The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

It official. Dem leadership goes on record that they will turn back any motion to vacate from MTG. 

I wonder what they got from Johnson in return?

“At this moment, upon completion of our national security work, the time has come to turn the page on this chapter of Pro-Putin Republican obstruction,” the Democratic leaders said in a joint statement. “If she invokes the motion, it will not succeed.”

The statement was issued by Representatives Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the Democratic leader; Representative Katherine M. Clark of Massachusetts, the No. 2 Democrat; and Representative Pete Aguilar of California, the chairman of the Democratic caucus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/30/us/politics/johnson-greene-jeffries-democrats.html

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They got Ukraine aid. Johnson brought it the floor knowing he was safe. 

But they don't need to save him now for Ukraine and they could have put this statement out before the vote but didn't, so I'd guess they negotiated something else they wanted out of him to make their support 'official'. Maybe something obscure or procedural in which case the odds are good we may never know what, if anything, it was.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But they don't need to save him now for Ukraine and they could have put this statement out before the vote but didn't, so I'd guess they negotiated something else they wanted out of him to make their support 'official'. Maybe something obscure or procedural in which case the odds are good we may never know what, if anything, it was.

Probably this, but another thing might also be that they know MTG and her ilk will keep lipping off and creating chaos and keeping the issue in front of voters. Also, keeping Mike Johnson firmly in his seat gives Dems plenty to campaign on this coming Fall.

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Probably this, but another thing might also be that they know MTG and her ilk will keep lipping off and creating chaos and keeping the issue in front of voters. Also, keeping Mike Johnson firmly in his seat gives Dems plenty to campaign on this coming Fall.

As I was saying ...

Yeah - there are soo many layers to this onion. Aside from all the points above, I think it is also true that while the Dems see Johnson as someone whose politics they oppose just as deeply as anyone else's, they believe he at least has the personal integrity that McCarthy lacked - so they can negotiate with him and have some confidence in his word. Given that the Freedom caucus will not support a true moderate and they haven't found any GOP House members to flip to actually take the House,  there is little chance of getting anyone better.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

What will his personal integrity be leveraged to get between now and the election?  Is it "in case of emergency" legislation only? 

I don't see much legislating happening between now and then.   At least that's historically what happens in election years. 

Jeffries is still prudent not to assume nothing important will arise. As has been noted, the rich part is that the public expression of support will just drive MTG and her wingnut caucus even more crazy, deepening the internal rifts in the GOP. It's pure bonus for the Dems when doing the right thing ends up being the politically winning thing, which it too rarely is.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think all of the above applies, with the probable exception of Democrats' admiration of Mike Johnson's integrity.

well, don't over read it. It's the overall context. Johnson doesn't need to be any kind of saint to be a far more trustworthy opponent than McCarthy - who was a total scumbag, lying to and crossing friend and foe alike with the wind direction, or even worse a diaboli like Gym Jordan whose name would be sure to come up again as potential successor.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

... they believe he at least has the personal integrity that McCarthy lacked - so they can negotiate with him and have some confidence in his word. Given that the Freedom Caucus will not support a true moderate and ... there is little chance of getting anyone better.

I think this is the crux of the matter, right here.