The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Can't remember which podcast I was listening to last week but they were talking about Pelosi and her background.  Family was a political family in Baltimore with mafia ties.  As such, she was constantly looking for a way to help someone out so she could in turn get some help when she needed it.  They pointed out an example with Ilhan Omar and Pelosi working to ensure she could wear her hijab.  So when progressives were after Pelosi, Omar never pushed like others as Pelosi had her back.  

I've heard from several past, but recent GOP reps talk about McCarthy and they seem him as nothing but a power hungry rep that has no conviction and they have no respect for.   

If true, it'll make Pelosi's straddling the edge over the last two years look like a cake walk.  

I think it was Justin Amash, a Michigan guy who most would remember I think.  He said McCarthy is one of the biggest POS he ever dealt with (and probably not the only one). Imagine that.

He was offering on Twitter to be Speaker of the House, and what he would do. That would be a hoot, but would never happen. He made too much sense.

23 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I think it was Justin Amash, a Michigan guy who most would remember I think.  He said McCarthy is one of the biggest POS he ever dealt with (and probably not the only one). Imagine that.

He was offering on Twitter to be Speaker of the House, and what he would do. That would be a hoot, but would never happen. He made too much sense.

I saw that. Between Amish and Joe Walsh (the former Congress Critter and talk show host), two Republicans I never thought I'd follow. That's how bad the party is.

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I saw that. Between Amish and Joe Walsh (the former Congress Critter and talk show host), two Republicans I never thought I'd follow. That's how bad the party is.

Been a while, but one of his bullet points was "small" bills.  That seems obvious, but that's just me.

Of course, if "they" wanted that to happen - it would.

I am still 100%, absolutely, under the belief that the new House Dems coming in should (TODAY!!!) whip their caucus and give a call to...

Steve Scalise.

Cut a deal with him. Keep the investigations to an absolute minimum...

And announce that... "100% of the incoming Democrats in Congress will vote for Steven Scalise for Speaker of the House".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kevin-mccarthy-says-democrats-could-195056960.html

I don't trust, or like McCarthy. Getting 100% Dems behind Scalise gives power to the moderate/ centrist Republicans, who have enough members to stonewall the Fascist Republican wing and the McCarthy (he and MAGA = not much difference) wing... and push Scalise into the Speakership. It would force the 118th into the center and away from partisan hackery/ incessant confrontational politics. Or... at least hopefully...

On 11/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, Screwball said:

It's funny.  I am definitely not a Libertarian and don't agree with most of the ideology, but Justin Amash was about the only congress person I liked listening to.  

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I am still 100%, absolutely, under the belief that the new House Dems coming in should (TODAY!!!) whip their caucus and give a call to...

Steve Scalise.

Cut a deal with him. Keep the investigations to an absolute minimum...

And announce that... "100% of the incoming Democrats in Congress will vote for Steven Scalise for Speaker of the House".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kevin-mccarthy-says-democrats-could-195056960.html

I don't trust, or like McCarthy. Getting 100% Dems behind Scalise gives power to the moderate/ centrist Republicans, who have enough members to stonewall the Fascist Republican wing and the McCarthy (he and MAGA = not much difference) wing... and push Scalise into the Speakership. It would force the 118th into the center and away from partisan hackery/ incessant confrontational politics. Or... at least hopefully...

PS: Raise your hands if you vote Kevin McCarthy to be second in line for the Presidency:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wanna-dress-rehearsal-next-house-002011171.html

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's funny.  I am definitely not a Libertarian and don't agree with most of the ideology, but Justin Amash was about the only congress person I liked listening to.  

Too many get hung up on an ideology and miss the bigger picture, but that's the narrative. It's easy, expected, and good politics to pigeon hole people into a corner to further the tribal warfare.  We should focus on the message and not the tribe.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: As for Dems... I think Cheney is not ideal but, would be viewed as a "fair-minded" partisan rather than a Trump or Freedom Caucus (or fascist forces) Republican... she might get more than just a few Dem votes...

Which they would immediately regret once she started chairing the Hunter Biden investigations. 😁

Didn't Cheney lose so she is out?  If so, good.  Keep her out.

If she was the SOFH there would no war we wouldn't get into, or start, and fund (since the money starts in the house). Bloodlines and history (hers) from Darth Vader himself - daddy Dick. Neo-con warmonger of the highest order.

Nothing but a tool for the killing for profit machine.

12 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Didn't Cheney lose so she is out?

some say since the Constitution doesn't explicitly say the SOTH must be a member that the House is free to elect anyone, including a non-member. The counter is that the model for what the writers would have been assuming as the default meaning would primariliy have been the English Parliament, and the speaker there is chosen from the membership.

16 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Didn't Cheney lose so she is out?  If so, good.  Keep her out.

If she was the SOFH there would no war we wouldn't get into, or start, and fund (since the money starts in the house). Bloodlines and history (hers) from Darth Vader himself - daddy Dick. Neo-con warmonger of the highest order.

Nothing but a tool for the killing for profit machine.

Dude...

I'm on board...

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

some say since the Constitution doesn't explicitly say the SOTH must be a member that the House is free to elect anyone, including a non-member. The counter is that the model for what the writers would have been assuming as the default meaning would primariliy have been the English Parliament, and the speaker there is chosen from the membership.

I know, it is possible.

Best I can tell, they could elect (not sure that's the right word) anyone.

I'll do it. Think that wouldn't be a hoot?