Week Fourteen: Minnesota Vikings (10-2) @ Detroit Lions (5-7)

MichiganCardinal

I love the optimism, I really do.... but let's not forget this a very young team, with a lot of players who are outperforming their abilities by a clear margin.

They're playing a good team tomorrow. You don't go 10-2 if you're not a good team. And good teams tend to play really good when they've heard that they're not good for a whole week.

If they do lose tomorrow, it may just be losing to a better team, rather than SOL.

32 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I love the optimism, I really do.... but let's not forget this a very young team, with a lot of players who are outperforming their abilities by a clear margin.

They're playing a good team tomorrow. You don't go 10-2 if you're not a good team. And good teams tend to play really good when they've heard that they're not good for a whole week.

If they do lose tomorrow, it may just be losing to a better team, rather than SOL.

Yeah, this as all the markings to me of a Lions team coming in and playing really tight because they are looking at this as a chance to prove they below and just not being comfortable or playing well.  I hope I'm wrong.  I hope that Campbell and Co. are hammering that this is a chance to go and steal one.  They're playing a 10-2 team so no one is expecting a win despite what the media says.  A 5-7 team shouldn't be expected to beat a 10-2 team.  Just go out and play your best and if they steal one... that's fantastic.  If they don't... come back with fire next year.

I got over my SOL thoughts last week.  This Vikings team might be one of the worst 10-2 teams in NFL history.   The Lion defense is going to be all over their average OL.   Don’t get me started on their dogshit defense.  Need to keep Cook from breaking a long one but I really like us to crush these fools.   

Edited by Hongbit

I despise the "SOL" criers more than possibly anything else in the sports world. Not necessarily everyone who uses it in nomenclature. We all know what it means and it feels like a thing. I just can't stand people that you never hear from or see from on a day-to-day basis that pop out from the woodwork after a tough loss with their "SOL har-dee-har" BS, but that you know will be claiming how they've been a fan since birth, and stuck with them through it all, when we ever win something meaningful.

It's taking nonsense like the curse of Bobby Layne and using it to throw in the face of die-hard fans every time we lose a close or heartbreaking game. There is nothing same-old left of these 2022 Lions. Down to the ownership installed in 2020 (notwithstanding the last name and genes she inherited from arguably the worst owner in professional sports history). Even the half-century of ineptitude suffered at his hands wasn't because we were the Lions, it was because we had a terrible owner who hired terrible GMs, who put out terrible rosters of talent.

With that said, it's not that I think a loss would be SOL. It's that I think it's okay for the Lions to lose and for it to not be SOL.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I despise the "SOL" criers more than possibly anything else in the sports world. Not necessarily everyone who uses it in nomenclature. We all know what it means and it feels like a thing. I just can't stand people that you never hear from or see from on a day-to-day basis that pop out from the woodwork after a tough loss with their "SOL har-dee-har" BS, but that you know will be claiming how they've been a fan since birth, and stuck with them through it all, when we ever win something meaningful.

It's taking nonsense like the curse of Bobby Layne and using it to throw in the face of die-hard fans every time we lose a close or heartbreaking game. There is nothing same-old left of these 2022 Lions. Down to the ownership installed in 2020 (notwithstanding the last name and genes she inherited from arguably the worst owner in professional sports history). Even the half-century of ineptitude suffered at his hands wasn't because we were the Lions, it was because we had a terrible owner who hired terrible GMs, who put out terrible rosters of talent.

With that said, it's not that I think a loss would be SOL. It's that I think it's okay for the Lions to lose and for it to not be SOL.

You are pup in this Lions shit story.   I envy you.   I’ve got 20 more years of Lions crap built up.    I truly hope that we’ve broken through and have at least 1 Super Bowl trip before you are pushing 50.  If not, I promise that you will come to embrace SOL and even stupid curses much more than you do now.   

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yeah - I think a LOT of people have gotten a good way out over their skis for the Lions to be favored in this game. It's the NFL and 'any given Sunday...' and all that, but I still don't see the Lions being favored.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

You are pup in this Lions shit story.   I envy you.   I’ve got 20 more years of Lions crap built up.    I truly hope that we’ve broken through and have at least 1 Super Bowl trip before you are pushing 50.  If not, I promise that you will come to embrace SOL and even stupid curses much more than you do now.   

All told..... probably true. I respect the shit out of you life-timers.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

unless you got excited for the "another one bites the dust" lions starting 4-0, youre a pup to me.  lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1