Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

ground.news

I came across this site via Reddit.  Maybe I'm late to the party, but it's interesting.  I haven't been on it enough to determine if there are any issues with their process.  In short, they use a third party that labels a news outlet as left, right, or center and then they simply point out what is big in the news and a breakdown of who is reporting on it.  

For instance, the NIH removed funding from the Wuhan lab, it's only being reported by right leaning outlets.  There are calls for a GOP member of congress to be arrested for some incident with an activist, that's only being reported by left leaning outlets.

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

For instance, the NIH removed funding from the Wuhan lab  it's only being reported by right leaning outlets. 

this is not the whole story on this issue. I read about NIH's issues with Wuhan very early in the pandemic and it was not in any RW media. It was all there in the new sections of sources like 'Science' mag. If you want to rag on the MSM for being illiterate and lazy on scientific issues, I won't quibble, but I think it's far more a matter of ignorance/incompetence than agenda. The problem is that anyone well trained enough in science to be reading sources like "Science" is probably working in science rather then being a journalist - because it pays a lot better! So that's a whole social/economic issue for a nation with a free press and scientific/techincal society to confront. In general the scientific/technological reporting on *all* questions in the US media is abysmal. Ask anyone who is relatively expert in a technical field if they ever seen anything in the MSM about their specialty that isn't rife with errors and misunderstanding and they'll likely agree they don't.

Interestingly enough, way back in the day, one of the very brightest classmates of mine who was a science major ended up being the Science editor for Newsweek for many years, because 50 yrs ago that was a good gig. Not so much anymore apparently.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is not the whole story on this issue.

Point taken, but note I wasn't giving any opinion on what the headline could indicate, regardless of any bias you may or may not have, but the fact that if you look for your news based on your bias, you're missing legitimate stories, even if the full context of that story might back up your ideas anyway.

18 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

but the fact that if you look for your news based on your bias, you're missing legitimate stories,

this is certainly true. To me that is the great weakness conuming your news from a passive device like a TV  - it's too self-contained. If I see a by-line about something on the net - if I have any interest - I can easily find some primary source that lays out the facts and/or background with the minimal 'interpretation' that may give me a totally different understanding from that of the blow-dried Bob reading copy on Action News, or worse the arguing marionettes on cable.

Not that the net can't be bad. Certainly you get as or more misinformed on Twitter as anywhere, but at least you have to option not to be.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is certainly true. To me that is the great weakness conuming your news from a passive device like a TV  - it's too self-contained. If I see a by-line about something on the net - if I have any interest - I can easily find some primary source that lays out the facts and/or background with the minimal 'interpretation' that may give me a totally different understanding from that of the blow-dried Bob reading copy on Action News, or worse the arguing marionettes on cable.

Not that the net can't be bad. Certainly you get as or more misinformed on Twitter as anywhere, but at least you have to option not to be.

There might be a case of the ignorant leading the ignorant, too. If there is a big science story that takes technical background to report on and understand, mainstreamers are still not going to have a technical writer report on it. It’s going to be staff journalists trying to get just enough of their arms around it so they can topline it for an audience that probably won’t get it anyway.

2 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Fetterman in that particular meme is an insult to every person ever recovering from a stroke.  Shameful… but totally predictable from your source.

It's heinous, but what gets me is that it isnt even effective politically. Fetterman is the best example... he was left for dead in those fever swamps after his debate. And yet he won pretty convincingly among the actual electorate 

And yet Pig Smuggler's sources will continue to go back to the well over and over because their clientele will lap it up. The literal definition of bubble mindset

Edited by mtutiger

On 5/18/2023 at 8:25 AM, Archie said:

Wow, im shocked to find even more false info on this political forum. Ingraham's show was on last night night.  You folks really should get better sources. You should know by now all liberals do is make up things to try to discredit the other side.

Big-time projection.  

On 5/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, mtutiger said:

There's CNN's take on the Durham Investigation.... apparently good enough for RNC Research lol

I always assumed the FBI knew Trump was a big problem long before 2016 and didn't need any prodding from Clinton or any other politician to be aware of the danger of his gaining influence.  

Interesting that after the last few humiliations from Elon, the buddy I have who was in his cult (also a NeverTrump) has left his cult and is sharing comedic memes about Musk with me.  So, there is hope in the World.  [Queue the Samwise Gamgee speech from the end of The Two Towers].

• Like 1

‘Fox and Friends’ Staged Interview Bashing New Chicago Mayor

Two men who were featured in a Fox and Friends live segment inside a Naperville diner on the morning of Mayor Brandon Johnson’s inauguration didn’t just “happen to be from Chicago,” as correspondent Gianno Caldwell originally said. Not only did Caldwell invite Lavondale “Big Dale” Glass and Andre Smith to the interview, but the Fox reporter allegedly lied that the interview would be about violence, not Johnson, TRiiBE reported. The correspondent kicked off the interview offering his condolences to Glass, who lost his son in a 2021 shooting. “How are you doing, and what do you think about the election of Brandon Johnson?” Caldwell asked. While Glass replied the election was a “fluke” and criticized the new mayor, he later told TRiiBE that the question took him by complete surprise. “I was upset that he asked me that question,” Glass said. “And it kind of caught me off guard, because I’m still upset about my son.” He doesn’t necessarily oppose Johnson, Glass clarified, but just has doubts in general about politicians’ ability to address street violence. TRiiBE also found that both men had ties to Johnson’s opponent Paul Vallas’ campaign. Glass is the assistant director of a nonprofit whose founder endorsed Vallas, and Smith—who didn’t speak in the segment but was seated next to Glass—was a paid Vallas campaign worker.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:26 AM, mtutiger said:

Somebody please provide Mr. Caldwell with a map lol

I don't see this as a surprise.  All media slants what they report. Do you really think Fox is the only one guilty of this behavior?  How is this worse than other media that doesn't report on the failings of the current admin. Which networks have reported on how the FBI has ignored a congressional subpoena and refused to provide documents about possible Biden family corruption or crime? Most media is in the dems pocket and only a few are right wing.

8 hours ago, Archie said:

I don't see this as a surprise.  All media slants what they report. Do you really think Fox is the only one guilty of this behavior?  How is this worse than other media that doesn't report on the failings of the current admin. Which networks have reported on how the FBI has ignored a congressional subpoena and refused to provide documents about possible Biden family corruption or crime? Most media is in the dems pocket and only a few are right wing.

yeah what about anything but this