The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

The calculus is that the hard core right is betting the rest of the causus would rather cave and support them than agree to any coalition with the dems. And I would say that in the end that is probably good bet. The GOP middle has already shown itself to be spineless in their handling of Trump, and the threat of being primaried if they voted for a coalition Speaker will eventually carry the day.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The crazies are in charge. The rest of the party has no spine. And the voters, for the most part, don't give a shit.

the truth is that not much usually happens legislatively in the 2nd half of a presidential term anyway. The dems control appointments and they got the budget they wanted this year - Jordan's threat of two full years of nothing but continuing resolutions will be no skin off the Democrats' noses.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

the truth is that not much usually happens legislatively in the 2nd half of a presidential term anyway. They got the budget they wanted this year - Jeffries' threat of two full years of nothing but continuing resolutions will be no skin off the Democrats' noses.

If anything maybe two years of having Jefferies front and center for the Democrats might give Dems a tru successor to Biden if he decides not to run.

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

If anything maybe two years of having Jefferies front and center for the Democrats might give Dems a tru successor to Biden if he decides not to run.

and again, the GOP would much rather run against the size of a budget than acutally cut one, so they don't *really* care either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah, it's way too early for that.

It's going to take at least a couple weeks of this dysfunction before the Scalise/ Upton rumors have any chance of gaining legs...

When does the current budget run out of money and the country declares bankrupcy?

Of Course the usual suspects will blame Biden even though the Congress controls the purse strings

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

When does the current budget run out of money and the country declares bankrupcy?

Of Course the usual suspects will blame Biden even though the Congress controls the purse strings

The budget is this September. That's what the $1.7 Trill bought: time.

I'm not certain when the debt limit comes up. That will certainly be a major push on the Pubs to get their shit together.

Just now, oblong said:

Scalise is now talking and somehow blaming Democrats.

He' supposed to be more moderate than McCarthy, and more willing to work on legislature/ etc. with Dems.

I don't know how true that is in reality.

I'm certain any speeches he gives are more performative than legislative impact...

I just don't know by how much...