The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course that wouldn't go anywhere in the end because the GOP would just turn around and remove him, but it would be one more example of chaos brought to you courtesy of the US GOP.

In this instance (unlikely as it is), how would they remove him when they cannot even agree on a consensus candidate?

Just now, oblong said:

the votes as of now are non binding.... they can change their mind.  But that would also be chaos and why would any defectors participate?

Bet the under...

It's crass, but people need to stop thinking about the anti-McCarthy wing as conventional politicians and more like the political version of suicide bombers. They do not care, they aren't likely to be ground down or wore down because they do not care.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Beware of Stefanik....she may be the dark horse.

I'm probably wrong but it could happen

I would think the conference would trust her even less than McCarthy. Of course that's the rub with this GOP. They've driven every honorable person away and all the choices are bad.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know whether this has already been discussed here, so apologies if it has, but what would be the practical implications of a Democrat like Hakeem Jeffries presiding as Speaker of the House over a Republican-majority Congress?

The biggest one would be the instability. Don't see how it could be workable. TBH, the odds are still that McCarthy is going to win through after giving away every shred of the leverages he will need to stay in the job more than temporarily. And then there will be more disarray. I have a hard time seeing any stable Speakership emerging from the present mess unless it's someone like Amash, where no-one likes his politics but everyone trusts his integrity. But I think the only way a left field candidacy happens is a LOT of fast leg work by the Dems to drive it and at this point I don't even see why the Dems would be willing - why not just let the GOP continue to self-immolate? I could see Biden wanting things settled down into some workable order, but the House Dems themselves? Not sure if they would see it as in their interest or not. 

But we're all just spitballing

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, the odds are still that McCarthy is going to win through after giving away every shred of the leverages he will need to stay in the job more than temporarily.

I think he's under a 50% chance at this point tbh.

Theres not much left he can give up, He's already given up the store and still can't get the necessary votes.

I think it's gonna be Scalise

Edited by mtutiger