Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

53 minutes ago, pfife said:

No, it's that you made a super bad comparison.   Glad to help you see how bad it was.  Camping in a park doesn't equal camping in a international trade lane no matter how badly your equivocation needs it to be.

You guys are the ones ranking the comparisons.  You guys are doing that in order to justify your hypocrisy as that allows you to differentiate one over the other.  A union that manages to get a plant shut down, you're seriously going to tell me that you're not on board with that?

Occupying a park (Occupy Wall Street), shutting down a road (Freedom Truckers and BLM), occupying a downtown area (Seattle), all of these things are illegal and the government has means to deal with it, but it still puts pressure on the government.  Civil Rights and sit-in's were no different.  The idea and hope of those doing it is that the disruption will change people's minds.  It has been wildly successful in some aspects, not so much in others.  It usually has the support of the party that agrees with the protesters, and is condemned by those that oppose those ideas.   This is no different.  If the same folks were doing the same thing but the message was that Canadians weren't going to allow trade with the US until the US adopted more Canadian like Covid policies, most of you would be cheering it on.

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

but that's the same thing as some guys sleeping under a tent in a park.

My guess is the trespassing ticket isn't as bad as impeding and points on your license, especially if you're a trucker, but again, you guys are the ones ranking it.  

If there is something you want to peacefully protest, are there set guidelines out there on what is/isn't an acceptable form of breaking the law in order to disrupt folks and highlight your cause?  Camping in a park - OK, Taking over a few city blocks - ok, burning down a police precinct - ok, shutting down traffic - ok, shutting down international traffic - not ok?

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

My guess is the trespassing ticket isn't as bad as impeding and points on your license, especially if you're a trucker, but again, you guys are the ones ranking it.  

If there is something you want to peacefully protest, are there set guidelines out there on what is/isn't an acceptable form of breaking the law in order to disrupt folks and highlight your cause?  Camping in a park - OK, Taking over a few city blocks - ok, burning down a police precinct - ok, shutting down traffic - ok, shutting down international traffic - not ok?

I see your point but an example I have was in my red state Indiana. People were peacefully protesting the Floyd murder and everything was fine. Then a bunch of protesters blocked the main downtown street. Cops came out with Riot gear and tear gassed the crowd to clear the road. It went to court and portesters tried to sue the local police but case was thrown out.

2 hours ago, pfife said:

dude you literally brought up occupy wallstreet and ranked it equally (read: equivocation) with these freedom truckers.  lol

Is it not?  Again, you guys are determining the value of the protest based on if you feel it's appropriate or not.  I'm just saying it's a peaceful protest, that part is the same.  

Just now, ewsieg said:

Is it not?  Again, you guys are determining the value of the protest based on if you feel it's appropriate or not.  I'm just saying it's a peaceful protest, that part is the same.  

No one is determining the value of the protest, only you seem to be doing that. What people are saying is that you can't do anything you want because you are protesting. These truckers are free to protest but not free to occupy an international border crossing and bring international trade to a halt. Nobody would care if these yahoos were protesting in a park. 

40 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

here come the straight up fictions about other posters.   you get none of my time chief   

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

No one is determining the value of the protest, only you seem to be doing that. What people are saying is that you can't do anything you want because you are protesting. These truckers are free to protest but not free to occupy an international border crossing and bring international trade to a halt. Nobody would care if these yahoos were protesting in a park. 

You guys love going back to the Occupy Wall Street, conveniently leaving out taking over an entire few blocks in a city or burning down a police station, just more 'peaceful' protests.  

And again, you seem to think I'm saying truckers have the right to occupy an international border crossing.  I'm saying they have a right to peacefully protest, but if they break laws in doing that, they are weighing the risk of what may happen to them from a legal standpoint.  

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You guys love going back to the Occupy Wall Street, conveniently leaving out taking over an entire few blocks in a city or burning down a police station, just more 'peaceful' protests.  

And again, you seem to think I'm saying truckers have the right to occupy an international border crossing.  I'm saying they have a right to peacefully protest, but if they break laws in doing that, they are weighing the risk of what may happen to them from a legal standpoint.  

To go further, please don't even think i'm saying what they are doing is right.  They obviously feel strongly enough about what's going on in their country with restrictions that they feel it's worthwhile, but I'm not saying that.  If someone jumped into the first truck in line and honked the horn as they sped through to the US side to help deliver something that would help me not be inconvenienced, I would have been more than willing to look the other way.  Trust me, there is no moral barometer on my end with this.  I'm just surprised by the vast different way it's being portrayed by the media than with some other recent protests which were quite costly as well.

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

...  Camping in a park - OK, Taking over a few city blocks - ok, burning down a police precinct - ok, shutting down traffic - ok, shutting down international traffic - not ok?

Camping in a park - OK

Taking over a few city blocks - NOT ok

Burning down a police precinct - NOT ok

Shutting down traffic - OK if it was an approved march or something similar by the local authorities. NOT OK if it was not approved. You know this already.

Shutting down international traffic - NOT ok (this will NOT have been approved by any governmental authority and you KNOW that, don't you?)

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I just googled "occupy wall street burning down police station" and I'm coming up empty on that one.

But I did run across this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/in-day-of-protests-occupy-wall-street-faces-police-violence/

I keep on trying to write a response to this but I feel like it sounds like i'm trying to snag you in a 'gotcha' or sounds condescending which is not what i'm trying to do, but based on some of the different things I mentioned, the burning down of a police station doesn't jog your memory?  I assumed LW folks would know all about it as it's often claimed that it was burned down by a Boogaloo boy (which one of the many found and charged was in fact).  Specifically I was referring to the peaceful protests In Minneapolis as part of BLM.  You know, the protests so incredibly peaceful that Covid couldn't even spread in them and at the same time Democratic leaders were telling people to they should stay in their house if at all possible to help contain the spread, they encouraged folks to march, even as we saw mass destruction happen in inner cities across the nation.

BLM protests costs - 1 to 2 billion, most of that incurred in the poorest and largely minority communities.

Freedom trucker costs - I heard an estimated 300 million for the automakers, an effect that will hurt their shareholders and mostly white, but all middle class autoworkers.

In true fashion, dems blast one set, while encouraging the other while they have the gall to say they are the only party that cares about minorities.

Edited by ewsieg

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Camping in a park - OK

Taking over a few city blocks - NOT ok

Burning down a police precinct - NOT ok

Shutting down traffic - OK if it was an approved march or something similar by the local authorities. NOT OK if it was not approved. You know this already.

Shutting down international traffic - NOT ok (this will NOT have been approved by any governmental authority and you KNOW that, don't you?)

Sounds about right to me.

I guess I don't understand the complaint on this one. Canada is a sovereign nation and is free to exercise whatever laws it has on the books to disperse unlawful protests. Just as many police departments did during the George Floyd protests.

And just as it isnt fair to associate all of those who are supportive of lifting COVID restrictions with the means and methods used at these border protests or every Trump voter with January 6th, not everyone who supported the message of the George Floyd protests advocated violence or looting. 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I see your point but an example I have was in my red state Indiana. People were peacefully protesting the Floyd murder and everything was fine. Then a bunch of protesters blocked the main downtown street. Cops came out with Riot gear and tear gassed the crowd to clear the road. It went to court and portesters tried to sue the local police but case was thrown out.

Our protests were relatively peaceful, but IIRC, there was one incident when protestors unlawfully blocked public ROW (a bridge spanning the Trinity River) and they were arrested pretty quickly.

They weren't given a week like the ones in Windsor.