The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

12 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

HR 6192 - the HOOHAA bill - very important people!

And the bill is just as ****ty as you would imagine it is:

To amend the Energy Policy and Conservation Act to prohibit the Secretary of Energy from prescribing any new or amended energy conservation standard for a product that is not technologically feasible and economically justified, and for other purposes.

Emphasis on the ****tiest part is mine.

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

These are not serious people. Example 4112024

Except that they are seriously carrying water for as industry seeking to eliminate as much regulation as they can manage.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Except that they are seriously carrying water for as industry seeking to eliminate as much regulation as they can manage.

Are the industry groups (Whirlpool execs?) seriously asking for these bills?  That seems debatable.  Seems more likely that these crybabies, cranks and sexual deviants are making crap up about the appliance industry to further their own weird agendas.  

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Are the industry groups (Whirlpool execs?) seriously asking for these bills?  That seems debatable.  Seems more likely that these crybabies, cranks and sexual deviants are making crap up about the appliance industry to further their own weird agendas.  

It's all because of the conspiracy theory that Democrats are trying to ban gas stoves because of climate change. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

It's all because of the conspiracy theory that Democrats are trying to ban gas stoves because of climate change. 

Reading up on the one PAC that comes up in my duckduckgo search is the Home Appliance PAC

PAC Profile: Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers • OpenSecrets  

They don't appear to be a going concern.   That said.  The Home Depot CEO appears to have a bone to pick with the idea that dishwashers are not providing nuclear reactor temperature water at speed. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think you're giving them too much credit. MAGA has been railing against the woke Democrats who are trying to take away their gas stoves for a while now. 

Nah, I've heard that.  I'm just thinking in terms of the industry execs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My working hypothesis is that the industry would love to have engineering constraints to add to their machines so they can charge more for a relatively simple device.  

you might think that, but the bean counters that run most US corps actually hate their engineering and development staffs, wish they could do without them completely, so they hate having to rely on them for anything, and just assume that since they have spent so much effort cutting and commoditizing their own that any requirement for them to innovate will be an unalloyed advantage to their competition. So no, US execs *never* like regulation on that basis.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you might think that, but the bean counters that run most US corps actually hate their engineering and development staffs, wish they could do without them completely, so they hate having to rely on them for anything, and just assume that since they have spent so much effort cutting and commoditizing their own that any requirement for them to innovate will be an unalloyed advantage to their competition. So no, US execs *never* like regulation on that basis.

Ok, that is fair.   They certainly advertise to their manipulation of science in the advancement of public interest. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I could definitely see the possibility of manufacturing groups lobbying Republicans for favorable legislation that reduces or eliminates regulations.

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I could definitely see the possibility of manufacturing groups lobbying Republicans for favorable legislation that reduces or eliminates regulations.

appliance manufacture is a world wide business and without doing any specific research I'm going to guess they have to meet pretty much the same kind of standards in the EU/Japan etc. so yeah - they won't complain to be free of US standards but it is mostly right wing virtue signalling. OTOH, some of the eco stuff can get pretty silly. The greenhouse gas contribution from cooking a dinner on a gas cook top is a pimple on a gnat's ass. Spend the political energy where the real payoff is - the grid, transportation, utility generation, heavy industry.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, some of the eco stuff can get pretty silly. The greenhouse gas contribution from cooking a dinner on a gas cook top is a pimple on a gnat's ass. Spend the political energy where the real payoff is - the grid, transportation, utility generation, heavy industry.

Ding, ding, ding. This is akin to trying to blame greenhouse gas emissions on cows and beef consumption. Focus on the actual significant contributors.

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, some of the eco stuff can get pretty silly. The greenhouse gas contribution from cooking a dinner on a gas cook top is a pimple on a gnat's ass. Spend the political energy where the real payoff is - currying favor with Trump by claiming the 2020 election was stolen and that the J6 convicts are actually patriots and hostages.

All fixed! 😉

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, microline133 said:

Ding, ding, ding. This is akin to trying to blame greenhouse gas emissions on cows and beef consumption. Focus on the actual significant contributors.

I understand that the public communication calculus can get complicated, you don't want to give any segment of society a pass on fixing global warming, or create loopholes in the social discipline needed to address the problem, but....the truth is that the 'zero carbon' mantra is non-sensical from the planetary perspective. The planet turns over billions of tons of CO2 all the time through it 'normal' processes. All that really matters is that human generation has to return to levels that do not create a significant shift in that continuing background planetary carbon budget. That will still be a lot of campfires. But politically I'm willing to understand that that is too complex a tale to tell when you are trying to move a society from point A to point B.

Edited by gehringer_2

I never really thought of her as being of The Squad, even though she was presented as the face of it. I have thought for some time now she has a long and serious future in the party and in national politics. As far as I'm concerned, she is nothing like Cori Bush or Rashida Tlaib. She is definitely not a dilettante.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There were two special state house elections in Michigan. Both in pretty blue districts and both won by Democrats. Macomb County gets a bad rap but Warren has now election a young liberal woman as mayor, a black woman to city council, and now a young liberal Asian woman as state rep.

*Edit* Guess this isn’t congress related but whatever. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

There were two special state house elections in Michigan. Both in pretty blue districts and both won by Democrats. Macomb County gets a bad rap but Warren has now election a young liberal woman as mayor, a black woman to city council, and now a young liberal Asian woman as state rep.

*Edit* Guess this isn’t congress related but whatever. 

not unexpected but still a big deal as the Dems can move legislation in the House again.

Edited by gehringer_2