The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Remember what they say, if you don't succeed the first time, try at least 8 more times, even if you show no improvement whatsoever.

when I bought my first house, the previous owner left a poster on the wall in the rec room. It was a pic of W.C. Fields with the caption:

"If at first your don't succeed, try, try again. 

....Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."

Very appropos.

At the end of the day I guess I blame McCarthy.  He knows he doesn’t have the votes.  Those 20 members, despite their motivations, are entitled to vote for the speaker they wish.  He’s the one who is making this foolish now.  They stood their ground. It’s time for the GOP to accept reality and come up with a solution. 

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

At the end of the day I guess I blame McCarthy.  He knows he doesn’t have the votes.  Those 20 members, despite their motivations, are entitled to vote for the speaker they wish.  He’s the one who is making this foolish now.  They stood their ground. It’s time for the GOP to accept reality and come up with a solution. 

Agree on one level, but OTOH, like I noted before, the real problem is lack of leadership inside the GOP conference to tell him to end it, or even organize additional votes against him to make the point to him. McCarthy is acting puerile, but it's also true that he is being enabled by the rest of them.

59 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I throw a liiiiiiitle bit of blame the Democrats way in the fact that there hasn't been a coalition candidate put forward yet.

It takes to to tango. One would expect the so called majority party to stop dissing the opposition and make the first move in a matter like this. However the two factions of the Party of Irresponsibility seems deeply entrenched in wanting to elect McCarthy or die trying.

Can't rule out attrition, one GOP a member is out tomorrow for surgery, another's wife had a baby this week and he's potentially no going to be around. Democrats seem happy just to put up Jefferies (who keeps getting the overall plurality).

Bottom line from this partisan, one party has no real desire to govern. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I throw a liiiiiiitle bit of blame the Democrats way in the fact that there hasn't been a coalition candidate put forward yet.

I think we both know that isn't going to happen until there are members of the majority party who show real interest in a coalition Speaker.

Outside of maaaybe Don Bacon, not sure I've heard a single member of the majority party express interest up until now.

If they can't get a Speaker, no monetary things can happen, so they don't get paid. If this goes on long enough, maybe they all get pissed off and go home. We can pick names out of a phone book to replace them and be better off.

Win

OK, I've had a few beers and a doobie (thanks Michigan) so I'm only half kidding.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

First they had a breakthrough, now they're pushing to adjourn. 

Sounds like they still don't have the votes lol

And the McCarthy clique keeps putting out that they are "this close!" while yet admitting they still can't get to 218 (that's 'phase two') and while the votes show they aren't actually moving anyone.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

If the other party wants to bang their own head against a wall 11+ times in a row, I think you should have some padding in hand, but I would wait for them to ask for it. This fiasco does nothing but harm the GOP.

The compromise candidate would probably have to be an R anyway. Though Upton is probably more appealing to Ds now that Trump opened his fat mouth.

14 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I learned something about your Constitution this month.  You could actually elect a Speaker of the House who is not currently an elected member.  That is unbelievable.

To bring in someone from the outside would in a way actually be closer to the UK model where the Speaker of the House of Commons renounces his party affiliation when he is elected. I've always wondered how the people in the district he stands in for the next election feel about that.

Edited by gehringer_2

42 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The compromise candidate would probably have to be an R anyway. Though Upton is probably more appealing to Ds now that Trump opened his fat mouth.

The compromise candidate has to be a Republican, and if we are being completely honest, it would have to be put forward by a Republican as well.

The moment a Democrat formally advances a candidate while McCarthy is maintaining his current share, that candidate would become politically radioactive imo. 

• Like 1