Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The obsession with the Kennedys in general is very weird from the right wing conspiracy crowd... now added to that is the RFK Jr. campaign that is being cheerled as a stalking horse campaign by the same folks

They were always jealous of Kennedy. Young guy, articulate, eloquent, charismatic, hot young wife, groupie magnet. Who was the last Republican you can think of who filled that bill? Honest question, there might be one, I’m just coming up blank on it.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

They were always jealous of Kennedy. Young guy, articulate, eloquent, charismatic, hot young wife, groupie magnet. Who was the last Republican you can think of who filled that bill? Honest question, there might be one, I’m just coming up blank on it.

They also like to play the "He was back when Democrats were normal" card.  Even though at the time the right wingers wanted him killed for treason.  They like to point out his tax cuts as an example of "even Democrats did it at one point".  He cut them from 91 to 70% and corporate from 52 to 48.

Democrats do that with George HW Bush.  But I would argue it's obvious the party is much different now.

FWIW, I don't think GHWB was particularly "normal" as a Republican. He was part of the Reagan cabal that set the party on a course toward the extreme right, for cry eye. The only thing Bush had going for him that made him seem statesmanlike was that he successfully prosecuted a war against Saddam (whom, as you may remember, he successfully rechristened as "Sodom".) Plus, Bush was genuinely avuncular as well, which you don't see much of in today's R.

I think the last of the "normal" Republicans was Eisenhower, and that's because he was basically the last of the extinct Dewey faction of the party.

Edited by chasfh

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

FWIW, I don't think GHWB was particularly "normal" as a Republican. He was part of the Reagan cabal that set the party on a course toward the extreme right, for cry eye. The only thing Bush had going for him that made him seem statesmanlike was that he successfully prosecuted a war against Saddam (whom, as you may remember, he successfully rechristened as "Sodom".) Plus, Bush was genuinely avuncular as well, which you don't see much of in today's R.

I think the last of the "normal" Republicans was Eisenhower, and that's because he was basically the last of the extinct Dewey faction of the party.

HW Bush was to the left of Reagan.  Reagan's people didn't want him as VP and Bush wasn't a big fan of Reagan's anyway (Voodoo economics) but felt called into service when asked to run.  Even though he lived in Texas as an adult he was part of the more liberal Northeast republican establishment.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, ben9753 said:

Yay get ready for the great whitewashing. CNN is being used by Trump and they’re either too stupid to see it or too craven to care. Not sure which is worse. 

They are using him too.  Their relationship is mutually profitable.  CNN and all the other networks are going to keep covering everything he does through the 2024 election because the audience wants to see it. 

If Licht was interested in correcting some screwups involving overlooking parts of the electorate, he could have started by inviting some of the suburban moms who actually cared about things like Roe being overturned into the audience and delivered a surprisingly poor midterm for the GOP in 2022.

But the myth of 2015/16 lives on because the financial incentives for the media dictate that.

• Thanks 1

You can cover Trump as he's the probable GOP nominee, until someone outpolls him, but it should be noted every time he's under indictment, liable for sexual assault, and encouraged an insurrection in an attempt to stage a coup.  Those 3 things are all true and can be said each time he's brought up in a story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

You can cover Trump as he's the probable GOP nominee, until someone outpolls him, but it should be noted every time he's under indictment, liable for sexual assault, and encouraged an insurrection in an attempt to stage a coup.  Those 3 things are all true and can be said each time he's brought up in a story.

My issue isn't with covering him or even giving him this town hall, it's how they executed it. This was not an event that was supposed to inform the audience or get tough answers, it was basically a televised rally for the former President with an audience filled with people who are already in the tank for him.

The only real saving grace is that there's a decent chance the ratings weren't all that good anyway (he was going up against NBA/NHL playoffs and there's still a ton of Trump fatigue outside of the hardcore base) and that every time he ends up in the news, his poll #'s among the broader electorate tends to go down.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The idea that CNN's CEO thinks it's the media's job to "make news"

Bingo. He's another closet fascist trying to keep just enough lipstick on his pig so he can't still travel in A-list circles without being hissed at by the glitterati.

Edited by gehringer_2

I know the left freaks out when Trump is covered, but that's all the left does as well.  I didn't watch all of it, but Collins definitely pushed him and forced him to answer questions.  If used correctly, those answers can be used against him during a campaign.

The audience that came out were obviously Trump fans, but she got him on the record with quite a few things.  Did anyone see his debt limit response?  He admits he said it was a horrible idea to hold the country hostage with a debt limit, but then says it's alright right now because he's not president.  It shows the hypocrisy and hopefully those soccer mom's that voted for him in 2016, but backed away in 2020, noticed it as well.

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I know the left freaks out when Trump is covered, but that's all the left does as well.  I didn't watch all of it, but Collins definitely pushed him and forced him to answer questions.  If used correctly, those answers can be used against him during a campaign.

The audience that came out were obviously Trump fans, but she got him on the record with quite a few things.  Did anyone see his debt limit response?  He admits he said it was a horrible idea to hold the country hostage with a debt limit, but then says it's alright right now because he's not president.  It shows the hypocrisy and hopefully those soccer mom's that voted for him in 2016, but backed away in 2020, noticed it as well.

Those women noticed that they will be getting sex offender warnings when he visits their town. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

So Chris Licht flat out states that CNN's job is to make a LOT of news.

Oh dear.

This was an interview.  Absolutely it's the job of an interviewer to help facilitate news.  I wish more in the media believed this.  Unfortunately we've moved into a place where our leaders just put out statements and don't answer to anyone.