Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL  - Reuters already reporting speculation that Musk might back out of twitter deal......

https://www.reuters.com/technology/investors-fret-over-potential-musk-u-turn-44-bln-twitter-buyout-2022-04-27/

Not really sure I see what it stated in the article as evidence he might be backing out as all that convincing.  He didn't join the board as he wanted to go for full ownership.  While he definitely could throw away a billion dollars and be fine, I also doubt he would put that amount on the line just to balk a few days later.

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Not really sure I see what it stated in the article as evidence he might be backing out as all that convincing.  He didn't join the board as he wanted to go for full ownership.  While he definitely could throw away a billion dollars and be fine, I also doubt he would put that amount on the line just to balk a few days later.

I think the idea is just around the buzz being all over the place when it comes to Musk.

A more interesting commentary among the many I've skimmed over was to the effect that what Musk is really good at is assembling his own teams of managers, and in Twitter he's going to inherit one he clearly doesn't think much of. That gives him two choices: bring this one up to his speed and viewpoints, which given his difficult personality may be hard for him, or fire everyone and bring in new people, which will at minimum create short term chaos. Should be fun times.

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the idea is just around the buzz being all over the place when it comes to Musk.

A more interesting commentary among the many I've skimmed over was to the effect that what Musk is really good at is assembling his own teams of managers, and in Twitter he's going to inherit one he clearly doesn't think much of. That gives him two choices: bring this one up to his speed and viewpoints, which given his difficult personality may be hard for him, or fire everyone and bring in new people, which will at minimum create short term chaos. Should be fun times.

twitter is a very poorly run company full of overpaid workers.  musk will gut the company and make a lot of his money back that way.

the head censor at twitter made $17 million last year (probably with a lot if stock options), i can imagine who the first person to get fired will be...

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

twitter is a very poorly run company full of overpaid workers.  musk will gut the company and make a lot of his money back that way.

the head censor at twitter made $17 million last year (probably with a lot if stock options), i can imagine who the first person to get fired will be...

he'll have to be quick though. An extended period of firings will paralyze an organization (I remember I had friends at Ford when management at went to a forced termination system meant to remove low performers, it put the company into a productivity stasis and forced WCJ jr to step in and fire the CEO that had put it in place..)

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, buddha said:

I mean, in order to fire a bunch of people, you need to be able to replace them. A lot of whom probably have a skillset/knowledge that is hard to replace?

Do we know that Elon Musk has all those folks lined up to backfill those jobs? Or is this just one of those assumptions that people make when they assume that "oh yeah, he'll just do mass layoffs, no biggie", as if that's how the real world works?

23 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, in order to fire a bunch of people, you need to be able to replace them. A lot of whom probably have a skillset/knowledge that is hard to replace?

Do we know that Elon Musk has all those folks lined up to backfill those jobs? Or is this just one of those assumptions that people make when they assume that "oh yeah, he'll just do mass layoffs, no biggie", as if that's how the real world works?

you dont need to replace them.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

he'll have to be quick though. An extended period of firings will paralyze an organization (I remember I had friends at Ford when management at went to a forced termination system meant to remove low performers, it put the company into a productivity stasis and forced WCJ jr to step in and fire the CEO that had put it in place..)

You mean the guy who decided it would be best to take a symbol on par with Coca Cola in terms of world recognition and place it alongside a nameplate for Volvo and Mercury?  The guy who took the Blue Oval off stationary, buildings, etc. and was more interested in Land Rover and Jaguar?

Tears were shed when they put the Ford logo back on the World Headquarters building in Dearborn after Mr. Nasser.

37 minutes ago, buddha said:

you dont need to replace them.

You know this, how exactly?

It's easy to sit on the sidelines, with little knowledge about Twitter and its corporate structure, and say "oh yeah, no big, just axe a bunch of people".

A little harder in reality, one believes.

Edited by mtutiger

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm sure the guy whose company builds low quality vehicles that didn't even turn a profit for over 10 years will figure it out. 

I really don't have a dog in this fight. Twitter is a cesspool now and will be if/when he ultimately acquires, though I concede he could make it marginally worse, I suppose.

But I also think much of the speculation about personnel decisions is maybe a little more complicated than it's being made out to be.

And Musk, for his part, doesn't appear to have much knowledge of the product he'd be acquiring, so he needs people with at least some institutional knowledge around him. Mass layoffs, particularly ones as punitive as those doing the speculating seem to envision, seem to run counter to the goal of surrounding oneself with people who have institutional knowledge of the product that Twitter is selling.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I really don't have a dog in this fight. Twitter is a cesspool now and will be if/when he ultimately acquires, though I concede he could make it marginally worse, I suppose.

But I also think much of the speculation about personnel decisions is maybe a little more complicated than it's being made out to be.

And Musk, for his part, doesn't appear to have much knowledge of the product he'd be acquiring, so he needs people with at least some institutional knowledge around him. Mass layoffs, particularly ones as punitive as those doing the speculating seem to envision, seem to run counter to the goal of surrounding oneself with people who have institutional knowledge of the product that Twitter is selling.

Musk is nothing more than a grifter. His Tesla stock is over inflated and he's failed to deliver on promises but people fawn over him and continue to buy his product despite all the broken promises. No matter what he does at Twitter, it's going to take decades to see any return on that $44 billion. The motive isn't about buying Twitter to turn profit. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Screenshot_20220428-070448_Chrome.jpg

The fact that employee costs are high doesn't necessarily mean there are too many, they may just be  well paid - esp near the top (as you already noted). That's a bit more complex to manage than just firing 20%!

Not clear exactly what that $3 billion includes but if it's the ordinary Cost of Sales number, for a non-manufacturer you might actually expect direct labor to be half of it so that's $200/k per year per employee, (we were were using $100k in project estimates over 10 yrs ago). So maybe high, but it also depends some on what the employee skill profile is. Flip the analysis around - the issue is that revenue is low and it's not clear where any growth comes from, which is no doubt why the board was so quick to bail.

Like many business that create a new field, the question of whether income ever reaches a competitive ROI on the application of labor and capital required isn't answered until the business model actually succeeds or fails. It's quite possible - maybe likely - that Twitter as currently structured is not a sufficiently profitable business. Maybe you can solve that by finding a way to keep doing what you do at much lower cost. That is the standard US Business school hammer to every struggling business nail. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just proves the business model wasn't sustainable to begin with and the business has to morph into doing something different or die.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

You know this, how exactly?

It's easy to sit on the sidelines, with little knowledge about Twitter and its corporate structure, and say "oh yeah, no big, just axe a bunch of people".

A little harder in reality, one believes.

and how do you know they need to replace them?  you dont.

i "know" things the same way you do: "by reading shit and making up opinions"  lol.

in other words, youre right, i have no idea.  my only knowledge comes from reading certain stuff and then formulating my usual half assed opinion.

but as to twittwr, it has been written about for a long time in many different places that as an organization twitter has an insufficient business model that has held back its earning potential.  a reorg is coming. as to musk's intentions vis a vis twitter's labor force, all new management guts old management after a takeover, and the quickest way to get an increase in profit is to cut the labor costs.

all signs point to mass firings/quittings.

the mainstream press will gleefully report that musk is tearing down twitter as some form of revenge and that he's an evil racist white man out to endanger minorities on twitter.  the right will portray him as some sort of avenging crusader for free speech rights against wokist dictators.

in truth, its what happens whenever new management moves in.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

and how do you know they need to replace them?  you dont.

i "know" things the same way you do: "by reading shit and making up opinions"  lol.

Correct. And from my reading about the issue, I have very little confidence about what will or won't happen if/when Musk buys Twitter.

So as opposed to just assuming he's gonna lay off half the company or that he has people lined up with knowledge of the product to help him along, I'm gonna just wait and see how it all plays out.

We're all entitled to our opinions. Or lack thereof.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Correct. And from my reading about the issue, I have very little confidence about what will or won't happen if/when Musk buys Twitter.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I don't know"....

ok, then you can preface every post on this message board with "i dont know."

none of us "know".  we have opinions.

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

a reorg is coming. as to musk's intentions vis a vis twitter's labor force, all new management guts old management after a takeover, and the quickest way to get an increase in profit is to cut the labor costs.

so really, it comes back full circle. Is this a job for Elon Musk or better for a Mitt Romney? The question mark, and it's a fair one, is that Musk has no previously demonstrated competence is this particular business skill. It's a known unknown. So as an investor (or user), there are a lot of question marks - of course if he buys everyone out and takes twitter private there won't be any more investors and that will be that! 🤔

Edited by gehringer_2