The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Them voting "present" would actually help McCarthy. The way I understand it that would be the same as abstaining. The Speaker needs a majority of voting members. Not voting would reduce the numbers of votes needed to win.

So if he gets 10 Republican "presents" and 212 votes and Jeffries gets 213 then the Jeffries wins, right?

At a certain point, "present" votes don't help him.

In fact, any Republican "present" votes do NOT help him... only Dem "present" votes.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So if he gets 10 Republican "presents" and 212 votes and Jeffries gets 213 then the Jeffries wins, right?

At a certain point, "present" votes don't help him.

In fact, any Republican "present" votes do NOT help him... only Dem "present" votes.

The way I understand Steve Kornacki's explanation, yes

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wonder if any of these votes are symbolic and on ballot 2 they revert to Comrade McKarthy?

Is that lady going to have to do this all day and night?

I think Kornacki's scenario where a lot of the GOP defectors abstain on the 2nd ballot but lack of coordination ends up giving Jeffries a majority of those voting is as likely as anything. Of course that wouldn't go anywhere in the end because the GOP would just turn around and remove him, but it would be one more example of chaos brought to you courtesy of the US GOP.