Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Newsmax says she's too crazy for them. Unclear how much of this can be traced back to her assault. Hopefully she gets the help she clearly needs.

It's fun reading these things on Twitter and most of the replies are always just utterly insane people with no grasp of reality, and the vote of the "yeah, rich people drink the blood of children because Satan sent immigrants here" counts the same as mine not only that, but I'm supposed to be nice and respectful to them lol

What a country we live in 

On 8/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, ewsieg said:

If a city of warren businessman that might do business with the city at some point gave Fouts 100k and said 'whatever you choose to do in the future, i'd just like to work with you', you would be good with that?

I have a customer that is a government agency, if I saw one of their employees at Starbucks on my lunch and paid for their coffee I could face consequences.  

What would happen here is: I'd care about it a lot less than the president of the United States being a traitor. 

Normal people don't care about Hunter Biden one way or the other. But if we can't lock people far more important than him, why should anyone go to jail? 

If Trump can steal classified info, and almost certainly share it with dangerous and crazy people, why should anyone care if hunter smokes crack? Why should anyone care about a simple robbery? 

If the law doesn't apply to the most important people, it shouldn't apply to anyone. You're looking at it backward. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Newsmax says she's too crazy for them. Unclear how much of this can be traced back to her assault. Hopefully she gets the help she clearly needs.

I don't know Lara from Adam and as you said, I sincerely hope she gets the help for whatever trauma is persisting in her life. She is a human being and I wish her to get the support she needs to get better. But right now, we are in the grips of a very dangerous combination of factors. Ignorance of the general voting public, a willful manipulation of that group by a well funded right wing media ecosphere, and a group of downtrodden individuals who want people to feel as equally miserable as they do. When people say that cruelty is the point, it truly is. They want people to feel the pain and anguish that they do. Hence why migrants and children in cages, family separations, repression of LGBTQ youth, etc. doesn't bother the MAGA crowd. They are angry, hurting, brainwashed, and desensitized all at the same time.

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

What would happen here is: I'd care about it a lot less than the president of the United States being a traitor. 

Normal people don't care about Hunter Biden one way or the other. But if we can't lock people far more important than him, why should anyone go to jail? 

If Trump can steal classified info, and almost certainly share it with dangerous and crazy people, why should anyone care if hunter smokes crack? Why should anyone care about a simple robbery? 

If the law doesn't apply to the most important people, it shouldn't apply to anyone. You're looking at it backward. 

Actually I feel like I'm looking forward, not backward.  In a nuanced world, I think it's possible to see good and bad in all people.  Additionally, I think it's possible to criticize someone in one party as well as criticize someone in another even if as a whole, I completely support one over another.  Additionally punishment should fit the crime.

I am a conservative.  I, for the most part, voted only GOP for the first 20 years of my voting.  I had lots of issues with them, but as a whole, preferred them over the alternative.  At the same time, if there were crooks within the party, I wanted them called out under the hope that a better GOP candidate would emerge.  

I'm going to vote for Biden if the alternate is Trump.  At this time, we need to go to Bizarro world where somehow Kinzinger, Romney, or McMullen some how won the primary for the GOP before I could even entertain the thought of not voting for Biden (heck, even Harris).  That said, I really would love a better candidate than Biden.

I'm going to vote for Whitmer, despite the fact I don't think she was a good Governor.  Despite the fact her Lt Governor is a crook, whom I'm also going to vote for.  I'm going to vote for Nessel, despite the fact that she has been a horrible Attorney General.  Honestly, was she in on the Flint fiasco or the cover up at least?  I think I could make a better criminal case against her than Snyder.  Benson's husband is part of the McNamara machine and broke the law.  Nessel ignored it, I'm sure it helped him he's married to Benson.  Yup, i'm voting for her too.

So yes, Gilchrest should be in jail.  Benson's husband should be in jail, as should Duggan.  And there definitely should be an investigation into Nessel/Benson regarding her husband.  People in power should be held accountable.  Trump, well, i'd settle for jail until he dies.  He deserves worse though.  

Hunter peddled his father's influence for money and I'm confident that at the least, Joe knowingly helped feed that appearance to support his son.  Borderline crooked.  I'm also confident that Joe took it further, but that's just my gut based on the some of the emails/texts Hunter in all likelihood wrote.  

Edited by ewsieg

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't know Lara from Adam and as you said, I sincerely hope she gets the help for whatever trauma is persisting in her life. She is a human being and I wish her to get the support she needs to get better. But right now, we are in the grips of a very dangerous combination of factors. Ignorance of the general voting public, a willful manipulation of that group by a well funded right wing media ecosphere, and a group of downtrodden individuals who want people to feel as equally miserable as they do. When people say that cruelty is the point, it truly is. They want people to feel the pain and anguish that they do. Hence why migrants and children in cages, family separations, repression of LGBTQ youth, etc. doesn't bother the MAGA crowd. They are angry, hurting, brainwashed, and desensitized all at the same time.

I agree with this except for one part: the downtrodden red hats don’t want other people to feel equally miserable as they do. They want other people to feel more miserable than they do. Practically everyone wants to be in the better half of the privilege spectrum. That’s human nature.

Nerd Alert:

In defense of their use of the word “potential”, and only that: it’s a war crime only when it’s been determined as such by the International Criminal Court, and not when the paper simply publishes an article based on unvetted source testimony. Until the ICC rules on it, the media have to use the word “potential”. It’s a legitimate libel issue.

Edited by chasfh

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Nerd Alert:

In defense of their use of the word “potential”, and only that: it’s a war crime only when it’s been determined as such by the International Criminal Court, and not when the paper simply publishes an article based on unvetted source testimony. Until the ICC rules on it, the media have to use the word “potential”. It’s a legitimate libel issue.

Russia can sue the Times for libel?  The first sentence factually states the transfers are happening.  No qualifier. Therefore I don’t see the need for “potential”.  I don’t think the times needs to worry about calling it a “war crime”. It’s a generic enough term.  Nobody’s going to sue them. 

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

Russia can sue the Times for libel?  The first sentence factually states the transfers are happening.  No qualifier. Therefore I don’t see the need for “potential”.  I don’t think the times needs to worry about calling it a “war crime”. It’s a generic enough term.  Nobody’s going to sue them. 

It’s a journalistic best practice that they follow 100% of the time, regardless of the entity involved. If they call it a war crime before it’s officially determined to be, they veer into the subjectivity of determining who they choose to call it a war crime for and who they don’t. “But you called what Russia is doing a war crime, why aren’t you calling what this one African country is doing a war crime?” It leads to too much discussion they don’t want to have. Much more efficient to follow the rule all the time regardless and put up with online criticism about pulling punches versus serious, potentially actionable accusations of bias.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, oblong said:

Enjoy!

I can’t remember to what degree we have ever discussed this, and I also can’t remember when or whether I’ve ever across any articles contemplating this, but I do wonder how much a … ahem … tsunami of one-sided coverage of either party’s electoral chances affects partisan turnout and thus election results.

In this case, I could hypothesize that the coverage on all sides of the media spectrum was so completely tilted toward the red wave idea that it may have caused many D voters to freak out and storm the polls to do whatever they could to try to stop it; as well as many R voters to believe the win was so completely in the bag that they figured their vote wasn’t even needed so they just stayed home and waited around to enjoy the results.

I guess the proof in that pudding would be any data comparing D turnout with R turnout in battleground districts and states, but absent that, It seems really possible to me something like that happens.

24 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

this guy consistently calls out the corporate media (where he previously worked) one of my fav feeds

Ask any one of those 13 questions, and the second question would never even be heard as Pence’s handlers would immediately commandeer him out of the room, while the rest of the media pummels the CNN reporter for jeopardizing their future access to Pence and perhaps others in the party without significant conditional concessions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...