Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (7-7) @ Carolina Panthers (5-9)

MichiganCardinal

495566441_LionsLogo.png.612fae868c2d5fc19890fec72987f142.png          vs.           logo.png.ba500021e6c10c0973128f309214fcab.png

Setting: 12/24/2022 1:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC

Weather: 36° High, 20° Low, 1% chance of rain/snow, 5mph Wind

Opening Spread: Lions -2.5

All-Time Series Record: Panthers lead 7-3

Last Meeting: 11/22/2020, Panthers won 20-0

Carolina Panthers (5-9)

Interim Head Coach: Steve Wilks (2nd Season: 6-18)

Projected Starting QB: Sam Darnold (5th Season: 19-34)

Last Week: 24-16 L vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-8)

Looking Ahead to Week #17: Sunday @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-7)*

GettyImages-1450134498.thumb.webp.4574f0f8640dddbd2dd025d59326caad.webp

Your Detroit Lions (7-7)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (2nd Season: 10-20-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (7th Season: 52-44-1)

Last Week: 20-17 W @ New York Jets (7-7)

Looking Ahead to Week #17: Sunday v. Chicago Bears (3-11)

1450140627.0.thumb.jpg.2b0610516a860eafea05a99385a400ec.jpg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Jaguars @ Jets (TNF), Raiders @ Steelers (Saturday Night), Chargers @ Colts (MNF)

1:00pm Saturday: Falcons @ Ravens,  Bills @ Bears, Saints @ Browns, Seahawks @ Chiefs, Giants @ Vikings, Bengals @ Patriots, Texans @ Titans

4:00/4:25pm Saturday: Commanders @ 49ers, Eagles @ Cowboys

Christmas Day: Packers @ Dolphins (1:00pm), Broncos @ Rams (4:30pm), Buccaneers @ Cardinals (8:20pm)

-christmas-tree3-57e0069e5f9b586516714d64.thumb.png.9b3dc3702221a4af91db0c31fa6c23d7.png

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

They get at least two. They even got one after they traded Stafford.

if the lions get a mnf game, its because they are matched against a popular team like the packers or bears or pats.

like i said, they have the afc west next year so they have a shot because teams like the chiefs, raiders, and broncos are national teams.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

if the lions get a mnf game, its because they are matched against a popular team like the packers or bears or pats.

like i said, they have the afc west next year so they have a shot because teams like the chiefs, raiders, and broncos are national teams.

The Lions are a national team now. They are popular and they should be projected to be contenders. Kansas City is a good one. Two good offenses and the story line of the rematch of the 54-51 game between Goff and Mahomes. Division games are always good like the Packers or Vikings. They are also in line to play Dallas which would be popular.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions are a national team now. They are popular and they should be projected to be contenders. Kansas City is a good one. Two good offenses and the story line of the rematch of the 54-51 game between Goff and Mahomes. Division games are always good like the Packers or Vikings. They are also in line to play Dallas which would be popular.

the lions are not a national team.

if they get two, it will likely be green bay and kansas city.  or maybe an nfc east team.

it wont be because of detroit.  the last time i can think of the lions being any sort of draw was when they had barry sanders.  when barry was there they had two mnf games in the same season 3 times, and even then it was towards the end of barry's career.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

the lions are not a national team.

if they get two, it will likely be green bay and kansas city.  or maybe an nfc east team.

it wont be because of detroit.  the last time i can think of the lions being any sort of draw was when they had barry sanders.  when barry was there they had two mnf games in the same season 3 times, and even then it was towards the end of barry's career.

The Lions Thanksgiving Day game was the highest rated game of the season for CBS. The Lions are popular right now. People like the underdog story. People nationally are talking about them. They are also owed a Monday game for lending Ford Field to the Bills.

The Lions Thanksgiving Day game was the highest rated game of the season for CBS. The Lions are popular right now. People like the underdog story. People nationally are talking about them. They are also owed a Monday game for lending Ford Field to the Bills.

that's cause it was thanksgiving and the only game on tv.  the dallas game had much higher ratings.

what teams do you think are national teams?

1 minute ago, buddha said:

that's cause it was thanksgiving and the only game on tv.  the dallas game had much higher ratings.

what teams do you think are national teams?

Dallas, New York teams, Pittsburgh, possibly San Francisco and Green Bay. Those are teams I think no matter what they are national teams. Right now since they are winning I would add Kansas City, Buffalo, Philadelphia and maybe New England. Denver got a lot of national attention but people have complained about it and they got flexed out of primetime games. The Lions have become popular after Hard Knocks and this season they are having.

Dallas, New York teams, Pittsburgh, possibly San Francisco and Green Bay. Those are teams I think no matter what they are national teams. Right now since they are winning I would add Kansas City, Buffalo, Philadelphia and maybe New England. Denver got a lot of national attention but people have complained about it and they got flexed out of primetime games. The Lions have become popular after Hard Knocks and this season they are having.

people might be lions-curious, but that does not make them a national team or even a popular team.

if the lions start to win, they will become popular very quickly, but they arent there yet.

tiers:

truly national teams:

cowboys, packers.

second tier national teams:

steelers, bears, giants, niners, raiders, chiefs, broncos.

third tier recent history makes them national draws teams:

pats, whatever team tom brady plays for, bills

the lions will need a few years of sustained success to reach tier 3.

I think the Lions are a sweetheart team for a lot of NFL fans. Not a team that national eyes are automatically drawn to, but if they are on, we get a lot of fans who otherwise wouldn't care, because "how can you hate those fans and that team?"

It's easier to hate teams in the NFL than it is to like them. For instance, I hate the Packers, Cowboys, Patriots, Bears, Raiders, and Bucs, and I don't like the Jets, Giants, Steelers, Vikings, Eagles, Seahawks, and Rams... Other than the Lions, I generally don't dislike the Bengals and Bills. I'm indifferent about everyone else. My impression is that we make a lot of "generally don't dislike" lists across the NFL.

People know how much we've suffered and because of how long we've sucked for, we haven't made a ton of enemies. A lot of people would be pulling for us if we made a Super Bowl, and will pull for us if we are on, especially if it's against a team they don't like or hate, and especially if we are competitive. Not every MNF game can be Giants-Cowboys (though I'm sure ESPN has asked NFL if that's possible)...

We aren't the type of franchise that can carry ratings, but we can improve them with the right opponent.

There is a buzz around the Lions. Also Campbell gives the networks some confidence that the Lions won’t lay an egg in a prime time slot. If I had to bet I’d guess the Lions get two prime time games next year.

PS: If the Rams had done a bit better, or the Lions a bit worse, there was a chance the Lions would host Stafford. But Seattle looks more likely as the NFC West opponent. 

There's really only a few teams in the league who you can count on to bring you higher than your regular viewership but even then it usually is dependent on them being good except for maybe the Cowboys. Also what draws more than anything in the NFL are meaningful competitive games with good teams so first and foremost those are the teams and matchups you want to target. If the Lions finish the season strong and in turn draw high expectations for next year they will most certainly get a primetime(s) game.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I think the Lions offense might help their cause—I believe most fans would like to see higher scoring games (there were a few nationally televised “duds” this season from a scoring standpoint).  

Fans just want to see a higher number next to the Lions logo than the other team's logo, whether it's 45-41 or 3-2.    We've been starving too long to demand a steak.