Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course the problem isn't really the Nuke plant - it's the Russians occupying it. You don't need the whole Kakhovka reservoir to keep a reactor in cold shutdown safe, but you do need to do something in the several months available before the current water supply runs down - run a temporary water main or maybe sink a well or two etc. But given the malignancy that everything Russian currently is, any of that could turn into a problem it doesn't need to be.

My Post-Soviet Studies prof used to tell the story that the Soviet Union offered some of the land occupied after WWII in the Karelian isthmus back to Finland as part of some trade they were proposing and the Finns shook their heads and said no thanks due to the degradation of the land and soil by the Soviets and their ham-fisted management. 

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My Post-Soviet Studies prof used to tell the story that the Soviet Union offered some of the land occupied after WWII in the Karelian isthmus back to Finland as part of some trade they were proposing and the Finns shook their heads and said no thanks due to the degradation of the land and soil by the Soviets and their ham-fisted management. 

I'd link it if I remembered where I saw it but apparently Putin is in the process of removing the last vestiges of autononous local management out in the counrty side, moving to make all rmaining local governing offices Moscow appointments. I'm sure that will improve the nation's long term outlook. I wonder if with the LSR the Ukrainians are on to something no-one in the West has had the imagination to conceive might succeed, which is to actually foment indigenous armed rebellion in Russia.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd link it if I remembered where I saw it but apparently Putin is in the process of removing the last vestiges of autononous local management out in the counrty side, moving to make all rmaining local governing offices Moscow appointments. I'm sure that will improve the nation's long term outlook. I wonder if with the LSR the Ukrainians are on to something no-one in the West has had the imagination to conceive might succeed, which is to actually foment indigenous armed rebellion in Russia.

Well, we would be crossing a pretty thick red line to actually make that happen in Russia proper. 

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Well, we would be crossing a pretty thick red line to actually make that happen in Russia proper. 

For us true, for the Ukrainians, who don't actually exist anyway, not so much. Amirite?

and of course there was a time we might have said the same things about red lines and  Russia trying to manipulate US elections.  

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For us true, for the Ukrainians, who don't actually exist anyway, not so much. Amirite?

and of course there was a time we might have said the same things about red lines and  Russia trying to manipulate US elections.  

Edited by romad1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...