Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

On 3/23/2023 at 11:34 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Sometimes I wonder if he even reviews his scripts before going on the air. But then again I would probably wager he's laughing all the way to the bank. 

The highlighted porton is most likely correct.  I don't think he believes or cares about most of the stuff he says.  He is just there to make a buck.  

37 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The highlighted porton is most likely correct.  I don't think he believes or cares about most of the stuff he says.  He is just there to make a buck.  

Tucker should remember his long ago quote about Bill O'Reily 

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/old-clip-of-tucker-carlson-accusing-bill-oreilly-of-deep-phoniness-goes-viral-after-texts-showed-carlson-actually-loathes-trump/

Carlson then discusses the quote a length, saying, “That’s right. I said before that that, you know, Bill O’Reilly is really talented, more talented than I am. You know, he’s got a lot more viewers, and I know he’s a better communicator than I am.”

But I think there’s kind of a deep phoniness at the center of his shtick. And again, as I say, the shtick is sort of built on this perception that he is the character he plays,” 

I think Dominion's goal is just to get the big name hosts under oath.  Get them to admit certain things under threat of perjury. On record.

But the effect will be the same as when Vince McMahon admitted under oath that wrestling was scripted.  That was the 90's.  Then it took off and became huge.  The fans won't care.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I think Dominion's goal is just to get the big name hosts under oath.  Get them to admit certain things under threat of perjury. On record.

But the effect will be the same as when Vince McMahon admitted under oath that wrestling was scripted.  That was the 90's.  Then it took off and became huge.  The fans won't care.

I dont care if the fans care. The admissions and damages for admitting the truth is enough for me

6 hours ago, oblong said:

How could anybody have thought that wrestling was unscripted?  I knew it was fake when I was about 9 years old.  It's so obvious.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

How could anybody have thought that wrestling was unscripted?  I knew it was fake when I was about 9 years old.  It's so obvious.  

It wasn’t a shock because they didn’t know any better. It was because it was the first time it was ever acknowledged by anyone in the business. Answers were always playfully evasive.  This was the steroid trial. 

• Like 1

The weird incongruity of the "Rock and Wrestling Connection" that was promoted by MTV was just too much for me.  Was never something I liked.  There was a weird UHF quality to it in the 70s and early 80s I could enjoy but once it got to my basic cable and was something that was pushing out videos from my favorite bands, i couldn't abide it.   Years later to see the divergence of politics between the two, Its really seems odd that ever happened.

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The only way out now for Fox is to settle. I don't know what it would take for Dominion to agree, but I hope they never accept.

I would love to see an on air acknowledgment about their actions and a rebranding of their "top" shows as opinion. A running scroll for a minimum of 30 days. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The only way out now for Fox is to settle. I don't know what it would take for Dominion to agree, but I hope they never accept.

I suppose in a civil suit you cannot force a trial if the defendent agrees to whatever demands were in the initial suit. Just hope they initially made some kind of hard demand for meaningful on air retractions as well as the damages. In fact if a public trial is what Dominion really wanted in the first place, that is exactly what they would have done - made demands for the kind of public mea culpa to which they know Fox would never agree.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I would love to see an on air acknowledgment about their actions and a rebranding of their "top" shows as opinion. A running scroll for a minimum of 30 days. 

Gimme at least 3 years, not 30+ days...

And I have the perfect scroll:

"We're a bunch of fucking LIARS!"

I don’t know the mechanics of civil suits. Is there anything where a judge can say one side is being “unreasonable” and force arbitration?   Can a judge say before a trial get in a room and exchange numbers and try to settle?  I think Dominion would say $1 award if they got Fox to admit to a bunch of stuff. 

Picking a fight with the users of Tesla and Twitter didn't seem to work as a financial plan

He still has a near monopoly on commercial space launch.   You'd think he'd be egging on the war to support Ukraine because sanctions have helped him a lot with that as the commercial launch business has to abide by sanctions.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think any of her opinions are intense.  They are just stupid.  

If we have moved to the point where a sitting congressman publicly espousing secession is not considered an intense opinion, then we have indeed crossed the rubicon.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

If we have moved to the point where a sitting congressman publicly espousing secession is not considered an intense opinion, then we have indeed crossed the rubicon.

It would be intense if somewhat who understood what it meant said it, but she's a moron.  

That being said, I think interviewing her on 60 Minutes is a mistake.  It seems like a good way for a very long-running show to lose a lot of credibility.  

Edited by Tiger337