Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

Just now, Tigerbomb13 said:

Call me crazy, but I don’t think reporting on racial and LGBTQ rights as a far left stance. It’s a human rights stance. 

The thing is that the Biathlete community has a real grievance being lumped in with all them preverts and weirdos. 

Just now, Tigerbomb13 said:

Call me crazy, but I don’t think reporting on racial and LGBTQ rights as a far left stance. It’s a human rights stance. 

That's not what my comment said or implied at all and you know it.  The simple fact is that Fox News pushing their agenda and MSNBC pushes theirs.  

What is the MSNBC agenda?

I know the Fox agenda.  It's to make old white people angry and scared of minorities.

If both are equally bad then what is MSNBC trying to do?

I'm sensing a little bit of "they're shoving it down our throats" when a commercial shows an interracial or gay couple.  No... they are just confirming that these situations do exist.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

What is the MSNBC agenda?

I know the Fox agenda.  It's to make old white people angry and scared of minorities.

If both are equally bad then what is MSNBC trying to do?

I'm sensing a little bit of "they're shoving it down our throats" when a commercial shows an interracial or gay couple.  No... they are just confirming that these situations do exist.

You might want to calibrate your radar because you're way off here.  A person can support LGTBQ people while at the same time saying there are certain areas, such as competing in sports, where they shouldn't be allowed.  A person can believe that there is racism in the country without thinking that every time a black person is shot and killed by the police, it must have been caused by the color of their skin.  MSNBC pushes their agenda every bit as hard as Fox pushes theirs.  What would be fantastic is if the news just reported the news and stopped ignoring certain stories and pushing others that fit the narrative they want to put out there. 

Edited by MIguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

That's not what my comment said or implied at all and you know it.  The simple fact is that Fox News pushing their agenda and MSNBC pushes theirs.  

I agree that getting your news from primary sources rather than predigested by advocates is always preferable. But my biggest problem with the television for news in general is that it is a hopelessly time wasting way to get your information, so I'm not going to give hours of my life to cable or network news of any persuasion.

That said, the difference is that while MSNBC's slant may sometimes be of dubious net social value, the overall value of Fox's is decidedly malignant and largely directed to the specific interests of Murdoch's oligarchical politics. Given the choice between something that may simply be occasionally misguided and something that is quite deliberately malicious, I don't see a moral equivalence, even if there is a certain functional equivalence in the advocacy.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That said, the difference is that while MSNBC's slant may sometimes be of dubious net social value, the overall value of Fox's is decidedly malignant and largely directed to the specific interests of Murdoch's oligarchical politics

Absolutely. Fox is malignant.. and out and out lies at times.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

MSNBC never paid 780m settlement....   quite a difference for being the same

Of course Fox are a bunch of liars, I won't defend them for a second.  Hopefully Smartmatic takes them for even more and someone else is fired as a result.   I'd also love to see Hunter Biden file a lawsuit against them since they spend so much time spewing accusations against him without evidence to back it up.  

I think the problem is that in normal discussion, degrees of awfulness is not apparent. So if I think Fox is at a level 100, doesn't mean other media outlets can't be biased and be promoting an agenda, even if their level of awfulness is only a 50. Doesn't make them equivalent, but it also doesn't absolve the less awful outlet from any criticism, and we shouldn't attack a poster for having such an opinion. IMO

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MIguy said:

Remember about 4 comments ago when you were going to stop?  The fact that you're still trying to poke and prod makes it even more apparent exactly what you're looking for here.

Sorry that you got so triggered over someone calling your precious MSNBC "far left".    You'll get through these trying times, I promise you will.  

Triggered?  Is that your horse's name?

5 hours ago, MIguy said:

You might want to calibrate your radar because you're way off here.  A person can support LGTBQ people while at the same time saying there are certain areas, such as competing in sports, where they shouldn't be allowed.  A person can believe that there is racism in the country without thinking that every time a black person is shot and killed by the police, it must have been caused by the color of their skin.  MSNBC pushes their agenda every bit as hard as Fox pushes theirs.  What would be fantastic is if the news just reported the news and stopped ignoring certain stories and pushing others that fit the narrative they want to put out there. 

Your words were they were “pushing racial and LGBTQ issues”. I drew a reasonable conclusion based on those words.  If inaccurate then you can correct it.  

5 hours ago, ben9753 said:

I think the problem is that in normal discussion, degrees of awfulness is not apparent. So if I think Fox is at a level 100, doesn't mean other media outlets can't be biased and be promoting an agenda, even if their level of awfulness is only a 50. Doesn't make them equivalent, but it also doesn't absolve the less awful outlet from any criticism, and we shouldn't attack a poster for having such an opinion. IMO

yeah, this is fair.   I don't think MSNBC is far left, and I don't they're the other side of the Fox coin.... but they definitely do at least lean left.  In my gut I think hosts like Chris Hayes and Maddow are pretty far left but I think the content is largely neo lib.   I think if they were far left they wouldn't be so pro-Ukraine war.  

16 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Spent years trying to argue this level of nuance, on multiple boards and with posters who didn't make the transition to the new board, to no avail.

I dont take in any of it, cable news is largely garbage. But MSNBC having a liberal slant, in and of itself, does not make them a mirror image of Fox News, or mean that they have the same editorial issues that Fox News has.

Edited by mtutiger

side topic:  did AI make this huge faux pas and was this in the FBI criminal complaint?  And if so, who is getting fired? 

Feds bust Livonia bank robber with 4-year-old son in getaway car (freep.com)

In a criminal complaint filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court, William Davis was charged with bank robbery and using a gun during a crime of violence at the Comerica Bank on Fifth Street in Livonia, where the FBI says he waved a loaded gun, cocked it at one point and ordered employees to give him money.

The article later makes clear they mean 5 Mile road.  if this was the reporter being a dope, well fine.  If it was an AI-driven editing process: God help us against these machines when they decide to eliminate imperfections. 

17 hours ago, ben9753 said:

I rarely post in the politic forum anymore because of this. I enjoy reading everyone's opinons though.it does feel like if you post a different opinion you will get piled on. So I really just see alot of back patting but not much debate.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

side topic:  did AI make this huge faux pas and was this in the FBI criminal complaint?  And if so, who is getting fired? 

Feds bust Livonia bank robber with 4-year-old son in getaway car (freep.com)

The article later makes clear they mean 5 Mile road.  if this was the reporter being a dope, well fine.  If it was an AI-driven editing process: God help us against these machines when they decide to eliminate imperfections. 

This is what happens when big media conglomerates decide to cut corners by getting rid of editors instead of board members for salary purposes.

12 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

This is what happens when big media conglomerates decide to cut corners by getting rid of editors instead of board members for salary purposes.

I hope the human jury lets the bank robber off if this was the FBI's criminal complaint.