Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Lmao!

Lol at paying for this shit 😂 

Beyond parody... and completely trivializes the views of Ukrainians and Eastern Europeans. Who maybe see this a little differently than someone sitting in the comfort of an plush office at Columbia.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:24 PM, pfife said:

Literally a prediction and not reporting 

Always listen to the experts and ridicule those that don't, unless you choose not to listen to experts, in that case, just ignore or deflect it (ie., it's just a prediction).

Last year I pointed out migrant crossings were on pace to break all time highs and you deflected saying that was speculation (it wasn't, they were on pace to break all time highs, they simply hadn't yet....at the time).  Turns out, the "speculation" was right.  

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

He's dead-on.

Republicans are nothing but a cancerous tumor in America right now.

The Republican Fuck You Party = pure grotesquery.

Absolutely, but he occasionally complains about Democrats, so he's not relevant and wrong. (/sarcasm)

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't like Bill Maher because of the whiny snark.

I don't like Maher because shows like his are part of what has trivialized politics in the US as entertainment first, civic responsibility maybe later. I don't mind political comedy, I like political comedy, but once you go that route don't expect me to then take anything you do seriously because you have suddenly 'shifted gears' for the moment. The fact that he is there as an entertainer *first* playing for laughs inevitably undercuts any message that I, or anyone would ever need actually act on any information he imparts, for instance any more than I would take some other comic's riff about some faulty kitchen appliance of his as a serious product review.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Always listen to the experts and ridicule those that don't, unless you choose not to listen to experts, in that case, just ignore or deflect it (ie., it's just a prediction).

Last year I pointed out migrant crossings were on pace to break all time highs and you deflected saying that was speculation (it wasn't, they were on pace to break all time highs, they simply hadn't yet....at the time).  Turns out, the "speculation" was right.  

It's literally a prediction. 

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Absolutely, but he occasionally complains about Democrats...

I don't follow or watch him much. Pretty close to nil... but I do tune in now and again. I don't mind his humor for the most part.

His complaints on the Democrats are not wrong. Or at least the ones I've heard.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't like Maher because shows like his are part of what has trivialized politics in the US as entertainment first, civic responsibility maybe later....

Like SNL?

The problem with US politics today is not trivialization.

It's the F.U. politics as generated/ practiced by the Tea Party Republicans, white trash bigots, Trump and his fascist followers; preceded/ inspired by Limbaugh/ Buchanan/ Gingrich and the like.

The American proletariat have always had a simple-minded understanding of politics. The trivialization is self-inflicted and ever-present. Not requiring Maher or SNL's influence. It's just there... like the WWE, monster trucks, and Nascar.

40 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Like SNL?

Couldn't say, haven't seen SNL in probably 20 yrs. But at least as I remember it the difference would be that SNL doesn't (at least in general) turn around 5 min later and ask you take them seriously. To me that is where the subtle intellectual hazard/conditioning lies.

>It's the F.U. politics

I don't listen to country music but I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was caught captive in a public space where it was playing and was sort of blown away because it was like a constant 30 min of "FU if you don't buy my version of Amerika" lyrics. Yeah - it's everywhere.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't like Maher because shows like his are part of what has trivialized politics in the US as entertainment first, civic responsibility maybe later. I don't mind political comedy, I like political comedy, but once you go that route don't expect me to then take anything you do seriously because you have suddenly 'shifted gears' for the moment. The fact that he is there as an entertainer *first* playing for laughs inevitably undercuts any message that I, or anyone would ever need actually act on any information he imparts, for instance any more than I would take some other comic's riff about some faulty kitchen appliance of his as a serious product review.

It's rare that I would say this to you, but I couldn't disagree more.  I'm guessing you don't watch him and probably only see clips pulled out.  He pushes discussion, the show isn't about making a quick laugh.  Most of the show is a discussion between him and a panel that even if it's a congressman/women, you get more information on their ideas in one show than you would watching a years worth of Sunday morning news shows.

He's never 'shifted gears' either.  As for all people, i'm sure his views are not the same as they were 20 years ago, but he's always been a progressive democrat.  He's currently suffering from the same fate as let's say Cheney and Kinzinger.  Cheney and Kinzinger are darlings of the left.  But if you're a democrat based on platform policy, you wouldn't really cheer them on.  They have one issue they disagree with the GOP on (granted a big one) and their side has turned on them and the left cheers.   Maher, for the folks that don't regularly follow him, is the same.  Grab an average person that has never watched the show and pick a random show he's done in the last 20 years and they will know he votes straight ticket democratic.  But, if he feels the dems are heading a wrong direction, he calls it out.  The right pulls the 30 second clip to celebrate him, the left grabs that same clip to say he's no longer a legitimate voice for the left.

• Like 1