Week Fourteen: Minnesota Vikings (10-2) @ Detroit Lions (5-7)

MichiganCardinal

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agree, I hope his inexperience keeps him hear another year. Coaching, like playing together takes awhile to gel. Regardless of the season ending this foundation has a some cornerstones to build on.

I hope he’s a bad interviewer and has a stupid petty criminal history that keeps him as mystifyingly “unhirable” as Eric Bienemy.

• Haha 2

I was curious what the defensive comparison over the last five games would look like, and while I couldn't find a website that would sort in that manner, teamrankings.com adds a Last 3 Games column for all of their team stats, so here's what those numbers look like (minus red-zone efficiency):

Points Allowed
DET: 20.0
MIN: 29.3

Total Defense
DET: 360
MIN: 398

Rushing Defense
DET: 116.0
MIN: 105.3

Passing Defense
DET: 244.0
MIN: 347.7

3rd Down Defense %
DET: 40.54
MIN: 41.86

Takeaways:
DET: 5
MIN: 2

I calculated points allowed for the last 5 games, because that's easy:

DET: 19.8
MIN: 27.0

I have to hand it to Dan Campbell and the coaching staff, both Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson. This season looked like it was going off the rails early and they kept the ship afloat ad got us to 5-7. If we want to be a serious threat for the playoffs and make a statement to the rest of the NFC then going out and winning this game over a 10-2 Vikings team would go a long way. I am excited to see how much Williams finally gets integrated into this offense now that he's ben practicing for a couple of weeks and has a week of playing time under his belt. This should be a fun matchup, with hopefully better coaching and a different result than their first meeting.

im really impressed by campbell.  every time he makes a change to the staff the team gets better.  he's gotten more conservative with his 4th downs as the defense has improved and he doesnt see the necessity of scoring 7 each time or else they'll lose.

he's adapting and learning.  he's a smart guy.  easily the best head coach ive seen here in a long time.  maybe ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're also seeing fewer fakes from special teams and fewer onside kicks. Should also note that the Lions 3rd down conversion percentage is 8 points higher this year than last year. They are finding themselves in fewer 4th down situations. Dan Campbell is smarter than people give him credit for. He has all the meathead football speeches but he knows what he's doing.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

We're also seeing fewer fakes from special teams and fewer onside kicks. Should also note that the Lions 3rd down conversion percentage is 8 points higher this year than last year. They are finding themselves in fewer 4th down situations. Dan Campbell is smarter than people give him credit for. He has all the meathead football speeches but he knows what he's doing.

There's been several comments I've seen from insiders (even players and coaches IIRC...) who are stating that Campbell is a whole helluva lot smarter than people think... I think there was an Atlantic article on all the adjustments Ben Johnson AND Campbell made when they took over the offense... and a LOT of it was Campbell. And there were those types of comments in that article coming from multiple sources...

As a general statement on Campbell... I think we are seeing that play out right in front of our eyes...

3 hours ago, buddha said:

im really impressed by campbell.  every time he makes a change to the staff the team gets better.  he's gotten more conservative with his 4th downs as the defense has improved and he doesnt see the necessity of scoring 7 each time or else they'll lose.

he's adapting and learning.  he's a smart guy.  easily the best head coach ive seen here in a long time.  maybe ever.

I would say Schwartz was one of the smartest guys in the room...

But not a good manager of emotions and the team...

• Like 2