Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I can see why people would bail on political Twitter due to the bot activity and disinformation campaigns and the general fear and loathing of Musk, but I see no reason to not continue to use Twitter for sports.

I bailed on political twitter way before Elon. It was the lefty hysteria I needed to back awayfrom.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe Fox News should be checked for dementia. Sad.

FWIW Mashable has a great side by side comparison of photos taken of the Crab Nebula. Hubble in 2005, and a recent shot from the Webb 

https://mashable.com/article/james-webb-space-telescope-crab-nebula

It's about halfway down the page

You can also see a comparison between the Hubble Space Telescope's view of the Crab Nebula (snapped in 2005) and Webb's new image.

On left: Hubble's view of the Crab Nebula. On right: Webb's view of the Crab Nebula.
On left: Hubble's view of the Crab Nebula. On right: Webb's view of the Crab Nebula. Credit: NASA / ESA / CSA / STScI / T. Temim (Princeton University)

I follow the Webb telescope on FB and it's amazing.

that clip is so infuriating to me for some reason... the smug way she says it.

James Webb was a titan of a man.  He deserves that honor of the telescope.  Apollo had over 400,000 people working on it. 

Here's a clip from the great HBO series From the Earth to the Moon.  The dad from Wonder Years plays James Webb.  So so great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 7:13 AM, mtutiger said:

Maybe Fox News should be checked for dementia. Sad.

Same network that went on and on and on that Obama was not actually President because John Roberts messed up the oath of office when he swore him in.        The swearing in ceremony is merely a ceremony, it's for show -- idiots.  He became President at exactly Noon that day.   

On 10/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, Edman85 said:

I bailed on political twitter way before Elon. It was the lefty hysteria I needed to back awayfrom.

I don't think it was hysteria as much as constantly injecting their political opinions into baseball discussion.  I mostly agreed with them, but I didn't start following them on twitter for politics.  Baseball is my escape from that stuff.  Anyway, it seems they have gone elsewhere as I didn't block them and I don't see them much anymore.  

On 11/11/2023 at 8:44 AM, Tiger337 said:

I don't think it was hysteria as much as constantly injecting their political opinions into baseball discussion.  I mostly agreed with them, but I didn't start following them on twitter for politics.  Baseball is my escape from that stuff.  Anyway, it seems they have gone elsewhere as I didn't block them and I don't see them much anymore.  

Shut up and dribble. Our something to that affect.

I am at the point now where I really have to wonder if it's good for our radio station to do any business with X.    I get tired of hearing about how it's a good marketing tool.  There has to be a point where you make a stand and even though we'll end up keeping it, for now,  Elon Mush is pushing it to an dark extreme day by day by day and there may end up being more baggage from dealing with his company. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The fact that media choices are so fractured these days makes this report unsurprising. And the Deplorables would call it fake news anyway...

TBF, the difference is easy to understand because there were still considered norms when Hillary did that back in 2016 and it was considered remarkable. Trump smashed through that barrier with a firehose and now using language like that considered unremarkable, especially for him. I think it’s all purposeful, too: by using words like “vermin” to describe your “enemies” (which is another word that used to shock when used in the political arena), or by calling every Democrat a “fascist” over and over, it reduces the power inherent in those words and makes people lazy about the actual danger they impose when the actions they lead to start happening.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

Elon is melting down 🤣

Pretty close if not 'the' First Rule of being in a sales business is you don't pick public fights with potential customers.

He's basically a two year old in a grown-up's leather jacket.

I mean, it's fine if you don't want to be in a sales oriented business because you don't like having to be customer centric, but then get out the heII out that kind of business. Sell it to someone who has the ethos for it. 

Edited by gehringer_2

Elon couldn't sell right now if he wanted to.  The last valuation was 19 billion and that was before all the advertisers pulled their ads.  I bet he couldn't get 10 billion for it as not only has he killed the value, he's proven that it only serves as an outlet for hate and conspiracies.  

Edited by MIguy

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Sunk cost fallacy. If he holds it the value is just going to keep going lower.  😱

If he would delete his account and go back to the moderation rules that existed before he bought it, he'd only lose 10 billion on the sale rather than 30.  

• Haha 1