2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

4 hours ago, buddha said:

and then we take gradey!

because any plan that has us drafting him and having del wear a jersey with the word d*ck on it is worth the price.

There would be a whole crew wearing those jerseys... they'd be known as...

The D*ck Squad.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2023 at 11:55 PM, Deleterious said:

Ausar cancelled his scheduled workout with Indiana. Speculation he has a promise from a top six team.

I'm seeing Orlando as the team. They were super high on Amen and there were rumors that they were going to try to trade up to get him. That probably fell through and they like Ausar almost as much.

Yeah Orlando does seem like the likely fit but what if Monty really likes him and he uses his pull to sway the PIstons? I mean we were never really linked to him in the earlier stages then we hire Monty and suddenly this news comes out that he likely has a promise from a top 6 team. Just a coincidence I hope cause I'd rather have Whitmore or Hendricks. 

I think the Orlando smoke might be real, but another interesting option is that he doesn't like the fit in Indy who already have their backcourt. There's a lot of talk that Ausar should have the ball in his hands, which is more likely in Washington who's about to trade Beal.

41 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Asuar is my guy at 5 if Scoot, Miller, Amen, and Victor go top 4.  Hendricks would be fine as well but I am a heavy Asuar lean.

I' wouldn't hate the pick, his shooting is the obvious question mark but you atleast know you will get elite athleticism and likely great defense with him so even if his shot never pans out he should still be a useful player. Would you take him over Miller if he were to drop to us?

Interesting how people want to talk about Scoot "in shoes" now to make him seem taller, but most other candidates are talked about barefoot.

The kid is 6'2". If we want to start adding two inches to everyone to put them in shoes then a lot of players look a lot different. Whitmore, the Thompsons, and Walker are now 6'8". Hendricks is now 6'10". A 6'6" Jaden Ivey sounds even better than that 6'4" version we have.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I' wouldn't hate the pick, his shooting is the obvious question mark but you atleast know you will get elite athleticism and likely great defense with him so even if his shot never pans out he should still be a useful player. Would you take him over Miller if he were to drop to us?

Miller is not on my radar at 5. Not a fan.

Just now, Deleterious said:

Miller is not on my radar at 5. Not a fan.

Yeah I knew you weren't before but I thought you may have had a change of heart when you brought him up being picked ahead of us. I like his overall scouting report but I still think back to the numbers you brought up months ago about how he fared down the stretch and against better competition and that worries me alot probably more than his off the court stuff. 

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I knew you weren't before but I thought you may have had a change of heart when you brought him up being picked ahead of us. I like his overall scouting report but I still think back to the numbers you brought up months ago about how he fared down the stretch and against better competition and that worries me alot probably more than his off the court stuff. 

I would also take Hendricks over Miller.  Slightly better shooter and far better defender.  

31 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

When they play barefoot I will stop talking about his height in shoes.

Then they should measure them all in shoes. But they don't. Because shoe heights vary so it's not an accurate comparison.

Scoot isn't suddenly 2" closer in height to all these other guards because we decided that he's the only one we're going to talk about in shoes to fit our narrative.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Then they should measure them all in shoes. But they don't. Because shoe heights vary so it's not an accurate comparison.

Scoot isn't suddenly 2" closer in height to all these other guards because we decided that he's the only one we're going to talk about in shoes to fit our narrative.

How much different can shoe heights be?  Is someone out there in high heel high tops?

1 minute ago, casimir said:

How much different can shoe heights be?  Is someone out there in high heel high tops?

As a former marathon runner, I can tell you that it can be a huge difference. I wear Hoka which have a very thick sole and my wife wears Ons, which have almost no sole. You're talking an inch or more difference. Guys looking to get an advantage and seem larger for their position would absolutely take their measurements in taller shoes. Big men looking to get away from the 7' stigma that now exists in the NBA would measure in the slimmer ones.

That's why they take the combine measurements barefoot, so we can all compare apples to apples. And that's why we should compare apples to apples.

22 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The Marcus Smart measurement is in shoes.  I am looking at his combine measurements right now.  6'2" bare foot.  6'3.25" in shoes.  So yes, comparing him to Scoot in shoes is perfectly fine.

It’s a solid comparison simply because both guys are going to cap out as fringe all stars and neither guy is leading a team to a championship 😁

Eric Bledsoe is another good comp. 

29 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

As a former marathon runner, I can tell you that it can be a huge difference. I wear Hoka which have a very thick sole and my wife wears Ons, which have almost no sole. You're talking an inch or more difference. Guys looking to get an advantage and seem larger for their position would absolutely take their measurements in taller shoes. Big men looking to get away from the 7' stigma that now exists in the NBA would measure in the slimmer ones.

That's why they take the combine measurements barefoot, so we can all compare apples to apples. And that's why we should compare apples to apples.

I can fix this.

Everybody in Chucks going forward.  Mandatory.

• Haha 1

Yeah it isn't much but depending on the shoes you could get .5 to inch taller than a different pair. 

Also I don't think alot of people know but your height can decrease by .5 to 3/4 of an inch from the time you wake up till the time you go to bed due to gravity compacting your spine. That number is for an average height person for people like basketball players that are well over 6' it could be more drastic so if you get measured early in the morning vs. late afternoon it can make a difference as well. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

YouTube link below - and it's a great listen - but here's the result of Sam Vecenie being forced to put guys into 4 categories with a fixed number of slots based upon historical draft results for the decade prior:

r/NBA_Draft - Sam Vecenie Ranking the last 3 draft lottery including the 2023 draft

Sam really struggled with this. He wanted Duren in the Starter column and Hendricks vs Black was a huge struggle for him as well.