The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

If someone else prevails does MK stay Majority Leader?

A couple of people have predicted that if McCarthy loses the Speakership he resigns shortly there-after. But this is a guy who in his dealings with Trump has demonstarted so little self-respect that I find that hard to predict.

I suppose if a compromise speaker backed by more Dems then GOPs  is the end result, McCarthy could still end up as majority leader since the majority of his caucus would have opposed the Speakership. Otherwise it seems not.

Edited by gehringer_2

If I'm a Dem, here's what I'm negotiating for in order to gain my vote:

1) A full fledged ethics committee including reviews of the Reps who ignored Jan 6th subpoenas. McCarthy has agreed with the Fascist Caucus to strip this committee down to nothing. Of course he did. He's included. This is my starting point and non-negotiable. Could be a deal-killer. But I start out with a tough position, not a weak hand.

2) A full House majority vote on any investigations. Committee's can recommend, but the full House must vote. On the Afghanistan withdrawal? Yes, even some Dems. On Hunter Biden's laptop or investigating Mayorkas... have to hope enough Pubs believe this would be a ridiculous waste of time that they come to their senses and a full House votes this down. And if the House has gone a Consensus Speaker... that the Pubs will be a little sensitive to pulling stupid moves like that... because Dems could always pull support at a future date.

3) No way do I agree to 1 Rep being able to no-confidence the Speaker. Especially with a consensus Speaker... either a majority of a full House required to no-confidence or if that won't fly, then a non-1 minimum, say 11 or even better, 31 required to initiate a no-confidence. That would cut out the "performance" BS that a Boebert, MTG, or Jordan or similar would try to pull. 31 = at least a significant minority with an issue with the Speaker and at least a reasonable basis to go this route...

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If I'm a Dem, here's what I'm negotiating for in order to gain my vote:

1) A full fledged ethics committee including reviews of the Reps who ignored Jan 6th subpoenas. McCarthy has agreed with the Fascist Caucus to strip this committee down to nothing. Of course he did. He's included. This is my starting point and non-negotiable. Could be a deal-killer. But I start out with a tough position, not a weak hand.

2) A full House majority vote on any investigations. Committee's can recommend, but the full House must vote. On the Afghanistan withdrawal? Yes, even some Dems. On Hunter Biden's laptop or investigating Mayorkas... have to hope enough Pubs believe this would be a ridiculous waste of time that they come to their senses and a full House votes this down. And if the House has gone a Consensus Speaker... that the Pubs will be a little sensitive to pulling stupid moves like that... because Dems could always pull support at a future date.

3) No way do I agree to 1 Rep being able to no-confidence the Speaker. Especially with a consensus Speaker... either a majority of a full House required to no-confidence or if that won't fly, then a non-1 minimum, say 11 or even better, 31 required to initiate a no-confidence. That would cut out the "performance" BS that a Boebert, MTG, or Jordan or similar would try to pull. 31 = at least a significant minority with an issue with the Speaker and at least a reasonable basis to go this route...

I like this list.   I would like to see the Jan 6 committee continued.   

I dont think they should include any subpoena power in their demands because the Dems should just ignore subpoenas. 

8 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They should ask for the Sun, Moon, Stars and that a certain former POTUS (who lost) never be allowed to even visit the White House

For now I can't see the Dems dealing with McCarthy - he is just too untrustworthy and agreement with him would be worthless. Heck, that's a good part of the reason he is where he is. If McCarthy steps aside maybe another GOPer.

OTOH - there is a danger the Dems overplay their hand. If they are offered a reseasonable deal and hold out for more, the risk is the GOP gets it act together and they get nothing. 

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OTOH - there is a danger the Dems overplay their hand. If they are offered a reseasonable deal and hold out for more, the risk is the GOP gets it act together and they get nothing. 

I kind of agree with this, although I still think we're a Scalise nomination away from them seeking Dem votes. We're still a ways away, although it's fair to ask whether it's easier for someone to get there with D votes over the 20 or so insurgents.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Rep Don Bacon on the air saying the GOP is willing to work with the Dems (i.e. make concession to them) to end this.

Immediately contradicted by Brenden Buck, although I think he's a little too closed to the idea that Democrats may be the only way out of this.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Rep Don Bacon on the air saying the GOP is willing to work with the Dems (i.e. make concession to them) to end this.

To elect Jefferies I assume.

Otherwise what does the GOP have to offer the Dems?  Assignments?  Non Assignments?  Jan 6 continues? 

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Why should the Democrats compromise when the GOP has been the party of NO WAY for the last two Dem Administrations? 

How is a 'compromise' bad if it nets you something you don't have today?  The Dems are playing with House money (yeah- the pun works here). Anything they walk away with in a negotiation is pure profit. It's hugely in their interest for the gov not to shut down and for budgets to get passed in Biden's last two years.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

To elect Jefferies I assume.

Otherwise what does the GOP have to offer the Dems?  Assignments?  Non Assignments?  Jan 6 continues? 

I posted up thread last that one Dem spokesRep said the Dem opening position is no games on debt service or budget passage and no investigative fishing expeditions. Those are not low value gains for the Biden admin and so the Dems in general.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I posted up thread last that one Dem spokesRep said the Dem opening position is no games on debt service or budget passage and no investigative fishing expeditions. Those are not low value gains for the Biden admin and so the Dems in general.

I don't trust the insurrection conference. They need to actually do something to prove they're sincere. 

Just now, CMRivdogs said:

I don't trust the insurrection conference. They need to actually do something to prove they're sincere. 

No question trust is the issue and why I don't see the Dems being in any hurry to accept offer from McCarthy's camp. I think it would have to be from someone they trust more.