Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

On 11/29/2023 at 7:34 AM, chasfh said:

TBF, the difference is easy to understand because there were still considered norms when Hillary did that back in 2016 and it was considered remarkable. Trump smashed through that barrier with a firehose and now using language like that considered unremarkable, especially for him. I think it’s all purposeful, too: by using words like “vermin” to describe your “enemies” (which is another word that used to shock when used in the political arena), or by calling every Democrat a “fascist” over and over, it reduces the power inherent in those words and makes people lazy about the actual danger they impose when the actions they lead to start happening.

See, now, this is precisely what I mean. Jack Smith is a prosecutor doing the job in front of him, but mislabeling him, and everybody not in Trump's orbit, a "fascist" serves to reduce the word to a meaningless punchline such that, when real actual fascism comes to our door, nobody will be able to recognize it.

• 2 weeks later...

New book recommendation  

Network of Lies: The Epic Saga of Fox News, Donald Trump, and the Battle for American Democracy."

https://www.pbs.org/video/network-of-lies-1700175700/

Here's one of his book tour interviews. the book gets into Fox's obsession with placating their audience and downplaying the truths about the "stolen election" and events around Jan 6 2021.. 

The book is fascinating and scary.

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Saw that.  Never cared for him.

I still listen to his podcast, he's one of the few that still investigates issues at the local/state level and he's pretty good at it.   He's extremely emotional though and add in his drinking and that unfortunately has led to him being the story instead of reporting on a story.  Sad to see.

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I still listen to his podcast, he's one of the few that still investigates issues at the local/state level and he's pretty good at it.   He's extremely emotional though and add in his drinking and that unfortunately has led to him being the story instead of reporting on a story.  Sad to see.

People either liked Bill Bonds or they had drunk parents and didn't want that in their lives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

reading the Bullwerk Morning roundup this morning with a Will Saletan essay on the Hur report. Something jumped out at me in the report that was glossed over by the media

Here’s how Biden dealt with his classified documents, according to Hur:

“Mr. Biden self-reported to the government that the Afghanistan documents were in his Delaware garage and consented to searches of his house to retrieve them and other classified materials. He also consented to searches of other locations, and later in the investigation, he participated in an interview with our office that lasted more than five hours. . . . Just as a person who destroys evidence and lies often proves his guilt, a person who produces evidence and cooperates will be seen by many to be innocent.”

Hur contrasts this with Trump’s treatment of classified records:

“Unlike the evidence involving Mr. Biden, the allegations set forth in the indictment of Mr. Trump, if proven, would clearly establish not only Mr. Trump’s willfulness but also serious aggravating facts. Most notably, after being given multiple chances to return classified documents and avoid prosecution, Mr. Trump allegedly did the opposite. According to the indictment, he not only refused to return the documents for months, but he also obstructed justice by enlisting others to destroy evidence and then to lie about it.”

The upshot of these two investigations isn’t that Biden is old. It’s that Trump is corrupt and Biden isn’t.

Read the second of the statement concerning Trump's handling of the documents

“Unlike the evidence involving Mr. Biden, the allegations set forth in the indictment of Mr. Trump, if proven, would clearly establish not only Mr. Trump’s willfulness but also serious aggravating facts. Most notably, after being given multiple chances to return classified documents and avoid prosecution, Mr. Trump allegedly did the opposite. According to the indictment, he not only refused to return the documents for months, but he also obstructed justice by enlisting others to destroy evidence and then to lie about it.”

This needs to be pushed more. TRUMP OBSTRUCTED JUSTICE....

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

reading the Bullwerk Morning roundup this morning with a Will Saletan essay on the Hur report. Something jumped out at me in the report that was glossed over by the media

Read the second of the statement concerning Trump's handling of the documents

This needs to be pushed more. TRUMP OBSTRUCTED JUSTICE....

"The upshot of these two investigations isn’t that Biden is old. It’s that Trump is corrupt and Biden isn’t."

I added what I thought was the critical statement and bolded it. Plus bolded your all-caps comment because between those two... those are the key points.

Granted I don't do most of our shopping but I honestly couldn't tell you what things cost.  I find what I need, put it in the basket, and use my AMEX to pay the bill.  It's generally $X when I shop.  Then I pay my AMEX which also includes any other bills I can throw on it, along with any eating out charges, etc. My AMEX bill is generally the same every month but can fluctuate if I buy concert tickets or sign up for a race.  I just don't pay that much attention to the itemized cost.  I'm not going to not buy something because it cost a few dollars more.  I want it.  If I didn't want it then I wouldn't have considered buying it.  I went to college and got a decent paying job so that I didn't have to deny myself things that we had to do growing up.  I'm not reckless, I dn't have a lot of toys or whatever, but I'm not going to think twice about some purchases.  I know too many people who have died in their 60's to worry about my life at that point.  When I'm 68 I'm not going to think "Yeah, I am glad I didn't go on that trip when I was 48, now I can have a bigger 401(k) to allow me to take this other trip now where I can't do the same things I could at 48 because I'm now 68"

I guess I don't have the "money" gene wehre I worry about things like that and I am fortunate enough to not have to.  

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Granted I don't do most of our shopping but I honestly couldn't tell you what things cost.  I find what I need, put it in the basket, and use my AMEX to pay the bill.  It's generally $X when I shop.  Then I pay my AMEX which also includes any other bills I can throw on it, along with any eating out charges, etc. My AMEX bill is generally the same every month but can fluctuate if I buy concert tickets or sign up for a race.  I just don't pay that much attention to the itemized cost.  I'm not going to not buy something because it cost a few dollars more.  I want it.  If I didn't want it then I wouldn't have considered buying it.  I went to college and got a decent paying job so that I didn't have to deny myself things that we had to do growing up.  I'm not reckless, I dn't have a lot of toys or whatever, but I'm not going to think twice about some purchases.  I know too many people who have died in their 60's to worry about my life at that point.  When I'm 68 I'm not going to think "Yeah, I am glad I didn't go on that trip when I was 48, now I can have a bigger 401(k) to allow me to take this other trip now where I can't do the same things I could at 48 because I'm now 68"

I guess I don't have the "money" gene wehre I worry about things like that and I am fortunate enough to not have to.  

I do most of our shopping so I noticed the price of eggs.... last year. Those prices have come down considerably and have been down for a while and, yet, people don't recalibrate at all when discussing this stuff.

My only real hot take on the inflation discussion is that, while it clearly has had an effect on people's finances (I know it did and still does with ours), I do think, at least on social media, that people who post micro-examples of how expensive things are seem to use it as a crutch for their own poor decisions. Because in most of these social media examples, there are clearly ways that said people could have spent less. For example, not Doordashing all of their takeout meals, downloading the app and clipping coupons, or in Chicagoland, choosing to buy their large box of Cereal at Meijer or Target vs. buying at Jewel, who has insane markups on dry goods like cereal and chips.

It's also a good example of just sticking with macro data when discussing this stuff as well.... the data for the past couple of years showed inflation was high, that should be enough to make the case without getting into people's own personal choices in how they shop.

51 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I do most of our shopping so I noticed the price of eggs.... last year. Those prices have come down considerably and have been down for a while and, yet, people don't recalibrate at all when discussing this stuff.

Apropos of nothing, I do the midweek shopping for us since I am out and about on scheduled trips anyway. I frequently pick up eggs at Mariano’s on these trips and most of the time, they don’t even have prices on display with the standard eggs I get. Some premium-priced eggs do have prices and I see they cost three-something these days. But Mariano’s does have a lot of items without price tags throughout the store, or items routinely and persistently misracked behind price labels for other items, and, of course, palates of unopened still-bubble-wrapped inventory on the floor in the middle of the aisles during the middle of the day. I love living in Big Shoulders, but I gotta believe our grocery stores are among the worst of any large city in America.

I gotta assume most of you are empty nesters and 50+ years old. The family of four with no college degree and are trying to make ends meet are the ones who feel these prices. Plus add 3+ dollars a gallon for gas... I live in a smallish MW town and the avg rent of a 3 bedroom apartment is around $1500. These folks don't have the luxury off dropping everything on a Amex card and paying it off interest free each month. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

items without price tags throughout the store, or items routinely and persistently misracked behind price labels for other items, and, of course, palates of unopened still-bubble-wrapped inventory on the floor in the middle of the aisles during the middle of the day. I love living in Big Shoulders, but I gotta believe our grocery stores are among the worst of any large city in America.

There oughta be a law.....

(we have that one in MI and the stores keep trying to get it repealed)

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

I gotta assume most of you are empty nesters and 50+ years old. The family of four with no college degree and are trying to make ends meet are the ones who feel these prices. Plus add 3+ dollars a gallon for gas... I live in a smallish MW town and the avg rent of a 3 bedroom apartment is around $1500. These folks don't have the luxury off dropping everything on a Amex card and paying in interest free each month. 

They should get an AMEX card and they can get 6% off their groceries and 3% off their gas. Also 6% off streaming if they stream. 

36 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I gotta assume most of you are empty nesters and 50+ years old. The family of four with no college degree and are trying to make ends meet are the ones who feel these prices. Plus add 3+ dollars a gallon for gas... I live in a smallish MW town and the avg rent of a 3 bedroom apartment is around $1500. These folks don't have the luxury off dropping everything on a Amex card and paying it off interest free each month. 

Single income household with two kids, mid 30s.... we are affected by inflation.

But when I see a viral post on social media about someone complaining that a Giant Size box of Cheerios is $8.49 (when there are multiple other stores in the same area that carry the same item for $6.49), that's a sign of intellectual dishonesty and/or a lack of personal responsibility for poor financial choices.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Single income household with two kids, mid 30s.... we are affected by inflation.

But when I see a viral post on social media about someone complaining that a Giant Size box of Cheerios is $8.49 (when there are multiple other stores in the same area that carry the same item for $6.49), that's a sign of intellectual dishonesty and/or a lack of personal responsibility for poor financial choices.

My point was the upper middle class doesn't understand the struggle families are feeling. 

Eggs are cheap, let them eat cake!