The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

7 hours ago, Screwball said:

If they can't get a Speaker, no monetary things can happen, so they don't get paid. If this goes on long enough, maybe they all get pissed off and go home. We can pick names out of a phone book to replace them and be better off.

Win

OK, I've had a few beers and a doobie (thanks Michigan) so I'm only half kidding.

I don't normally dig the nihilism but sometimes it's just appropriate.

Today should tell a lot... if McCarthy can't get there after putting the deals down on paper...

And one of the flaws of McCarthy's line of thinking is that the pressure should rachet up on the remaining holdouts if he wins some votes back today. I wouldn't make that bet, the hardcore holdouts (ie. Goetz, Boebert) are shameless. You can't negotiate with that. 

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Today should tell a lot... if McCarthy can't get there after putting the deals down on paper...

And one of the flaws of McCarthy's line of thinking is that the pressure should rachet up on the remaining holdouts if he wins some votes back today. I wouldn't make that bet, the hardcore holdouts (ie. Goetz, Boebert) are shameless. You can't negotiate with that. 

The RNC should expel the holdouts from the party.  Tell them they can't caucus with the Republicans.  

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The RNC should expel the holdouts from the party.  Tell them they can't caucus with the Republicans.  

They aren't going to give up their majority.

If the rest of the caucus are embarrassed, they need to figure out a way to isolate them. This happens all the time at the state level, in Texas, Speakers have been elected for years with Democratic votes. That will be happening in Ohio this upcoming year, Pennsylvania will have a coalition government, Alaska, etc.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Enough talk, Don... time to put forward an alternative.

What evidence is there to show that the GOP in the House will get pummeled in 2024 if this keeps up? If Trump is on the ballot, the data shows us that the GOP actually over preforms in the House relative to expectations. 2020 and 2016 are both examples of this. People have very short memories, this will be yesterdays news come election time 2024.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What evidence is there to show that the GOP in the House will get pummeled in 2024 if this keeps up? If Trump is on the ballot, the data shows us that the GOP actually over preforms in the House relative to expectations. 2020 and 2016 are both examples of this. People have very short memories, this will be yesterdays news come election time 2024.

Bacon's comment likely reflects his own district some - the district (essentially Omaha) gave Biden an EC vote in 2020. And the possibly the only reason he was reelected in that year was that the nominee wasn't good and was a little too far to the left of the median voter.

But the other part of this is that, along with Bacon's district, there are about 15 other districts that voted for Biden in 2020 where Rs represent. Chaos in the US House of Representatives comes with a lot of peril for those districts and, by extension, the GOP majority - flipping just a handful of these districts would flip the House.

I do think it's a fair point to point out that overperformance, but past isn't necessarily prologue and guys like Bacon or Fitzpatrick aren't necessarily going to be feel comforted by that either.

Edited by mtutiger

34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

People have very short memories, this will be yesterdays news come election time 2024.

The other comment here - people thought January 6th would be yesterday's news come election time 2022 and yet it ended up being a bigger factor than people realized.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The other comment here - people thought January 6th would be yesterday's news come election time 2022 and yet it ended up being a bigger factor than people realized.

Yeah, the 20 are in the bubble.  Nobody is cheering these 20 idiots on.  

FYI, Season 11 is about to start on CSPAN.  No idea if they are going to follow the same writing that has made Seasons 1-10 so enjoyable or if they are going to try something different.  Either way, get the popcorn out and remember what they say, 11th time's a charm.

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wonder how many of those people collect Unemployment, Welfare, Disability, Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid  Bet the percentage is much higher than everyone else

My guess is they will maintain that they paid into Unemployment, paid into Welfare, paid into Disability, paid into Social Security, and paid into both Medicare and Medicaid, so goddamn right they collect it, and they should because they deserve it, and those people don't, because those people probably never paid into it, because how can you do that when you're born in Mexico or wherever it is those people came from.

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My guess is they will maintain that they paid into Unemployment, paid into Welfare, paid into Disability, paid into Social Security, and paid into both Medicare and Medicaid, so goddamn right they collect it, and they should because they deserve it, and those people don't, because those people probably never paid into it, because how can you do that when you're born in Mexico or wherever it is those people came from.

That's why Regan wanted to get them working legally (even as non citizens) and collecting taxes on them so they were paying into the system,   that crazy liberal.