Bold Predictions 2021

lordstanley

Page 1 of 3  

tiger337
Posted March 2
It is time for the annual bold prediction thread. This is not a thread where you take the medians of Baseball Prospectus simulations and use those for your predictions. This is a thread where you put down your spreadsheets and make predictions from your gut like a real man.  

Gehringer_2MotownSports Fan
Posted March 2
Riley Greene plays in Detroit in 2021

leflore
Posted March 2
Tarik makes the all-star team. Turnbull's era is sub 3.50. Miggy hits 27 HR. W Castro's ops is north .800. 

Longgone

Neither Mize, Manning or Skubal make the opening day roster.

Tenacious D
Posted March 2
Did anyone in 2020 predict a global pandemic would wipe out the majority of the season?  If so, I’m going with their boldyness and predictions.

ROMAD1

Posted March 2
Sad prediction.  Jim Price doesn't finish the season as analyst.

Tenacious D
Posted March 2
Willi Castro has more HR’s than errors ( both will exceed 20).

Daniel Norris will be dealt by the deadline.

Tarik Skubal is AL ROY.

Jonathan Schoop will lose his starting job by at least August 1.

Jose Cisnero will emerge as our closer

Tigers season will be fun to follow and will still finish with a top 5 worst record.

Biff Mayhem
Posted March 2
I know that there are a lot of dissenters of Jim Price but I think we as fans are really blessed with him. He used to annoy me to death (especially when they experimented with him doing PBP) but you'll never meet a more joyful person and he exudes that on the broadcasts.

chasfh
Posted March 2
I'm with you on this. I've liked Jim Price for many years now. As deserved as criticisms may have been early on, I think he has become much more a tell-it-like-it-is color guy, and maybe working with Numbers-Don't-Lie Dan helped lead Jim to that. Plus, he was my player coach when I went to Tigers camp in 2008 and he was as swell a player coach as you can hope for. However he's doing and wherever he goes from here, I hope the journey is as easy for him as it can be.

chasfh
Posted March 2
Casey Mize will have season-ending SLAP repair, Tarik Skubal and Matt Manning will struggle all year, Joey Wentz will become the #1 pitching prospect with a strong debut once he does toe the rubber at Comerica, Spencer Torkelson will be called up in April after his service time crosses the line, and Riley Greene will start the season in Lakeland and top out at Erie.

ROMAD1
Posted March 2
My worry is that his health is not great.  I also have traveled a tortured path of arriving at appreciation for Jim Price

roarintiger1
Posted March 2
Miguel Cabrera will lead the team in HRs, RBIs, and batting average.

chasfh
That's bold, all right! Although that probably also says more about the rest of the team than it does about 38-year-old Miguel Cabrera.

ROMAD1
Posted March 2
I would put my money on Niko or Jaimer for all those categories.

roarintiger1
Well, he wanted bold and from the gut.........So, there it was. 🙂

socaltiger
Posted March 2
The Tigers will win 75 games

leflore
Posted March 2
Sad that after several bottom dwelling seasons 75 wins is a bold prediction, but it is!

Casimir
Posted March 2
Keep in mind, they won only 23 last season.

Gehringer_2
Posted March 2
They also increased their winning percentage from 304 to 390 last season. 75 wins is a 460 winning % which would be about as positive a year to year improvement as I dare to hope for.

ROMAD1

Posted March 2
The jump from 2003 to 2004 winning percentage was pretty huge.  39 wins to 71 wins.   If we got that kind of jump i'd be delighted. 

sabretooth
Posted March 2
I have always loved Jim Price.  A passionate and warmhearted guy with deep roots in the organization. 

He is also a connection to the Tigers broadcast team going back to 1993, as well as Ernie.

I will always associate him with the 2004 - 2014 teams, which were a ton of fun, and especially 2006, which ranks as my favorite season of all.

I will miss him terribly when he is gone.

I picked up randomly the Andy Van Slyke “tell all” about the 2008 season. wow is interesting to read in light of that team having such high expectations and only winning 74 games.  

This season brought so much extra joy because it was such a bonus to have competitive baseball if not championship caliber baseball back.   

I like that Romad predicted Niko or Jeimer to lead the team in BA, HR's and RBI's, instead of roaringtiger's Miggy guess. Everyone was wrong on all counts. Harold .287 BA, Grossman 23 HR's, and Schoop 84 RBI's (Miggy is next closest at 75).

But Jeimer is leading the team in WAR with 3.5, and should end up the season as the leader. I would call that a consolation prize right there...

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im pretty sure I made some prediction in that thread but I can't remember what it was(surely it was that the Tigers would be a .500 team from May on). Seriously though I think it had something positive to do with Cabrera that didnt happen. 

I could only retrieve the cache for the first of the three pages. So unfortunately no one will be able to see that I predicted the Tigers would go 77-85, Turnbull would pitch a no-hitter, and Jack Morris would be suspended for a slur.

EDIT:  check that, page 2 coming up

Edited by lordstanley

page 2 of 3

Posted March 2
Robbie Grossman will be recognized as the Detroit Tigers MVP of 2021 by the press after the season.

Tenacious DMotownSports Fan
Posted March 2
I like Jim a lot.  Seems like a sweet guy.  I just don’t want him on my radio calling Tiger games.

lordstanley
Posted March 3
I predict the Tigers will buck conventional wisdom and utilize performance enhancing packs to charge towards the pennant and World Series. 

sabretooth
Posted March 5
Nunez, Schoop and Willi Castro will combine for over 80 HR

Motor City Sonics
Posted March 5
BOLD PREDICTION:

Casey Mize out for Tommy John surgery by May

Tarik Skubal gets in first base collision  and separates pitching shoulder.  Misses rest of season

Matt Manning quits baseball to join Elon Musk Mars expedition

Miguel Cabrera is in great shape at Spring Training (oh wait, already happened,  sorry)

Matthew Boyd actually pitches a game where he does not give up a home run

Willi Castro & Harold Castro switch jerseys as a joke and are suspended for the season by MLB

Zach Short punches Giancarlo Stanton after he calls him "Shortie" and breaks his hand,  Stanton misses the rest of the season too, and Yankee fans complain. 

Michael Fulmer leads team in wins with 7

33 different pitchers start a game for the Tigers in 2021 including 9 guys who haven't thrown a MLB pitch since 2018

AJ Hinch begs team to steal signs, but they somehow mess it up

49-113

Al Avila gets contract extension.

Fox Sports Detroit finally gets back on  You Tube TV for the 2022 season. 

Players go on strike for all of  2022 

Baseball returns in 2023 - nobody under 60 cares. 

Ads on jerseys (limit to 4 advertisers per team)

4 teams fold by 2025.  

sabretooth

Expand  
Not bold enough

ROMAD1
Posted March 5
Tork gets a taste for blood and begins hunting his teammates for sport. 

ROMAD1
Posted March 6
(apologies for politics intrusion)

Jacoby Jones insists that they read aloud the entire MLB rule book before they can take the field for every game. 

His teammates complain but he then insists they do it in every primary language of everyone on the 26 man roster.  So, they have an English language reading, a Spanish language reading, and he insists they do a version in gullah geetchee for Akil Baddoo.  Despite Baddoo's protestations that he is from Maryland not the coastal areas of Georgia and South Carolina.  Later we find out it was just Jacoby's way of making sure they cut Baddoo so he could save his own roster spot.

4 weeks later...
tiger337
Posted March 28

Booms:

Boyd will cut way down on his home runs and get his ERA under 4.00 in 180 innings.

Candelario shows that last season was no fluke and posts a .850 OPS for a full season.  

Skubal finishes in top three in Rookie of Year voting with 3.75 ERA and 10.5 K/9 before getting shut down at his innings limit in August.  

Busts:

Mize get lots of K's and shows flashes of brilliance, but is hit hard and needs to go to Toledo to works things out.  

Farmer will be awful and won't make it through May.

Goodrum won't last much longer than Farmer.  

RandyMarsh
Posted March 28
Baddoo leads the league in every offensive category....but doesn't win the MVP due to the rest of the team being garbage. 

Motor City Sonics
Posted March 28
So the opening day lineup will be............?

Grossman, lf
W. Castro, ss
Cabrera, 1b
Candelario, 3b
Schoop, 2b
Ramos, c
Mazara, rf
Baddoo, dh
Jones, cf

bobrob2004
Posted March 31 (edited)

Baddoo hits terribly and gets sent back to Minnesota per rule 5 draft rules.

Cabrera gets injured while playing 1B and is sidelined for over 2 months.

Isaac Paredes takes Cabrera's roster spot and hits surprisingly well.

Greg Soto gets 30 saves. 

Matt Manning pitches more Major League innings than Casey Mize.

The Tigers have a winning percentage of over .400 for the first time since 2016.  

Buddha
Posted April 1

paredes hits .290...with a .315 obp and .350 slg.

candelario hits .300 and is traded at the deadline for a lefty reliever who throws 100 mph but has control concerns and a 19 year old dominican shortstop who lynn henning tells us is the real star of the deal and is on everyone's radar as a future derek jeter.

boyd is not traded for gleybar torres.  again.

fulmer becomes the closer by the end of the year.

norris is the team's best starter, which says more about the team's starters than norris.  he is traded to the phillies at the deadline for someone who throws really hard and someone who runs really fast.  

mize looks great as a starter....once he's back in toledo but...

manning dazzles in his september call up.  mize returns in september and looks really good too (but doesnt "dazzle"!).

tigers win 69 games.  continuing the worst stretch of baseball in the franchise's history.  avila is given a contract extension for making so much progress ("this team won 47 games two years ago, that's a 22 win improvement" exclaims a happy chris illitch at the press conference.)

Stanley70
Posted April 1

Casey Mize is the Tigers best starter this year and has an era around 3.75.

Torkelson struggles to start the year in A ball and everyone panics.

The starting pitching overall is around league average.

The bullpen is horrible, aside from Norris.

Cabrera is so bad he is told he won't be back next year.

Final record 71-91.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

page 2 of 3

Posted March 2
Robbie Grossman will be recognized as the Detroit Tigers MVP of 2021 by the press after the season.

Tenacious DMotownSports Fan
Posted March 2
I like Jim a lot.  Seems like a sweet guy.  I just don’t want him on my radio calling Tiger games.

lordstanley
Posted March 3
I predict the Tigers will buck conventional wisdom and utilize performance enhancing packs to charge towards the pennant and World Series. 

sabretooth
Posted March 5
Nunez, Schoop and Willi Castro will combine for over 80 HR

Motor City Sonics
Posted March 5
BOLD PREDICTION:

Casey Mize out for Tommy John surgery by May

Tarik Skubal gets in first base collision  and separates pitching shoulder.  Misses rest of season

Matt Manning quits baseball to join Elon Musk Mars expedition

Miguel Cabrera is in great shape at Spring Training (oh wait, already happened,  sorry)

Matthew Boyd actually pitches a game where he does not give up a home run

Willi Castro & Harold Castro switch jerseys as a joke and are suspended for the season by MLB

Zach Short punches Giancarlo Stanton after he calls him "Shortie" and breaks his hand,  Stanton misses the rest of the season too, and Yankee fans complain. 

Michael Fulmer leads team in wins with 7

33 different pitchers start a game for the Tigers in 2021 including 9 guys who haven't thrown a MLB pitch since 2018

AJ Hinch begs team to steal signs, but they somehow mess it up

49-113

Al Avila gets contract extension.

Fox Sports Detroit finally gets back on  You Tube TV for the 2022 season. 

Players go on strike for all of  2022 

Baseball returns in 2023 - nobody under 60 cares. 

Ads on jerseys (limit to 4 advertisers per team)

4 teams fold by 2025.  

sabretooth

Expand  
Not bold enough

ROMAD1
Posted March 5
Tork gets a taste for blood and begins hunting his teammates for sport. 

ROMAD1
Posted March 6
(apologies for politics intrusion)

Jacoby Jones insists that they read aloud the entire MLB rule book before they can take the field for every game. 

His teammates complain but he then insists they do it in every primary language of everyone on the 26 man roster.  So, they have an English language reading, a Spanish language reading, and he insists they do a version in gullah geetchee for Akil Baddoo.  Despite Baddoo's protestations that he is from Maryland not the coastal areas of Georgia and South Carolina.  Later we find out it was just Jacoby's way of making sure they cut Baddoo so he could save his own roster spot.

4 weeks later...
tiger337
Posted March 28

Booms:

Boyd will cut way down on his home runs and get his ERA under 4.00 in 180 innings.

Candelario shows that last season was no fluke and posts a .850 OPS for a full season.  

Skubal finishes in top three in Rookie of Year voting with 3.75 ERA and 10.5 K/9 before getting shut down at his innings limit in August.  

Busts:

Mize get lots of K's and shows flashes of brilliance, but is hit hard and needs to go to Toledo to works things out.  

Farmer will be awful and won't make it through May.

Goodrum won't last much longer than Farmer.  

RandyMarsh
Posted March 28
Baddoo leads the league in every offensive category....but doesn't win the MVP due to the rest of the team being garbage. 

Motor City Sonics
Posted March 28
So the opening day lineup will be............?

Grossman, lf
W. Castro, ss
Cabrera, 1b
Candelario, 3b
Schoop, 2b
Ramos, c
Mazara, rf
Baddoo, dh
Jones, cf

bobrob2004
Posted March 31 (edited)

Greg Soto gets 30 saves. 

The Tigers have a winning percentage of over .400 for the first time since 2016.  

Buddha
Posted April 1

paredes hits .290...with a .315 obp and .350 slg.

candelario hits .300 and is traded at the deadline for a lefty reliever who throws 100 mph but has control concerns and a 19 year old dominican shortstop who lynn henning tells us is the real star of the deal and is on everyone's radar as a future derek jeter.

boyd is not traded for gleybar torres.  again.

fulmer becomes the closer by the end of the year.

norris is the team's best starter, which says more about the team's starters than norris.  he is traded to the phillies at the deadline for someone who throws really hard and someone who runs really fast.  

mize looks great as a starter....once he's back in toledo but...

manning dazzles in his september call up.  mize returns in september and looks really good too (but doesnt "dazzle"!).

tigers win 69 games.  continuing the worst stretch of baseball in the franchise's history.  avila is given a contract extension for making so much progress ("this team won 47 games two years ago, that's a 22 win improvement" exclaims a happy chris illitch at the press conference.)

Stanley70
Posted April 1

Casey Mize is the Tigers best starter this year and has an era around 3.75.

Torkelson struggles to start the year in A ball and everyone panics.

The starting pitching overall is around league average.

The bullpen is horrible, aside from Norris.

Cabrera is so bad he is told he won't be back next year.

Final record 71-91.

Buddha nailed it with his Fulmer finishing as the closer pick(don't know if he's the true designated closer but he has closed out alot of our games) and Stanley nailed it with the Mize pick and Tork struggling in A ball to start and everybody panics.  That was so on the mark he should get a prize for it.

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Buddha nailed it with his Fulmer finishing as the closer pick(don't know if he's the true designated closer but he has closed out alot of our games) and Stanley nailed it with the Mize pick and Tork struggling in A ball to start and everybody panics.  That was so on the mark he should get a prize for it.

Stanley wasn't terribly far off on the starting pitching either.

Makes up for his prediction of 2021 being the Year of Vanman haha

Edited by mtutiger

• 2 weeks later...

Who was the idiot that made these dumb predictions?

Greg Soto gets 30 saves.