January Game Threads

lordstanley

the problem for the wings with horvat is that some other team will outbid them.  im not giving up a #1 pick, and i doubt zadina, hronek, and a second rounder will cut it.

even if vancouver says they want a right handed defenseman who can play now and a player coming off an elc who needs a change of scenery...

53 minutes ago, buddha said:

the problem for the wings with horvat is that some other team will outbid them.  im not giving up a #1 pick, and i doubt zadina, hronek, and a second rounder will cut it.

even if vancouver says they want a right handed defenseman who can play now and a player coming off an elc who needs a change of scenery...

what's the deal on his line? Last couple of years he's had 50% more goals than assists. Not a classic ratio for a center.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I read a scouting report that said he's not a dedicated defender and just not much of a playmaker. Goal-scorer, yes... but maybe that's why the low assists/ high goals... Uncertain on the report's accuracy but the numbers sorta bear it out...

I'm not certain he's the right guy to chase...

who else are you going to reasonably get?

You always pay more at the deadline than in the off-season.   Does anyone really see this team catching fire and passing 5 teams for the right to make the playoffs and crushed by Boston in 4 games.   I think they are best to sell or stand pat and make a splash in the summer.  

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You always pay more at the deadline than in the off-season.   Does anyone really see this team catching fire and passing 5 teams for the right to make the playoffs and crushed by Boston in 4 games.   I think they are best to sell or stand pat and make a splash in the summer.  

you dont know what will be available in the summer.  you do know horvat is available now.

if all it really cost were hronek, zadina, and a prospect, and you knew you could get him for around $9 mil, then why not?

you now have #1 and #2 centers locked in (assuming you sign larkin) and you keep your prospects.  you lose hronek but defense is the one position you have a lot of prospects.  kasper starts on the wing or at 3C.

the wings are desperate for talent up the middle and desperate for scoring.  horvat gives them both.  as with anything, it depends on the price.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

you dont know what will be available in the summer.  you do know horvat is available now.

if all it really cost were hronek, zadina, and a prospect, and you knew you could get him for around $9 mil, then why not?

you now have #1 and #2 centers locked in (assuming you sign larkin) and you keep your prospects.  you lose hronek but defense is the one position you have a lot of prospects.  kasper starts on the wing or at 3C.

the wings are desperate for talent up the middle and desperate for scoring.  horvat gives them both.  as with anything, it depends on the price.

the counter is if some of that scoring is available - say with Kasper, without giving other things up and it will be here by next season- then that's where SY has to make a call. Especially if we are more or less writing this season off.  How much do you care to get better for the rest of this year? In my perfect world Bertuzzi had made a splash - coming back strong before mid-season, they sign him and then trade him for someone more 'reliable'. That one appears to be down the drain!

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I read a scouting report that said he's not a dedicated defender and just not much of a playmaker. Goal-scorer, yes... but maybe that's why the low assists/ high goals... Uncertain on the report's accuracy but the numbers sorta bear it out...

I'm not certain he's the right guy to chase...

FWIW, he’s one of the best face off men in the league.  

Shouldn't need OT to beat San Jose at home, but I really can't complain about a win.

I really like Horvat and would pay a pretty high price for him. Including Kaspar. Or this year's first. Certainly Cossa. Good point about the skewed G-A ratio, which would suggest he plays more like a winger but I don't think the case.

Edited by lordstanley

I think this team is better off making a play for a guy like Horvat when it is more mature...

When it is already in the playoffs, has a good core, and needs to add an additional key missing element. Sort of like adding Brendan Shanahan when we did.

Maybe we're ready for a Horvat trade... I'm just not certain about that.

Oh... and yes Hongbit, he's good at face-offs, would probably be the best on the Red Wings... I did forget about that part...

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the counter is if some of that scoring is available - say with Kasper, without giving other things up and it will be here by next season- then that's where SY has to make a call. Especially if we are more or less writing this season off.  How much do you care to get better for the rest of this year? In my perfect world Bertuzzi had made a splash - coming back strong before mid-season, they sign him and then trade him for someone more 'reliable'. That one appears to be down the drain!

kasper wont be with the wings next year.  he might be in two years, maybe 50/50 shot.  and he will likely start on the wing or be gradually brought in.

bertuzzi is done.  he cant stay healthy.  if he wants a one year "prove it" deal, then maybe he comes back.  if someone wants to roll the dice on him, let them take the risk.  he hasnt been good when he's played this year.  i'd be real surprised if they got anything more than a second rounder this year.  shocked, even.

lets remember, they hit rock bottom only three years ago.  its going to take a while to get back to anything without any lottery luck or draft magic.

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Shouldn't need OT to beat San Jose at home, but I really can't complain about a win.

I really like Horvat and would pay a pretty high price for him. Including Kaspar. Or this year's first. Certainly Cossa. Good point about the skewed G-A ratio, which would suggest he plays more like a winger but I don't think the case.

i would not deal this year's first or kasper.

i would trade cossa in a heartbeat.

this was another game to remind us that the wings need nhl offensive talent desperately.  all of their top picks from the pre yzerman days are slotted in at 3rd line players and pluggers.  nice guys, nice role players, but not what you ultimately hope for from first round picks or top prospects 

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I think the game gave us an interesting marker in where the Wings are improving and where they are still so weak. SJ is a bad team, but it was still interesting to see how the mismatch played out. The Wings generated possession time sufficient for the game to have been a rout, but couldn't put the puck in the net enough to win in regulation. To me that is an indication of how Yzerman is building from the blue line out. Faster, better passing/puck handling D men have definitely improved their ability to hold the puck in the offensive zone. A wing forward can cycle the puck out to the line with some confidence there is someone there to get it and can beat the pursuit to keep things alive, but the guys deep in the zone still lack skills as finishers.

Edited by gehringer_2