot more murders than 6m murders. 

I mean.... it's not even an issue of degree in this scenario.  It's not true that one is simply worse than the other.  Until we see multiple lawsuits against MSNBC, including settlements, then it's not a true analogy in any sense.

MSNBC is a circle jerk at times for lefties.... but that's their enjoyment to have.  It's harmless.  Think of it like one group of people likes to have consensual orgies and another likes to go gang rape people.  They are clearly not the same thing!  That's MSNBC and Fox.  Now a evangelical or religious nut might look at both as demented perverts but in a legal sense but that's not relevant to overall standards.

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

MSNBC is a circle jerk at times for lefties.... but that's their enjoyment to have.  It's harmless.  Think of it like one group of people likes to have consensual orgies and another likes to go gang rape people.  They are clearly not the same thing!  That's MSNBC and Fox.  Now a evangelical or religious nut might look at both as demented perverts but in a legal sense but that's not relevant to overall standards.

Hmmm … depends … who’s doing which?

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

Because it affected the narrative.  That gave Biden the needed perception that he won and put Trump and his team on the defensive.  And it hurt the viewers feelings and pissed them off.  I think both equally bothered fox staffers.

Not unlike what happened in 2000 when Florida was called for Bush then pulled back.  Not saying it would affected that outcome either but it plants the seed that one guy has an edge already.  It's all about optics.

Remember when the FOX decision desk called Ohio for Obama in 2008 and Karl Rove had a meltdown about it on air and Megyn Kelly walked over to the decision desk to see what the **** was up with that? Now THAT’S entertainment.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

Didn’t the person responsible for the AZ call for Fox get let go?

I believe he did get pushed out the door.

Not in the Vladimir Putin sense... that is.

But rather, in the Murdoch/ Fox sense... "You didn't MAGA so **** you and here's the door..."

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MIguy said:

On the subject,  this is an interesting news site that I just stumbled across.  They post articles that are considered, left, right and center on the news of the day.

https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

I like news aggregators as much as the next guy, but AP is left? Since when?

https://adfontesmedia.com/gallery/

Feels like they are trying to shift the perception of media bias to the right with that, as also evidenced by trying to normalize Daily Caller or Townhall as being similarly-respected news sites.

Interesting how All Sides make the bold claim that they are “strengthening democracy” with their product right in the first sentence of their About page. Rather self-aggrandizing, that. John Gable, the guy who founded and runs it, also worked for a political party he won’t name in his LinkedIn profile, but which Entrepreneur magazine revealed in 2016 was Republican. 

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, oblong said:

I mean.... it's not even an issue of degree in this scenario.  It's not true that one is simply worse than the other.  Until we see multiple lawsuits against MSNBC, including settlements, then it's not a true analogy in any sense.

Again, i'm not saying MSNBC rises to the level of what FoxNews did, but well before Trump's last election you could find many high level Democratic leaders on MSNBC talking about the 2016 election or talking about Georgia/Abrahms and saying that the election was rigged/stolen, Trump was not legitimate, etc.  I have been told that simply sewing the seed that the 2020 election may not have been legit is the mark most on this site needed to deem FoxNews a bad faith actor and culpable (along with Trump) for 1/6.  

In no way am I saying MSNBC rose to the levels FoxNews did, but it's not fair for you folks to completely write it off like it was harmless.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

I like news aggregators as much as the next guy, but AP is left? Since when?

https://adfontesmedia.com/gallery/

Feels like they are trying to shift the perception of media bias to the right with that, as also evidenced by trying to normalize Daily Caller or Townhall as being similarly-respected news sites.

Interesting how All Sides make the bold claim that they are “strengthening democracy” with their product right in the first sentence of their About page. Rather self-aggrandizing, that. John Gable, the guy who founded and runs it, also worked for a political party he won’t name in his LinkedIn profile, but which Entrepreneur magazine revealed in 2016 was Republican. 

They use a LLCRR scale for rating and the AP falls in between left and center.  The problem I found is that they are letting users rate the sources.  They should really just go with ratings from an independent source rather than letting the votes of the users account for a portion of the final rating.

56 minutes ago, MIguy said:

They use a LLCRR scale for rating and the AP falls in between left and center.  The problem I found is that they are letting users rate the sources.  They should really just go with ratings from an independent source rather than letting the votes of the users account for a portion of the final rating.

Agree. This is why I prefer the ad fontes model.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Again, i'm not saying MSNBC rises to the level of what FoxNews did, but well before Trump's last election you could find many high level Democratic leaders on MSNBC talking about the 2016 election or talking about Georgia/Abrahms and saying that the election was rigged/stolen, Trump was not legitimate, etc.  I have been told that simply sewing the seed that the 2020 election may not have been legit is the mark most on this site needed to deem FoxNews a bad faith actor and culpable (along with Trump) for 1/6.  

In no way am I saying MSNBC rose to the levels FoxNews did, but it's not fair for you folks to completely write it off like it was harmless.

Any examples of how MSNBC has harmed?

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

https://ground.news/

I'm a fan of this site.  It uses a few different sites that determine bias by publication (not story) and from there, just points out which stories are getting reported and if those stories are being reported mostly on the left, the right, or both. 

This is interesting, I hadn't been to this site before. This I find particularly interesting:

image.thumb.png.15b4151fa16c2d7968a310ab6ea357ac.png

The assessment of news vehicles as left, center, or right; and varying degrees of factuality. I would love to find a list of all the vehicles they draw from and how they rate on these attributes. I can't locate that on their site. Have you seen one? I've clicked on every link under the three bars and am coming up empty. I wouldn't doubt if they regarded something like that as their secret sauce, or as a way to protect the appearance of source integrity or something.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This is interesting, I hadn't been to this site before. This I find particularly interesting:

image.thumb.png.15b4151fa16c2d7968a310ab6ea357ac.png

The assessment of news vehicles as left, center, or right; and varying degrees of factuality. I would love to find a list of all the vehicles they draw from and how they rate on these attributes. I can't locate that on their site. Have you seen one? I've clicked on every link under the three bars and am coming up empty. I wouldn't doubt if they regarded something like that as their secret sauce, or as a way to protect the appearance of source integrity or something.

Yeah, I like this one too.  Thanks!

They talk about it here......

https://ground.news/rating-system#factualityCategory

The Ground News factuality score is an assessment of the reporting practices of a news publication. The score is based on the average rating of three rating systems:  Ad Fontes Media, Media Bias Fact Check and Wikipedia.

The score takes into consideration things like the credibility of sources used, the speed at which corrections are made, and whether the language retains context. This score does not measure the factuality of specific news articles. The analysis is done at the publication level.

You might come across a news publication that has not been rated by one or two of these organizations, in which case we take an average of the ratings available. Some news organizations don’t have any ratings, and therefore aren’t included in the Factuality Score. These ratings are updated on an ongoing basis.