Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

7 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Which reminds me, as a periodic update, still crickets from self described media ombudsmen Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi and Stephen "Red Steeze" Miller.... The fact that two of the three are regular contributors to Fox is probably just coincidental lol

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Which reminds me, as a periodic update, still crickets from self described media ombudsmen Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi and Stephen "Red Steeze" Miller.... The fact that two of the three are regular contributors to Fox is probably just coincidental lol

I’m sure Howard Kurtz will talk about it too.  Right?

• 2 weeks later...

If Fox prevents him from discussing that then they should stop that show and related segments and quit commenting on anything related to the media and political angles.  Not that they had much anyway but how can you have a show or people discussing the media's role in politics and not cover this kind of lawsuit?  

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The only problem with this lawsuit is that it isn't big enough. Even with a treble punitive damage award it won't have the effect on Fox that is needed.

I'm not a huge fan of cancel culture, but this is a prime example of where it can be useful.  Lets say something like the NFL filing paperwork to void their contract with Fox over this would be the wake up call needed for Fox Corp to do something.

The NFL would never kill their golden goose. To me the Fox O and O's are not the problem. The problem is the "News" division at the cable level. If companies like Comcast and Cox as well as Direct TV would make moves to delist Faux News then you would be on to something. It's better to cancel guys like Hannity and Tucker than Bart and Homer 

• Thanks 1

Cable and Satellite companies could give subscribers the option to remove those networks in exchange for a $6 reduction in monthly fees.  Why wouldn't they want to do that?  They can "cut costs to the consumer".  Fox would bitch but I don't see their argument making any kind of legal standing.  If viewers want it they can pay.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more a la carte options like that.  If they pay a network $5 a month for example, but offer the consumer a $4 reduction to have that removed then the company is still making $1 month to cover overhead and "profit".  If they just hack off most of the pass through cost then what's it hurt them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The NFL would never kill their golden goose. To me the Fox O and O's are not the problem. The problem is the "News" division at the cable level. If companies like Comcast and Cox as well as Direct TV would make moves to delist Faux News then you would be on to something. It's better to cancel guys like Hannity and Tucker than Bart and Homer 

From a money standpoint, I'm guessing other golden gooses would be happy to step up.  But you're right, the NFL itself wouldn't do it, but pressure from the players union would spur media pressure, etc.  

Take a look at CNN.  They were no where near the gutter that Fox News has been playing in, yet Warner/Discovery was still willing to give up money in order to attempt to reshape it to something that may not be as profitable, but better prestige for the parent company as a hole.  

If Fox news became a liability for the parent company, that might finally create the change needed.

14 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

They were no where near the gutter that Fox News has been playing in, yet Warner/Discovery was still willing to give up money in order to attempt to reshape it to something that may not be as profitable, but better prestige for the parent company as a hole. 

Have to agree with pfife here. CNN wasn't trying to improve their prestige, they simply wanted to do better in the ratings wars by being less offensive to the US right wing. But that was a fool's errand anyway because they aren't going to out 'FOX' Fox. And frankly I don't know how you tell the truth - which is the 1st requirement for prestige, and court the US right wing. Which is why CNN is in a box just as bad or worse than it was before Warner's attempts to reposition it.

In fact to take it a step further, Prestige and Profit in media are pretty much mutually exclusive (as the old CBS/ABC/NBC "news as loss leader" system of the past showed) and I have no doubt CNN's new overlords are far more interested in the latter than the former.

Edited by gehringer_2