Rule V Draft

Tiger337

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I would find it frustrating if they went with a pitcher.... especially given all of the concerns on the position player side, they should have room to carry another position player.

Now.... pass the cocktail weenies.

I'm not certain this guy qualifies as "controlling the strike zone".

The player/ pitching position don't bother me (very high K-guy, Lefty, looks electric at first glance but, also... that career 4.9 BB's/ 9 and 5.7 in AA (best level last year) in 2022?)

It's the Rule IIII draft, and we're picking VI-th, not 1st base so... I'll take whatever we can get

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Senor Smoke Jr?

I would be perfectly fine with that... take whatever you can get out of the Rule V and we're starting in the 6th spot so... whatever.

He does need to cut down those walks however.

Typical old school (meaning... "good Dave Dombrowski pick there") Tigers lottery ticket however...

From Fangraphs Top Rangers prospect list

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/texas-rangers-top-50-prospects-2022/

22. Mason Englert, SP

Drafted: 4th Round, 2018 from Forney HS (TX) (TEX)
Age 22.6 Height 6′ 4″ Weight 206 Bat / Thr S / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Sits/Tops
40/40 50/50 45/45 50/55 35/55 90-93 / 95

Englert doesn’t have electrifying stuff, but he has a bevy of viable (mostly east/west operating) pitches and surprisingly advanced command for someone who didn’t pitch at a pro affiliate until almost three years after he signed due to a TJ and the pandemic. Englert has efficiently thwarted A-ball hitters to the tune of a 27% K%, a 7.5% walk rate and a FIP close to 3.70 throughout each of the last two seasons, and is in position for a promotion to Double-A (or perhaps a Fall League assignment) as a way of stress-testing his fringe stuff against better hitters ahead of a potential 40-man addition. Englert splits the plate with his tailing sinker and sweeping slider, he can change speeds off of those with his changeup and curveball, and he will occasionally run his fastball up the ladder for whiffs. He has a high floor, and is very likely to play some kind of medium-impact role on a big league staff. The backend starter/swingman fit feels most likely, though Englert’s style of pitching brings Paul Sewald to mind.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Minor league phase, I'm a bit behind, but listening on a slight delay.

Tigers first pick was Layne Henderson, reliever in the Astros system.

Dane Myers was just popped by the Marlins.

Tigers can make three more picks if they choose.

What is our responsibility for players picked in the minor league phase? Is it any different from signing them to a minor league contract, in terms of roster spot guarantee or anything else?

1 hour ago, TJ Rollercoaster said:

From Fangraphs Top Rangers prospect list

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/texas-rangers-top-50-prospects-2022/

22. Mason Englert, SP

Drafted: 4th Round, 2018 from Forney HS (TX) (TEX)
Age 22.6 Height 6′ 4″ Weight 206 Bat / Thr S / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Sits/Tops
40/40 50/50 45/45 50/55 35/55 90-93 / 95

Englert doesn’t have electrifying stuff, but he has a bevy of viable (mostly east/west operating) pitches and surprisingly advanced command for someone who didn’t pitch at a pro affiliate until almost three years after he signed due to a TJ and the pandemic. Englert has efficiently thwarted A-ball hitters to the tune of a 27% K%, a 7.5% walk rate and a FIP close to 3.70 throughout each of the last two seasons, and is in position for a promotion to Double-A (or perhaps a Fall League assignment) as a way of stress-testing his fringe stuff against better hitters ahead of a potential 40-man addition. Englert splits the plate with his tailing sinker and sweeping slider, he can change speeds off of those with his changeup and curveball, and he will occasionally run his fastball up the ladder for whiffs. He has a high floor, and is very likely to play some kind of medium-impact role on a big league staff. The backend starter/swingman fit feels most likely, though Englert’s style of pitching brings Paul Sewald to mind.

They have his fastball at 40 but it improved after a mid season tweak, hitting 96. He also has a very high release point, causing his fb to play up. His change is probably his best pitch, but the slider was flashing plus late. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

It says: "Forbidden.  You do not have permission to view this resource."  It must be really nasty.    

That's interesting.  Its a picture of a holiday style Pabst Blue Ribbon sweater.  I can see the picture in my post and quoted in your response.  When I click on the picture in my original post, it brings up the sweater in another window.  When I click on the picture in your post, I get that forbidden message you are referring to.