Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Pivoting back here, honest question for the group:

Are they doing this intentionally? Or are the reporters just incredibly lazy?

Silver’s past his prime now.  He’s trying to find his niche somewhere because the pure analysis piece is outdated and “everybody’s doing it”. So now he has to be contrarian and different. 

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

Silver’s past his prime now.  He’s trying to find his niche somewhere because the pure analysis piece is outdated and “everybody’s doing it”. So now he has to be contrarian and different. 

I'm not even talking about Silver, I'm talking about the Times...

They go out and write an article and characterize a respondant as an undecided independent who is concerned about Biden's age when a basic search turns up that said respondent is a hardcore registered R.

This happens a lot with their reporting, has happened a lot in past election cycles as well.

Does the Times do this on purpose or is it just lazy journalism that doesn't even do a basic background check of who they are talking to?

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, The Ronz said:

Both.

Trump is BIG money to the media and others so they will always hype him, put a positive spin on anything negative and/or flat out ignore anything negative.

Yup, If a boring candidate did all the crap he has done, he would have been torn to shreds a long time ago.  Unfortunately, the media needs him.  

41 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They go out and write an article and characterize a respondant as an undecided independent who is concerned about Biden's age when a basic search turns up that said respondent is a hardcore registered R.

This happens a lot with their reporting, has happened a lot in past election cycles as well.

Does the Times do this on purpose or is it just lazy journalism that doesn't even do a basic background check of who they are talking to?

Laziness. Both in terms of not wanting to do the research, budget cuts, lack of staff, and cognitive dissonance. If they do that then they have to write a new story and one probably not as sexy and click worthy. 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

The Times political div is off in their own world navel gazing at themselves. I loved J. Rubin using her WaPo column to rip a Times' headline writer the other day. They've become an embarrassment to their own allies. Problem is once you get off the political stuff the rest is still pretty much the best.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Anyone who identifies as an "Independent" is voting for Trump.

Anyone who says they are "Uncommited" is voting for Trump.

Anyone who says "Biden's age is a concern" is voting for Trump.

Not sure how the media or anyone doesn't understand this yet.

Well you've certainly convinced yourself of this...

Did you have a hard time doing this...?

Convincing yourself?

Because I've been an Independent for over 30+ years and Trump can go **** himself. I'm voting straight Dem ticket from top to bottom. I've voted Republican before... but I won't again, until MAGA Fascism is eradicated from the party.

90% of the Independents I know have either always hated Trump and would never vote for him... 

OR if they were right-leaning Indies have had enough of his horse**** and will never consider him again. They're voting Biden (and have said so) on most likely a split ticket.

Uncommitted was simply a protest vote. 99% are voting Biden in November.

Lastly, who gives a **** about Biden's age? Trump is 77 and already suffering from dementia, obesity, and probably worse. So yeah... anyone using Biden's "age is a concern" will probably vote Trump because they're using that as a BS excuse.

So maybe you did get something correct there.

But not much.

I don’t give a **** about Biden’s age because I trust the team he assembles. I don’t require him, or any President for that matter, to work 18-hour days or anything like that. I do expect him to be on the ball when he is presented with the options and he needs to make the hard decisions, and I trust he will be. But I also want him to get at least eight hours of sleep a night, and sure, go ahead and nap for an hour during the day if you can.  It’s good for the brain. And don’t forget the blueberries for breakfast. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ronna McDaniel hired by MSNBC.

Some comments: “…. They just hired an election denying, racist, pro-fascist, homophobic pathological liar as their latest political contributor/commentator.  In other words, they will pay her to lie for Trump during an election year.”

Another person likened hiring her as a political commentator to “hiring Jeffrey Dahmer as a dietary advisor”.

======================+
My reaction to this hiring? BOOOO. She’s got no place at a table discussing news.. because she wouldn’t know a truth if it smacked her in the face.

I’m more intrigued than apoplectic by the Ronna McDaniel hire. I’ll be interested to see how they use her and whether she can reasonably acquit herself, since she’s already coming into the job facing a sweeper on the corner with two strikes on her.

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

Rhonda Romney got fired, I think it was less than 1 full scaramucci

Yeah, I was glad to just read that.  It was a ridiculously bad decision to hire her.

There are many GOP people that could serve as a commentator who can present a conservative perspective that aren’t lying assholes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

There are many GOP people that could serve as a commentator who can present a conservative perspective that aren’t lying assholes.

well idk about many.... haha 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

well idk about many.... haha 

Well, let me qualify that by saying that there are a few, those who aren’t currently in Congress, and those who have been defeated in their most recent primaries by some Maga asshole candidate. 😂

• Like 1

I was listening to the audio podcast version of Meet the Press today, and noted something quite.... well

They have Rep Jim Clyburn as a guest.   She asks him all sorts of questions, whatever pretty non-memorable interview.   The last question Kirsten Walker asked Jim Clyburn was:

"You know it's Easter, what is your message about bipartisanship?  Is it possible...?  " 

Next interview, Rep Don Bacon.   I've heard this guy on C-SPAN dozens of times, I know him by his voice.   He's actually one of the more sane ones I hear come on C-SPAN.  Anyways....

not a single question to him about bipartisanship.

Why?

Oh it's because the media expects the Democrats to be bipartisan and expects the Republicans to not be, and that helps the Republicans. 

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, pfife said:

I was listening to the audio podcast version of Meet the Press today, and noted something quite.... well

They have Rep Jim Clyburn as a guest.   She asks him all sorts of questions, whatever pretty non-memorable interview.   The last question Kirsten Walker asked Jim Clyburn was:

"You know it's Easter, what is your message about bipartisanship?  Is it possible...?  " 

Next interview, Rep Don Bacon.   I've heard this guy on C-SPAN dozens of times, I know him by his voice.   He's actually one of the more sane ones I hear come on C-SPAN.  Anyways....

not a single question to him about bipartisanship.

Why?

Oh it's because the media expects the Democrats to be bipartisan and expects the Republicans to not be, and that helps the Republicans. 

The soft bigotry of low expectations....