Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

ok, then you can preface every post on this message board with "i dont know."

I'm not going to do that because there are things that I comment on on this message board where I feel that I have enough information for which to develop an educated opinion on.

This isn't one of them. And there is nothing wrong with admitting that.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

You mean the guy who decided it would be best to take a symbol on par with Coca Cola in terms of world recognition and place it alongside a nameplate for Volvo and Mercury?  The guy who took the Blue Oval off stationary, buildings, etc. and was more interested in Land Rover and Jaguar?

Tears were shed when they put the Ford logo back on the World Headquarters building in Dearborn after Mr. Nasser.

Yeah, that guy.

And just to note, the underlying assumption here that Musk cares if Twitter is profitable, or is even buying it as business vs a vanity play, is tenuous at best. 

Musk is in a odd place. His wealth is based on largely on Tesla, but he's stuck. He can't cash out much of Tesla because it will crater the stock value. But the truth is, and Musk must know it as well as anyone, is that Tesla's valuation can't sustain. And it's way worse for Tesla than for other tech companies about which this has been said but which still don't some down because very soon, Tesla is not going to have anything unique about its product, nor unexplored about its market. There are hundreds of thousand of competitive E-vehicles starting to roll off non-tesla production lines even as I type this and the revenue to valuation ratios of the companies making those cars is nothing like Tesla's. So something has to give - and it isn't going to be Ford or GM or VW stock going to $500/share. 

Telsa is like Bitcoin but with no way to keep the mystery that feeds the overvaluation going.

Edited by gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

603050630_Screenshot_20220427-140841_KiwiBrowser.thumb.jpg.ce2c8ca74aba09f8925ed17502906974.jpg

Tesla is more valuable than all those brands combined. Something has got to give at some point. 

right. It's 100% musical chairs/greater fool at this point. Keep riding as long as possible but woe to the last man off. History has shown that sometimes you can keep this going a lot longer than than anyone would ever think, but like I said, you need a certain level of mystery or uniqueness or something on which people can hang their belief that 'this is something different, the old valuation rules don't apply." You could do that as long as Tesla was a unique product. It would certainly be a new thing if they can keep that valuation ball in the air once the uniqueness is gone.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

right. It's 100% musical chairs/greater fool at this point. Keep riding as long as possible but woe to the last man off. History has shown that sometimes you can keep this going a lot longer than than anyone would ever think, but like I said, you need a certain level of mystery or uniqueness or something on which people can hang their belief that 'this is something different, the old valuation rules don't apply." You could do that as long as Tesla was a unique product. It would certainly be a new thing if they can keep that valuation ball in the air once the uniqueness is gone.

I think Tesla can do it because Musk is a master grifter. Tesla is always promising something but fails to deliver. Since 2016, Musk has been saying full self driving was a year away. The Cybertruck was suppose to be on the road by now. The factory to build them isn't even completed yet. He took $100,000 deposits for the Tesla roadster back in like 2017. They still haven't been delivered. He's promising robotaxis. At the end of the day, all Tesla is an aged platform that has numerous build quality issues. Musk will keep promising revolutionary technology and his cult followers will continue to support him and troll Twitter much the same way Trumpers do. 

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

tesla got into that market first and has created itself into a luxury brand with a ton of brand loyalty.

the stock price is due to a lot of tangential things, but the company continues to grow and carve out a niche for itself.

if the stock orice ever comes down, you'd think they would be a prime takeover/merger target for someone like toyota.

if im musk, i'm using this money i have now to buy other stuff before the inevitable tesla stock price decline.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Dr. Fauci speaking at the UM commencement:

Fight "the normalization of untruths"

Good advice but not exactly prime bumper sticker material. 🙄

Didn’t know he was speaking on Saturday and had the misfortune of driving by Michigan Stadium and being stuck in traffic in the middle of a MAGA anti-Fauci protest. 

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds good on paper, and Chris Licht figured out pretty quickly how to fix Colbert's then-new CBS show. I hope they follow through on this.

1 big thing ... Scoop: CNN evaluating partisan talent

1654553833856.jpg

Photo: Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images

CNN's new boss Chris Licht is evaluating whether personalities and programming that grew polarizing during the Trump era can adapt to the network's new priority to be less partisan.

Why it matters: If talent cannot adjust to a less partisan tone and strategy, they could be ousted, three sources familiar with the matter tell Axios.

Details: Licht wants to give personalities who may appear polarizing a chance to prove they're willing to uphold the network's values so that they don't tarnish CNN's journalism brand.

• For on-air talent, that includes engaging in respectful interviews that don't feel like PR stunts. For producers and bookers, that includes making programming decisions that are focused on nuance, not noise.

Between the lines: CNN's tone became more partisan and combative during the Trump era and under the leadership of former CNN president Jeff Zucker.

• Some on-air personalities, like Jim Acosta and Brian Stelter, have become the face of the network's liberal shift.

• Licht doesn't want to necessarily shy away from personality programming, especially in prime time, but he wants to ensure that partisan voices don't dominate in a way that harms CNN, a source notes.

• CNN did not comment.

Catch up quick: Licht and Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav haven't been shy about their goal of dialing back on partisan and alarmist programming in favor of traditional journalism.

• Last week, Licht told employees in a memo that the network has added a "Breaking News” guideline to its stylebook, to address overuse of the breaking news banner across its network and cable news.

• “We are truth-tellers, focused on informing, not alarming our viewers,” he said in the note obtained by Axios.

Go deeper.