2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was being a bit sarcastic.

But, let’s have fun and say Baez returns to the Mets to play 2B, Semien signs with the White Sox to play 2B, and one of Seagar/Taylor stays with the Dodgers.  Suddenly the pickings have gotten slimmer, and two of the SSs are now at 2B.

None of that is fun unless Corea is already a done deal

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I am hoping for something big to happen so I keep checking my “sources” and it is such a letdown to see that instead of a headline about a big signing the main story right now on the Tigers mlb.com page is “Here’s One thing for every team to be thankful for.” 

Noooooooo!

I’m like a kid who just wants to see his fancy shortstop package dressed out with a navy blue and orange ribbon under the Christmas tree even if it’s weeks before the big day and I’m being told instead to be “thankful” for whatever else it is I already have. @&$#!

When DD and Mr. Ilitch managed Christmas the world was a better place. 

You will be getting more Sealtest ice cream.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you want to go by the numbers over the last 4 (3 full) seasons (2018-2021) by WAR the ranking would be.

by Fangraphs

Semien=19.3; Story=17.1; Baez=13.3; Correa=11.4; Seager=9.2

by BBref

Semien=20.3; Story=19.9; Baez=18.3; Correa=15.7; Seager=9.2

I didn't realize how much time Seager has missed.

Those lists tell an important story.  Yes, Correa and Seager are nice players when they are on the field, which is not often enough.

actually the 'hill' was supposed to be that Javy has decent grounds for not believing he should be 5th on the list but no-one went that way with it. 

But that is the thing with statistics, they are what they are, but they are only as predictive as you believe the situation in the past will be the situation in the future. But if you want to argue against them, you (general sense) have the burden to argue why the situation is likely to be different.

Of course with athletes you have the built in difference that every year they are a year older and everyone ages differently, so that's always a big variable all by itself.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

actually the 'hill' was supposed to be that Javy has decent grounds for not believing he should be 5th on the list ... 

... statistics, ... are only as predictive as you believe the situation in the past will be the situation in the future...

And as we all know, past results are not a guarantee of future results.

I looked into my Magic 8-Ball and asked what does the future look like for Javy Baez in the next 5 years, and the answer was:

"2nd Base = Grim."

Edited by 1984Echoes

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

To all those preferring Baez on the shorter deal...

No thank you.

I'd rather Correa at 10 years/$340 mill than Baez at 5 years/ $125 mill.

If it's Story I would be interested, but not Baez.

Only fans would be upset if something great happens, because something slightly greater didn't happen. Any of the five free agent shortstops would be great, you could make a case for all of them being top ten in the league, and all would be huge upgrades. Be happy if they get any of them.

• Like 1

I did state before that if we end up with Baez, I'll live with it.

And I'll be happy for the huge upgrade.

But also, definitely disappointed that we didn't end up with better. Because 4 better SS options are available.

But that's just me.

And I would be very disappointed ending up with Baez.

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I did state before that if we end up with Baez, I'll live with it.

And I'll be happy for the huge upgrade.

But also, definitely disappointed that we didn't end up with better. Because 4 better SS options are available.

But that's just me.

And I would be very disappointed ending up with Baez.

The differences in value among the five are not as great as perception may lead you to believe.

• Like 1