The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

Justin Amash has thrown his hat into the ring.

What's the downside for democrats in that scenario?  Anyone who speaks to a "return to normalcy" should consider it.  

I suspect we're looking at a different speaker by the end of this, maybe Steve Scalise.

I don't really see any downside for the Ds here... this is the GOP's mess, at least in the short term they will have to deal with it.

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

Republicans in disarray....Kevin has become a Trumpublican steer (neutered bull).

I would love to see Democrats vote against every candidate they put up. Cast votes for Kinzinger all day long

I'm OK with them proposing someone like Fred Upton - but only after multiple failed ballots and a **** ton of concessions.

This is the GOP's mess, they should have to sort it out.

• Like 1

This is being reported as if it's somehow effective, but is it?

The Freedom Caucus types whole brand is their infinite shamelessness and constant doubling down.... "taking them to the woodshed" and sick burns maybe strokes some egos, but it seems like a strategy doomed to fail.

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

His whiny voice and demeanor is not intimidating in the least.  He is not a heavy presence.  Doesn't command leadership or a presence.  He looks small.

And he's not trustworthy and they all know it, which means no-one in the mainstream of the conference likes him enough for his support from the middle to be strong enough to force the margins along. i.e the support his does have is shallow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If Gaetz and Co. really wanna stick it to Kevin M., they should totally vote "present" lolol

Them voting "present" would actually help McCarthy. The way I understand it that would be the same as abstaining. The Speaker needs a majority of voting members. Not voting would reduce the numbers of votes needed to win.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Them voting "present" would actually help McCarthy. The way I understand it that would be the same as abstaining. The Speaker needs a majority of voting members. Not voting would reduce the numbers of votes needed to win.

It would help McCarthy if there were under 5.... but if there were over 5....