2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

If Phoenix does move on from Ayton, could they be tricked into taking one of the Piston talls?

Probably not.  They are over the luxury tax with just KD, Booker, Beal, and Ayton.  So if they move Ayton it will have to be for multiple guys to build depth.  Wiseman and Bagley both make $12M this year so that is too expensive for Phoenix.  And we didn't even get into the fact both of those guys suck.

24 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Probably not.  They are over the luxury tax with just KD, Booker, Beal, and Ayton.  So if they move Ayton it will have to be for multiple guys to build depth.  Wiseman and Bagley both make $12M this year so that is too expensive for Phoenix.  And we didn't even get into the fact both of those guys suck.

You're thinking about it rationally.  Can they pull the wool over Isaiah Thomas?

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Anything noteworthy for those of us who aren't subscribers?

He has Ausar, Amen, Whitmore, Walker, and Hendricks as his top 5 in that order.

Good chance they trade #5.

The guys he thinks that are in play at 31:

Marcus Sasser, G, Houston

Andre Jackson, W, Connecticut

Julian Phillips, W, Tennessee

Max Lewis, W, Pepperdine

Dariq Whitehead, W, Duke

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

He has Ausar, Amen, Whitmore, Walker, and Hendricks as his top 5 in that order.

Good chance they trade #5.

The guys he thinks that are in play at 31:

Marcus Sasser, G, Houston

Andre Jackson, W, Connecticut

Julian Phillips, W, Tennessee

Max Lewis, W, Pepperdine

Dariq Whitehead, W, Duke

Interesting that he sees it as a "good chance" that they trade 5. I would always bet against a trade down this high up in the draft because they rarely happen but if Amen drops to 5, that should create some buzz around the pick. It's starting to look like Ausar is likely the pick. Not sure how I feel about that, would be a pure upside play.

I'd love any of those guys at 31. I think Sasser in particular is being really undervalued.

Edited by NYLion

If we stay at 5 Im starting to lean towards Ausar as my favorite. First off I love how upside and think he would fit in well with Cade and Ivey.

I also think that he can help the team from day 1 with his defense and even if the shot never pans out the defense and athleticism would still make him an asset for us. 

I'm ignorant on basketball knowledge compared to most here in the forum. But everything I read online about Gradey D. and everything I watch highlight wise makes me feel like he's Luke Kennard 2.0. Am I wrong in thinking this? How his Gradey different that Luke? As a reviewer on SB Nation put it he doesn't seem to have elite athleticism, a quick first step, length, great ball-handling skills , be an elite passer, or have the ability to draw fouls. He seems like a very talented spot shooter, who doesn't create his own shots, offering little else. How is that not Kennard 2.0?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm ignorant on basketball knowledge compared to most here in the forum. But everything I read online about Gradey D. and everything I watch highlight wise makes me feel like he's Luke Kennard 2.0. Am I wrong in thinking this? How his Gradey different that Luke? As a reviewer on SB Nation put it he doesn't seem to have elite athleticism, a quick first step, length, great ball-handling skills , be an elite passer, or have the ability to draw fouls. He seems like a very talented spot shooter, who doesn't create his own shots, offering little else. How is that not Kennard 2.0?

D*ck is a little taller with a little better wingspan. Also, you hope he isn't injured all the time. But you're right, I see the same thing. Luke Kennard led the NBA in 3 point percentage last year but you couldn't keep him on the court because he was such a liability on defense, especially in the playoffs.

If you watch D*ck's college games you can see how he was hunted on defense as well. I think there's a place for him in the NBA, but I'm not sure about the ceiling as a starter, particularly in the playoffs where teams hunt mismatches. I'm also not sure about him on the Pistons who can't afford to have any more poor defenders and don't have the type of star gravity that would get him open shots all day.

There's certainly a point where you take him because of the elite shooting, but I'm not reaching for D*ck 🙂

Vecenie has Detroit still taking Ausar but unfortunately says Whitmore is still a possibility.  

He has Leonard going 23rd which is criminal.  

He has OKC getting Bufkin at 12.  Might as well just pencil him in first team rookie.

Emoni Bates is not mocked in the top 60.  Going the free agent route might work out better for him anyway.