Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You're honestly telling me that if it came out that someone gave a Pence family member 100k, made a point to tell his kids, and ask them to tell Pence he would look forward to working with him in the future, you would be fine with no one questioning it?

I still don't see the problem if working in the future was when Pence was out of office and didn't involve trading classified information. I would imagine people have tried to gain access to Pence. I'm also assuming this laptop exists and this is what was actually on it.

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

My wife and I are watching it for the first time right now and it's awesome.  I'm only on season 1 still but I like Toby.  He seems like the true idealist at least this early in the show.  This episode we watched the other day with homeless veterans was really incredibly moving.

Didn't watch the clip for very long, didn't want to get spoiled.

Yeah don’t. This is season 2. Season 1 was very different.  They got heat for being too overtly liberal so Peggy Noonan came on as a writer.  Enjoy the ride.  Just a warning that things got weird when Sorkin left and at the time I didn’t care for it but when I rewatched the later few seasons with the new election it was better than I remembered. Just hang tight until Alda and Smits show up. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I also don't understand why whoever is in possession of the laptop just post the entire contents of the HDD online if it is so damning? We always get these stories with bits and pieces of suspected damaging info. Just put your cards on the table.

Exactly! Where is Larry Flynt when you need him?

For those who don't remember the John DeLorean FBI tapes were given/sold/whatever to CBS News by Larry Flynt.

1 hour ago, The Ronz said:

Exactly! Where is Larry Flynt when you need him?

For those who don't remember the John DeLorean FBI tapes were given/sold/whatever to CBS News by Larry Flynt.

I was just thinking the other day if Flynt were still around I bet he’d have taken down all of these hypocrites in the GOP today. He’d have Epstein’s stuff out there. 

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I also don't understand why whoever is in possession of the laptop just post the entire contents of the HDD online if it is so damning? We always get these stories with bits and pieces of suspected damaging info. Just put your cards on the table.

Maybe Hillary’s emails can tell us what’s on Hunter’s laptop.

14 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still don't see the problem if working in the future was when Pence was out of office and didn't involve trading classified information. I would imagine people have tried to gain access to Pence. I'm also assuming this laptop exists and this is what was actually on it.

If a city of warren businessman that might do business with the city at some point gave Fouts 100k and said 'whatever you choose to do in the future, i'd just like to work with you', you would be good with that?

I have a customer that is a government agency, if I saw one of their employees at Starbucks on my lunch and paid for their coffee I could face consequences.  

16 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I have a customer that is a government agency, if I saw one of their employees at Starbucks on my lunch and paid for their coffee I could face consequences.  

But he wouldn't unless he accepted. Isn't that the point?.No-one can be held responsible for what other people may offer - that is wholly out of their control - only what they accept, and isn't that the fundamental question here - whether anything was ever accepted?

Edited by gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

If a city of warren businessman that might do business with the city at some point gave Fouts 100k and said 'whatever you choose to do in the future, i'd just like to work with you', you would be good with that?

This is a different scenario. First, the article you linked said a $100k payment was made to Joe's grand kids via Hunter. $100k was not given to Joe. The article never said Joe received the money, went into business with the guy, or did any favors with the guy. If anybody was acting unethical, it was Hunter. It seems to me he accepted money to give access to his father. We still don't know if he ever got access to Joe or not. Also, is it not allowed for Joe to go into business when he is out of office? It seems acceptable as long as that business is not selling national secrets out of his basement in Delaware. I'm also assuming these emails or even real. This is a dubious source that didn't seem to provide evidence they were even real. The only other sources reporting this are far right extremist news sources.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But he wouldn't unless he accepted. Isn't that the point?.No-one can be held responsible for what other people may offer - that is wholly out of their control - only what they accept, and isn't that the fundamental question here - whether anything was ever accepted?

The only sources reporting this are the likes of Breitbart. I don't even believe this email is real.

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is a different scenario. First, the article you linked said a $100k payment was made to Joe's grand kids via Hunter. $100k was not given to Joe. The article never said Joe received the money, went into business with the guy, or did any favors with the guy. If anybody was acting unethical, it was Hunter. It seems to me he accepted money to give access to his father. We still don't know if he ever got access to Joe or not. Also, is it not allowed for Joe to go into business when he is out of office? It seems acceptable as long as that business is not selling national secrets out of his basement in Delaware. I'm also assuming these emails or even real. This is a dubious source that didn't seem to provide evidence they were even real. The only other sources reporting this are far right extremist news sources.

And it's such a ridiculous double set of double and triple standards anyway. We are supposed to be outraged that someone is trying to influence Joe Biden by doing favors for Hunter, but just blow off putting the wife of the Senate leader in the Cabinet? COI needs to either apply to everyone in a household, or no-one but the individual themselves. I would strongly prefer the former but if it's going to be the latter, which is what Washington has chosen, than discussion about Hunter is pointless.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Nice comparison, who's kid is Fouts, Mr. MO-knower?

Hunter isn't a government employee.

What an incredibly lame hypothetical.  In other words, per yoosh

Edited by pfife

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

And it's such a ridiculous double set of double and triple standards anyway. We are supposed to be outraged that someone is trying to influence Joe Biden by doing favors for Hunter, but just blow off putting the wife of the Senate leader in the Cabinet? COI needs to either apply to everyone in a household, or no-one but the individual themselves. I would strongly prefer the former but if it's going to be the latter, which is what Washington has chosen, than discussion about Hunter is pointless.

I'm interested in hearing what your MO is, therefore paging Esweig

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

WAPO confirmed thousands of the emails, including the one I have mentioned.  

Freeh gave the money to Biden's grandkids as he's asking an eager Hunter for a chance to meet with his Dad.  That's old school political bribing.  You can argue that it's not black and white and technically this or that, but it's bullshit.  You know it, I know it.  As i've said, if you want to whatabout this and point to Trump being a bigger corrupt politician, I can't argue with that.  Jared, as it appears, did nothing illegal either in regards to the Saudi 2 billion, but in a perfect world, he's in jail over it right now.  

I guess the biggest thing about the Hunter stuff isn't that it should/shouldn't be a bigger story over X, Y, or Z, but that so many people actually think the laptop is fake news still.  

37 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

WAPO confirmed thousands of the emails, including the one I have mentioned.  

Freeh gave the money to Biden's grandkids as he's asking an eager Hunter for a chance to meet with his Dad.  That's old school political bribing.  You can argue that it's not black and white and technically this or that, but it's bullshit.  You know it, I know it.  As i've said, if you want to whatabout this and point to Trump being a bigger corrupt politician, I can't argue with that.  Jared, as it appears, did nothing illegal either in regards to the Saudi 2 billion, but in a perfect world, he's in jail over it right now.  

I guess the biggest thing about the Hunter stuff isn't that it should/shouldn't be a bigger story over X, Y, or Z, but that so many people actually think the laptop is fake news still.  

Jared was a federal employee. As was his wife.  Their personal relationship to the president is not germaine to the situation. 

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

Jared was a federal employee. As was his wife.  Their personal relationship to the president is not germaine to the situation. 

Maybe I just live in a different world.  If my elected official, regardless of the party they are in, have family members getting 100k gifts out of the kindness of someone's heart, I want that scrutinized.