The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Filipkowski may be correct about Trump fatigue inside the party in general, however I don't believe that is what is driving McConnell's decisions. I think in this particular case it's more about Mitch's failing health.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, pfife said:

Super excited for a GOP Senate leader fight.  

We're going to miss Cocaine Mitch.  Whoever it is will be far worse.

It will be a big loss.  Mitch is an asshole and I hate him for what he did regarding the SC picks, granted it showed he had balls of steel.  He DGAF.   But he also stood up for our Allies globally.   This will be one more step towards maga and the makeup of the Senate is not shaping up to be a good thing for our country.  If the GOP were in the minority I wouldn't care.  But a Majority leader full on MAGA is not good.

I agree with 95% of that but what I will disagree with is that Cocaine was super frickin good at his job, whereas incompetence and self-sabotage is a defining feature of MAGA.   So I'd anticipate a bit more fail on much crappier goals.

That said, I think the following would happen in the senate under Maga leadership:

1) They would never ever ever bring a Democratic president's judicial nominees forward.

2) They may block other cabinet appointments just because

3) They will nuke the filibuster if that's the only thing between them and something like a national abortion ban.

So you are saying that they'd do bad things, which will end up being good because the public will not go along with those bad things and in the end vote them out?

Nuking the filibuster could be a good thing... one of those things you want but would rather the other side do it first 🙂

1 minute ago, oblong said:

So you are saying that they'd do bad things, which will end up being good because the public will not go along with those bad things and in the end vote them out?

Nuking the filibuster could be a good thing... one of those things you want but would rather the other side do it first 🙂

That's not my theory, I don't think any of that is prima facie good but I could see some good around getting rid of the filibuster but that's not a single edged sword.

The theory you raised about them being so ****ty they get voted out was first proposed in this forum way back in the day by Couga (aka Mellencamp) around 2016 or 2017.  I don't see it in the media or here very much but I distinctly remember him saying that  and thinking.... "that's interesting.... we'll see!" and given how crappy MAGA does in elections he may have been correct.

I don't know that the Senate will be so susceptible though given it's extremely undemocratic nature and 6 year terms.   I think the only reason the Senate is so close is b/c the GOP can't help but run crappy maga candidates.

20 hours ago, oblong said:

Whoever it is will be worse. It will break the Senate.

Mitch stole a Supreme Court and refused to do his Constitutional duties and allow a nomination for Supreme Court Justice to come up for a vote. I know it can get worse, but that usurping of his Constitutional responsibilities is pretty damn bad and egregious. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mitch stole a Supreme Court and refused to do his Constitutional duties and allow a nomination for Supreme Court Justice to come up for a vote. I know it can get worse, but that usurping of his Constitutional responsibilities is pretty damn bad and egregious. 

Did I suggest otherwise?

Mitch doesn't want to shut it down right now but he has been part of it in the past.

How could it be worse?  I think it's very realistic that they refuse to vote on any Democratic president's judicial nominees - at any level.