The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

At this point it might be easier to tell the 20 or so Never Kevin's that they can forget about any assignments and perks and their offices have been moved to Alexandria or Woodbridge.

Not that easy though. That would take Dem support and 1)the Dems may or may not offer it 2) if you can't get a large % of the GOP members on board (and even if you do) any GOP rep that goes against the FC block is going to be threatened with a primary run against him.

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

To elect Jefferies I assume.

Otherwise what does the GOP have to offer the Dems?  Assignments?  Non Assignments?  Jan 6 continues? 

No way will it be Jefferies, it'll be a consensus GOP Speaker.

What can Dems get? Assignments? yes. Jan 6 continues? no. Ethics committee review of subpoena-refuseniks (McCarthy, Jordan, etc...) YES!!! (but highly unlikely). Shutting out the Fascist Caucus because of a consensus Speaker when it comes to raising the debt limit...? Yes. Plus other stuff if they're smart negotiators...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not that easy though. That would take Dem support and 1)the Dems may or may not offer it 2) if you can't get a large % of the GOP members on board (and even if you do) any GOP rep that goes against the FC block is going to be threatened with a primary run against him.

I know. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess that's what we get for not electing grownups. The whole class suffers

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I guess I'm radical enough to believe the 20 insurrectionists should face some retribution for holding the country hostage. Also realizing that Republicans have been doing basically the same thing for years when they were not the majority.

ex Rep Jolly made a good point on MSNBC though. Just because McCarthy has the majority, even a large one, of the caucus, doesn't mean he in someway 'deserves' the speakership. You need 218 and he doesn't have them. Many other members might be able to find a majority but not 218. What is really going on is that the caucus is so devoid of internal leadership and maturity, that they are stuck hammering their heads against the wall between two bad alternatives instead of working up the internal negotiation process needed to get to the needed consensus. You can say the 20 are being intransigent, but so is McCarthy's refusal open the door to a different candidacy and sitting through repeated unproductive votes where he isn't moving the process at all either.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1