Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

On 11/29/2021 at 1:39 PM, Tigerbomb13 said:

Amazing 

There are folks out there that had Covid and as they already had it, don't want the vaccine.  From a science perspective, they have a valid argument.  Obviously this portion was clipped, but i'm guessing that's what she's stating, that folks that can prove they tested positive, from a science point of view, currently pose no more risk than a vaccinated person and thus, probably should be treated the same.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

There are folks out there that had Covid and as they already had it, don't want the vaccine.  From a science perspective, they have a valid argument.  Obviously this portion was clipped, but i'm guessing that's what she's stating, that folks that can prove they tested positive, from a science point of view, currently pose no more risk than a vaccinated person and thus, probably should be treated the same.

there are speculations that a vaccine that targets a strong response via a narrow mechanism like the mRNA vaccine might induce better cellular (long term) immunity than actually having a case, but sure that is all pretty speculative and maybe a marginal difference at best.

There are studies that people that got vaccinated after having COVID are even more resistant to subsequent  exposure than those previously infected but not vaccinated so it stills seem a more rational course than letting yourself get it again.

• Thanks 1

We had a conversation with one of my nieces who teaches second grade in one of the poorest counties in the state (it's in Virginia's Northern Neck, about an hour or so outside DC). The last year has been a struggle.

She teaches second grade, has about 20 students in her class. The kids range from not knowing the alphabet, to those who are fairly competent at the reading level. She never knows who will be in class, especially with COVID. You would have a kid show up for a couple of says then miss two weeks because of family quarantine.  When the child gets back in class they've forgotten practically everything they've learned, because parents don't reinforce what they've been taught in schools.

The school system requires masks, but there you have parental objection. That on top of my nieces need for them to see her mouth when doing vocabulary. She just has them spread out in the classroom. (Last year when we talked about going up and visiting, she commented on how with her and her two young kids, the place was a petry dish.

The District received federal funding, she asked for matching chairs. They're not eligible for the funds. So she has a mismatch of big, little and medium chairs for the kids to sit on. They did get new carpeting, however.  They also received a lot of IT equipment that she doesn't need and doesn't have the free time to learn to use while the school's in session.

And you wonder why teachers are leaving in droves. Especially once they have become fully vested,

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

... There are studies that people that got vaccinated after having COVID are even more resistant to subsequent  exposure than those previously infected but not vaccinated so it stills seem a more rational course than letting yourself get it again.

That, and natural immunity from catching Covid weakens over time just as much as getting the double or single shot.

Get the booster and I think that matches the first part of what I quoted... the combination is just better than one thing alone...

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

there are speculations that a vaccine that targets a strong response via a narrow mechanism like the mRNA vaccine might induce better cellular (long term) immunity than actually having a case, but sure that is all pretty speculative and maybe a marginal difference at best.

And some people speculate that getting covid and recovering from it might induce better immunity.  With both, we don't know.  If anything, we know more about vaccines and as of just recently, the CDC is recommending everyone to get a booster.  6 months ago talks of boosters was considered way to speculative.  2 weeks ago the CDC said it wasn't needed for the majority of the population, now it's everyone eligible.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are studies that people that got vaccinated after having COVID are even more resistant to subsequent  exposure than those previously infected but not vaccinated so it stills seem a more rational course than letting yourself get it again.

So, if i'm reading this right, if you're under 65 and in decent health, get vaccinated and have Covid parties to help ensure you get the disease too, that way you're super resistant?

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That, and natural immunity from catching Covid weakens over time just as much as getting the double or single shot.

Right now, there is no evidence that serious risk from Covid weakens over time.  I would venture it's likely, but the ER's aren't full of vaccinated folks that haven't gotten their booster yet.  Additionally, look at Omnicron.   Unless there was a serious discussion of vaccinating the world, versus just the rich countries that can afford it, at some point we have to decide if it's better to line the pockets of the CEO's of Pfizer and Moderna to ensure we deal with very mild complications for 2 days versus mild complications for 4 days.  

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

And some people speculate.....

And the big party over the Merck announcement (molnupiravir) was apparently mostly hype. Actual efficacy levels apparently down in the 30% range - which is better than nothing but is way behind monoclonals and maybe the pfizer drug as well. Initial Merck press releases were talking 80% range. I hope someone is home at the SEC, but doubtful.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/11/30/1060130774/an-fda-panel-supports-merck-covid-drug-in-mixed-vote