Week Sixteen: Detroit Lions (7-7) @ Carolina Panthers (5-9)

MichiganCardinal

44 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I believe now. 

So experience tells me that this is the point where they crush my heart like a grape, they'll squeeze it until it turns into wine and they'll drink it down while laughing maniacally 

Hey, they've made it fun, interesting and exciting, they compete.

I was thinking about the debate we all had on the old forum prior to last season about how many players on the Lions would start on the other teams, I think the cutoff was 20 teams and I believe we only came up with 3 unamious choices in Hock, Decker. Ragnow. What would that number look like now only a year and a half later?

I think on offense atleast 4 of the Oline, St. Brown, possibly Swift and/or Williams and Goff. So you're talking 6 to 8 guys. 

On defense its a little trickier but I think Hutch, McNeil,Okudah for sure with about 3-5 more guys as possibilities. So we essentially went from 3 to 5 plus starters to about 13 to 15 in a little over a year.

Part of that was Holmes acquisitions others were guys growing under the coaching staff here but either way that is a remarkable turnaround. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was thinking about the debate we all had on the old forum prior to last season about how many players on the Lions would start on the other teams, I think the cutoff was 20 teams and I believe we only came up with 3 unamious choices in Hock, Decker. Ragnow. What would that number look like now only a year and a half later?

I think on offense atleast 4 of the Oline, St. Brown, possibly Swift and/or Williams and Goff. So you're talking 6 to 8 guys. 

On defense its a little trickier but I think Hutch, McNeil,Okudah for sure with about 3-5 more guys as possibilities. So we essentially went from 3 to 5 plus starters to about 13 to 15 in a little over a year.

Part of that was Holmes acquisitions others were guys growing under the coaching staff here but either way that is a remarkable turnaround. 

goff?  who would goff start for in this league?

no: packers, bears, vikings, eagles  cowboys, bucs, rams, cardinals, bills, dolphins, bengals, ravens, browns, jaguars, chiefs, chargers, and broncos.

to me, the lions starters on 20 other teams are sewell, decker, ragnow, jackson, st. brown, swift.  and that's it.

hutch might be a starter because of draft position but not production.  no lions secondary member starts for 20 teams in the league.  okudah MAYBE.  nobody else is close.  mcneill?  i dont know enough about dt production to say.  so maybe?

i think ben johnson would be an upgrade to OC for more than 20 teams.

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

goff?  who would goff start for in this league?

no: packers, bears, vikings, eagles  cowboys, bucs, rams, cardinals, bills, dolphins, bengals, ravens, browns, jaguars, chiefs, chargers, and broncos.

to me, the lions starters on 20 other teams are sewell, decker, ragnow, jackson, st. brown, swift.  and that's it.

hutch might be a starter because of draft position but not production.  no lions secondary member starts for 20 teams in the league.  okudah MAYBE.  nobody else is close.  mcneill?  i dont know enough about dt production to say.  so maybe?

i think ben johnson would be an upgrade to OC for more than 20 teams.

Yeah I had a brain fart when I posted that, I was thinking 20 teams they wouldn't start for or essentially 12 teams that they would start for not 20 teams. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I had a brain fart when I posted that, I was thinking top 20 or essentially 12 teams that they would start for not 20 teams. 

i think your overall point was valid.  the lions have upgraded their talent.

more imoortantly, they greatly uograded their management talent.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, Motown Bombers said:

They get at least two. They even got one after they traded Stafford.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:42 PM, buddha said:

if the lions get a mnf game, its because they are matched against a popular team like the packers or bears or pats.

like i said, they have the afc west next year so they have a shot because teams like the chiefs, raiders, and broncos are national teams.

The Packers won't be a big draw without Rodgers. A 3 win team. And him and Brady look very washed up, very weak arms. Age catches up to us all....

49 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Sam Darnold is awful, this should be a win for the Lions. I know in the NFL that games are close all the time and upsets happen. But losing to Sam Darnold is not one I think happens. This isn't MNF against the Jets with Patricia as Coach where we make Darnold look like Joe Montana.

so is zach wilson and he just passed for 300 yards and left a ton of plays on the field.  i'm a bit worried about the lions secondary again.  they looked awful against the jets.

can we re-hire aubrey pleasant again so dan campbell can fire him?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, buddha said:

so is zach wilson and he just passed for 300 yards and left a ton of plays on the field.  i'm a bit worried about the lions secondary again.  they looked awful against the jets.

can we re-hire aubrey pleasant again so dan campbell can fire him?

I thought Darnold's numbers would look worse than Wilson's but when I looked them up he has an even higher QBR at 47% to Wilson's 42%. The one thing Wilson has to rely on though is a top 5 defense and Darnold does not. So we, Goff, should perform better against a worse Panthers defense and give Daronld less of a cushion to work with.

Player Position Injury Tuesday* Wednesday Thursday Game Status
Kayode Awosika G ankle NP NP    
Jason Cabinda FB illness NP NP    
DeShon Elliott S shoulder NP NP    
Matt Nelson T not injury related not listed NP    
Frank Ragnow C foot NP NP    
Derrick Barnes LB knee LP LP    
Evan Brown C/G ankle LP LP    
Taylor Decker T elbow LP LP    
Michael Brockers DL illness FP FP

Those two key plays the last two weeks........the pass to Sewell and the game winning TD pass  to Brock Wright were incredible play calls for the moment but they also sent a message to ever NFL team that the Lions will throw it to anyone and I think this is the week we'll see Jameson in a lot of snaps and what do you do as a defense..........double ASB?  double Jameson........go ahead but Chark, Swift, Wright, Mitchell, Raymond can all burn you if you do.        They'll all catch passes pretty much every week.   

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Those two key plays the last two weeks........the pass to Sewell and the game winning TD pass  to Brock Wright were incredible play calls for the moment but they also sent a message to ever NFL team that the Lions will throw it to anyone and I think this is the week we'll see Jameson in a lot of snaps and what do you do as a defense..........double ASB?  double Jameson........go ahead but Chark, Swift, Wright, Mitchell, Raymond can all burn you if you do.        They'll all catch passes pretty much every week.   

I'd like to see them just get him the ball more. He'll be lethal once him and Goff get on the same page, but that is going to take time - like, probably more time than we have left in this season. A whole offseason of working together will give those two some good chemistry, and I would expect Goff to make the throw he under-threw once they both get down the timing of a practical go route like that.

They don't have to wait that long to see what he can do though. Give him the ball on an end-around, or on a screen. I want to see what he can do in space. He hasn't even been tackled yet that I can remember.