Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Lol at arguing that CNN is changing to increase its prestige

I'm not necessarily arguing it.  I can't remember what podcast where they talked about Licht and directives he was given.  In short, Warner Bros thinks CNN is still a crown jewel for it's overall product and worth more to Warner Bros as a trusted news source than the profit CNN may be able to get if they did anything possible to get ratings.

Overall they see cable news, just like many other cable stations, dying as cord cutting is happening.  So instead of further sacrificing their perception in the eyes of middle America, take the hit now, cut costs and focus on the news.  Additionally they stated that CNN is still the leader in major breaking news and that even a decent number of regular Fox users switch to CNN if there is a major event and they want to expand on that.   

I'm not arguing that Warner Bros is saying they can lose money or not try to be profitable, just sounds like they view the CNN channel differently than Fox Corp views Fox News channel.

Back in the days of Cronkite and Brinkley the networks news divisions were never considered to be profit centers. Then the bean counters and "consultants" took the place of folks who truly believed in good journalism.

Radio stations who switched to talk from music had shows that presented both sides of the issues. But Carter, Reagan and Clinton along with congress killed that so all that's left is the same 30 rehashed songs on the FM and right wing propaganda on the AM.

Cable gives "reality" program and occasionally sports if we're luck....and we pray to the neon gods 

Just me spitballing but if you viewership depends on catering to the fringe maybe it's time to rethink your strategy.

Fox News was credible when they first came on the air, but something happened around 2008, or possibly a bit before. With the rise of the Tea Party and the election of Obama they went from "Fair and Balanced" to "Unhinged and Deranged" 

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1

I'm a bit of a Sunday show conniseur... I listen to them all as pods and usually a pod that critiques and analyzes them.   For a long time Fox News Sunday was consistently the 2nd best one.  Chris Wallace was a beast.

The undisputed champ of Sunday shows is CBS Face the Nation with Margaret Brenner.   

I think CMRivdog is on point.   There was actually a time when I liked Bill Orielly and I've never been a conservative ever.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

It was always my favorite, at least their Sunday show and certain ones on the news channel.  The network of Tony Snow and Krauthammer.  Those were my guys. 

I though C.K. had a lot of useful things to say early in his career, but it seemed like Obama's determination to get the US out of lapdog status to whatever injustices Israel wanted to commit in the West Bank was more than he could handle and it seemed to drive him right into the lunatic right's arms before he passed.

18 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

What an asshole

This should be coupled with DJT's comments at CPAC about Fetterman...

Like, I know we're all beseeched to understand the appeal of this movement at all times and the reasons it has taken hold, but this is beyond any of that.... just pure, unadultered hate for the crime of dealing with an issue that affects 1 out of every 5 Americans. Equal parts cruel and out of touch.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This should be coupled with DJT's comments at CPAC about Fetterman...

Like, I know we're all beseeched to understand the appeal of this movement at all times and the reasons it has taken hold, but this is beyond any of that.... just pure, unadultered hate for the crime of dealing with an issue that affects 1 out of every 5 Americans. Equal parts cruel and out of touch.

It does not help them just like attacking yhe Bidens for Hunters drug issues.  Every family most likely has someone who has dealt with addiction.  When people like them mock it then suburban voters walk away. 

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

It does not help them just like attacking yhe Bidens for Hunters drug issues.  Every family most likely has someone who has dealt with addiction.  When people like them mock it then suburban voters walk away. 

Donald Trump's brother was an Alcoholic and as soon as he died, he orchestrated cutting his heirs out of the family fortune.   I think it was one of his first phone calls after finding out that he died.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

DJTJr mocking anyone for drug use...is an irony-powered space ship diving straight into the black hole at the center of the galaxy.

Edited by romad1

5 hours ago, oblong said:

100%, and that is a lesson that some of the supposed alternatives (ie. DeSantis) haven't learned either. That kinda behavior just doesn't have as much purchase beyond the hard core base.

It's one thing when we are talking policy differences - there are legit differences between the two parties and sides in a variety of ways. Instead, this kinda stuff just says a lot about values. These are just truly terrible and broken individuals 

So, am I supposed to cheer & be happy today because two or three Republican senators decided to push back a little bit on Tucker’s  retelling of the January 6 insurgency? Three or four out of …  Out of what, 48 Republicans? And absolutely no Congress person Making any comment from the right side of the aisle about Carlson’s  broadcast?
What the holy hell, man?

No sorry, …..I’m not happy at all. There are a whole list of people I really detest at the moment  -  Kevin McCarthy, …that squealing , little coward. And Tucker Carlson? You’re a traitor. Plain&simple.

What in the world? I can’t believe I’m watching the end of my country happening right before my very eyes.

• Like 4