The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This. It won't be hard to find a jury to acquit - all they have to do in FLA is find a white one which should be easy in an area that is >90% white.

Especially when DeSantis weighs in on it, thus giving state approval to the shooting.

Posted (edited)

Trump has already promised absolute immunity for police

https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2024/trump-legal-argument-protection-president/

“You can’t stop police from doing the job of strong & effective crime prevention because you want to guard against the occasional ‘rogue cop’ or ‘bad apple,’” he wrote in all caps. “Sometimes you just have to live with ‘great but slightly imperfect.’” Police officers are protected against lawsuits related to their official actions, called “qualified immunity.”

Without “complete & total presidential immunity,” Trump wrote, “the authority & decisiveness of a president of the United States will be stripped & gone forever.”

It's what he's wanted all along an absolute police state

Along with a tax haven for billionaires 

Edited by CMRivdogs

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

but I don't agree with your attempt to shift the focus of the story to some civil rights attorney.

I wasn't looking to shift the focus, just expounded on one aspect of the story, a lying story, put out by Crump.  If it's impossible to make the narrative worse than it already was, then you'd think there would be no need to lie about it.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I wasn't looking to shift the focus, just expounded on one aspect of the story, a lying story, put out by Crump.  If it's impossible to make the narrative worse than it already was, then you'd think there would be no need to lie about it.

And yet you continue to make whoever the **** this Crump is the point. 

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

He has not been on NPR recenlty so give him a break! LOL

I'd expect Crump to be on NPR daily, probably with his own show called 'hands up, don't shoot'.

• Haha 1

Seriously. Despite its apparent comic value, the name never broke through to me in any news stories I read about incidents he was involved in. But I can see how right-wing media, which thrives on demonization and dehumanization, would name him and show his face over and over to rile up their consumers and get them clicking on ads for gold-based 401(k)s and fascist pillows.

Although: part of it might also be that I don't generally pay close attention to stories about big topics like police shootings or mass protests that mainly focus on a sprawling cast of named characters and how they interpersonally interact. People will get named in these stories, even people with funny names, and I will immediately forget the names while internalizing the big idea the stories are getting across. Zimmerman and Trayvon was different because it was the first, or one of the first, story of its kind; same with George Floyd and Derek (or was it Darren?) Chauvin. But I don't remember the names of anyone from any of the follow-up incidents, at least not in terms of unaided recall. Tell me their names and it might ring a bell, or it might not. But I don't generally think of stories about incidents with broad sociological or political implications as being about this person vs. that person. That would explain in part why Crump doesn't ring even a little bell.

41 minutes ago, VegasTiger said:

I'm pretty much MSNBC exclusively so it's probably just my own bubble. It's not like I'm a big fan or something. I just don't know how you avoided him.

… and, now, I know who it is.  I guess I honestly never made note of his name before.

I'm just surprised because he reminds me of a Fieger, where he tries to be in front of the camera as much as possible.  And while the right wing might make him out to be a boogie man.... you know for things like blatantly lying and little things like that, he's definitely not a product of right wing media.  Quick google search on his name and I find this on the first page (national news only):

The independent - Leans Left
The Hill - Center
Newsweek - Center
PBS - Leans Left
Yahoo - Leans Left
NBC News - Leans Left
USA Today - Leans left
The Daily Wire - Right
Huffington Post - Left
The New Yorker - Left

Additionally, an all-sides search on his name based on left, center, right sources yields:

Left - 6620 results
Center - 2450 results
Right - 2030 results

Thus why overall just a bit surprised so many of you don't know about him.  In my younger, more snarky and more ideological days, I'd probably respond with something like "of course you liberals don't have any idea who's even saying the talking points you throw back at me"   🙂

Posted (edited)

I still don't know anything about the guy, and FWIW, which may or may not be much, your all sides research looks like a bunch of random websites and numbers without sourcing, linking, or corroboration.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I still don't know anything about the guy, and FWIW, which may or may not be much, your all sides research looks like a bunch of random websites and numbers without sourcing, linking, or corroboration.

If you're interested in how they determine, they provide information on it.  I don't count it as the gospel, but have used it as an additional resource.

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias

• Thanks 1

No it's not. Tired of the media playing this out as if it's just normal banter and both sides need to cool it.

The gentle bear from Georgia cannot handle a black woman as her peer, that's her problem.

• Like 1