Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Wow.   What an absolutely ludicrous statement from the nytimes.   I can't believe people give these guys money 

An editorial designed to piss everyone off and drive away friends, apparently.

Here’s an interesting paragraph:

Roy Block, 76, from San Antonio, described himself as conservative and said he has been alarmed by scenes of parents being silenced at school board meetings over the past year. “I think it’s mostly conservatives that are being silenced,” he said. “But regardless, I think it should be a two-way street. Everybody should have an opportunity to speak and especially in open gathering and open forum.”

I don’t know where this guy has been, but social media is lousy with video examples of unhinged people lipping off at school board meetings in all kinds of toxic ways.

Edited by chasfh

I've had to be a parent advocate and fight with school boards and admins.... it's not fun.  Have spoken up at meetings.  However I cringed so often at my peers even those who were on "our side".  They'd make arguments that have nothing to do with the problem we're trying to solve. They'd mock. Make threats.  My favorites were "We're calling Fox 2 Problem Solvers!" or "We're calling Feiger".  We also had some people who were like "Dude, our state rep comes into our coffee shop, I'll talk to him."

A few times I would talk to our superintendent offline and say something like "I'm not with them... that's not how I do business".

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Wow.   What an absolutely ludicrous statement from the nytimes.   I can't believe people give these guys money 

To my mind the problem is that they are conflating different social problem under one rubric of "free speech", where they don't all fit. Which, indeed indicates they don't have a very clear headed view of what they are talking about. For instance, one issue here is that if anything, the negative reaction to a lot of what they call 'speech' is really just the natural and proper reaction to the lack of both civility, basic competence, and dare we say - sanity, on the part of too many 'speakers' demanding to monopolize the soapbox. It's more a matter of 'please stop wasting my time with your stupidity.' We need *more* social approbation of pubic stupidity lest our general descent into ignorance go completely unchecked.

On the other hand, there is also the soft bigotry of lowered intellectual expectations doing its work in the argument that there are sooo many things we mustn't talk about for fear of melting the snowflakes - whether it be screening Olivier film where he plays Othello in black face or Bobby hearing about Jimmy's two mommies. At any rate, the point is that many of the things they are throwing at the wall in this piece are pretty unrelated.

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Dude, comparing Brown to Trayvon?  Seriously?  You obviously don't know the whole story for at least one of these situations.

Its easy to make a comparison.  Both were falsely portrayed by the media as innocent children and the media continuously used years old pictures of them as pre-teens.  The other comparison is they were both killed in self defense when both were committing violent crimes. Neither were innocent and both lost their lives when their own actions got them killed by someone defending themselves.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Its easy to make a comparison.  Both were falsely portrayed by the media as innocent children and the media continuously used years old pictures of them as pre-teens.  The other comparison is they were both killed in self defense when both were committing violent crimes. Neither were innocent and both lost their lives when their own actions got them killed by someone defending themselves.

when are you gonna say facts

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

You make it sound as though one of these two is a bad guy.

I can't honestly say if either of them were bad kids.  Good kids do dumb things sometimes.  And yes, they weren't 5 ft 2 and 100 pounds, still they were kids. The vast differences I care about is what happened leading up to a fight that left each one dead and only one of them did something clearly stupid.

26 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm actually on your side in terms of how the media portrayed Brown.  For every Oblong posted tweet that claims racial bias, there are examples like Michael Brown where the media goes out of their way to paint a different story.  Brown got into a fight with an officer  because he didn't like being asked to not walk in the middle of the street and then decided to charge at the officer again.  Multiple witnesses backed up the officers claim and the autopsy did as well.

For Trayvon, we don't know the details of what happened when they encountered each other.  We only have Zimmerman's account, and frankly time has shown him to be the only one I can definitively say is a 'bad guy'.  He was even told by a dispatcher not to approach, but he did anyway.  He was adamant that he was going to get in this kids way and for all we know, Trayvon defended himself, until he started winning, at which point Zimmerman shot him.  

3 hours ago, pfife said:

yeah G2!  I went to college for sociology and this is sociology 101.  Society enforcing it's norms.

or a short version is maybe you *should* feel reticent to speak in public when you don't know what you are talking about! 🙄

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, pfife said:

He was not found guilty of a damn thing.  It's fact.   Eat another L hoss

Self defense only matters when it’s the white guy that  gets overpowered after he starts shit. Nobody cares about the black guys right to defend himself with lethal force.  White guy fights=self defense/stand your ground. Black guy fights=thug.  

these fooks are buried so deep in their bigotry they can’t see the idiocy of their own argument.   

I go by the facts and evidence that has been presented.  Unless you were there its only your opinion what happened that you are using to fit your agenda and goes it against evidence.  Everything was brought out at the trial and it was very interesting.

I see in the quote my buddy Barney is still trolling.  You're right Barn, Zimmerman wasn't found guilty of a damn thing!

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

I go by the facts and evidence that has been presented.  Unless you were there its only your opinion what happened that you are using to fit your agenda and goes it against evidence.  Everything was brought out at the trial and it was very interesting.

I see in the quote my buddy Barney is still trolling.  You're right Barn, Zimmerman wasn't found guilty of a damn thing!

O guilty verdicts for Trayvon

11 hours ago, Archie said:

Here's where you outright lied.