2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Position players needed: 1. SS; 2. Catcher; and (maybe) 3. someone to bounce between 1b/OF/DH until Tork and Greene arrive, but clearly they are both going to be in Detroit early if not Opening Day. Mark Cahna on low end / Schwarber on high end

DH – Miggy – not yet, but soon, he will be in the way of a better player.

C – Haase; add Tucker Barnhart as starter, a LH bat on a one year deal. Then Rogers and Dingler join Haase in 2023.

1b – Tork will finish season here; until then Miggy/HCastro/Niko/Canha?/Schwarber?/Rodriguez?

2b – Schoop, where he belongs

SS – Semien or Story or Correa

3b – Candy

Paredes, Clemens, Kreidler at Toledo; it will be a good problem to have to try to get looks at all of them (maybe Short as needed too), especially if they keep both Niko and HCastro.

OF – Baddoo/Victor/Hill/Grossman until Greene comes up, then: Grossman in RF, Greene in CF, with Baddoo in LF, Hill or Daz as 4th OF. Victor will hang around some.

WCastro in LF at Toledo? Not sure why they just do not cut the cord. JaCoby and Stewart will depart as MiLB FAs as well.

Pitching:

Tier 1: no one yet

Tier 2: Mize, Skubal, Manning

Tier 3: Alexander, WPeralta, FREE AGENT

Tier 4 (unknowns): Wentz, Faedo, Shore, Garcia

Bullpen: Fulmer, Cisnero, Funk, Lange, Soto is a nice start. An elite BP might be easier to build than an elite rotation (see Brewers). If so, add Raisel Igelsias and Andrew Chafin (LHR).

• Thanks 1

I've read a lot on Greene but never saw him play except for a few highlight reels.  A lot of people put him in CF.  Is he really fast enough for CF or would Baddoo or Hill be better in CF?

I hope they sign a Tier 1 pitcher instead of some of the hope and prayer pitcher projects Avila has been signing. 

However they work 1B it should be someone other than Schoop.  1B is not his position and they need him at 2B,

41 minutes ago, Archie said:

I've read a lot on Greene but never saw him play except for a few highlight reels.  A lot of people put him in CF.  Is he really fast enough for CF or would Baddoo or Hill be better in CF?

I hope they sign a Tier 1 pitcher instead of some of the hope and prayer pitcher projects Avila has been signing. 

However they work 1B it should be someone other than Schoop.  1B is not his position and they need him at 2B,

If I understood Dan Dickerson correctly when he was going through off-season needs in the 8th inning today, he does expect that the Tigers will sign a Tier 1 pitcher. 

• Like 2

I imagine it will be something like Top Tier SS (think Story) and then Maybe Verlander if he wants. If not think Grinke. Then a reliever like Mychael Givens. 

The problem wiht OP is if we sign some shortstop to 200Plus. Then sign a tier one FA then sign the top reliever. Well I can't think of any team that has swept the FA market like that. Not to mention the cost of signign Chaffin, Igelsias, SS and Tier one pitcher is gonna approach $500 mililon

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

If I understood Dan Dickerson correctly when he was going through off-season needs in the 8th inning today, he does expect that the Tigers will sign a Tier 1 pitcher. 

I'd rather see the money go to SS. Outs not converted by Tiger shortstops have dragged down the whole pitching staff - running pitch counts, shortening outings, taxed the BP. Or, put another way, I'd rather have Correa and a 2nd tier guy than Scherzer with Niko and Willi back.

• Like 2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I'd rather see the money go to SS. Outs not converted by Tiger shortstops have dragged down the whole pitching staff - running pitch counts, shortening outings, taxed the BP. Or, put another way, I'd rather have Correa and a 2nd tier guy than Scherzer with Niko and Willi back.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Will any of Mize, Skubal or Manning be on a season inning limit again next year?

Probably depends on record, how they feel and what not. They did 150 this year, so if they are chugging around .500 then they might cap it around 175. If they are in the hunt they might let Mize go a bit more

I think the Tigers sign Correa and Verlander. Depending on how the new CBA looks in regards to service time manipulation, Greene and Tork could start on opening day.

In terms of attainable goals, maybe a winning record in 2022 and playoffs in 2023. Next year is kind of an odd year because they are definitely trying to win at this point, but they are also going to start two rookies and they will give Manning a long leash too. OTOH, when we were contenders under DD, Manning is the type of guy he probably would have moved for an established player.

• Like 1

Reading the 2008 season "expose" Tiger Confidential by Andy Van Slyke is instructive in the effects of suddenly adding players without regard to chemistry.   Gary Sheffield always seemed to be annoyed to be there.  Dontrelle Willis had his anxiety issues.  Miggy may well have not been focused due to demon rum. 

I hope the Ryan Garko signing which points to an understanding of psychology in team-building portends better results for our sudden influx of new and expensive talent.

• Like 1

The Tigers would have to watch Verlander's innings if they signed him, since he's coming off TJ. I would try to sneak Max in, but if he's not interested, then I'd go to Verlander and tell him he was my #1 all the time. It really sounds like the ocean is parting for the Tigers to make a deal with Correa. I would also be fine with Haase/Gardeau at catcher. They have been excellent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Reading the 2008 season "expose" Tiger Confidential by Andy Van Slyke is instructive in the effects of suddenly adding players without regard to chemistry.   Gary Sheffield always seemed to be annoyed to be there.  Dontrelle Willis had his anxiety issues.  Miggy may well have not been focused due to demon rum. 

I hope the Ryan Garko signing which points to an understanding of psychology in team-building portends better results for our sudden influx of new and expensive talent.

I almost bought a used copy of that but I’m actually wondering if this is something I want to relive in detail. it was painful. That was the year I coined the phrase “Where’s my six runs?” because there were such high hopes and every baseball publication chose the Tigers to win the World Series. Some thought the Tigers win score 1000 runs.  But it was last place. Last place. 

• Like 1

I didn’t realize that A.J. Hinch, George Lombard and Chris Fetter all have psychology degrees. I don’t know if that means anything on its own or what its practical utility may be. At best it means they have not only a natural curiosity but that they also have goals they thought psychology would help them achieve. 

7 hours ago, KL2 said:

Probably depends on record, how they feel and what not. They did 150 this year, so if they are chugging around .500 then they might cap it around 175. If they are in the hunt they might let Mize go a bit more

Isn’t it usually 20% more each year? If so 180 innings sounds pretty reasonable. 

39 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I didn’t realize that A.J. Hinch, George Lombard and Chris Fetter all have psychology degrees. I don’t know if that means anything on its own or what its practical utility may be. At best it means they have not only a natural curiosity but that they also have goals they thought psychology would help them achieve. 

According to the hard science/Engineering types in my family it means they are homos or bi curious or have deep seated problems.   At a minimum you should be wary of any woman whose hair is a bit curly, bordering on frizzy who wears fishnets at work, who has a psych degree.  You will be robbing liquor stores for her as she sits back in her lair laughing at what she got you to do for her.  

• Haha 1

Just now, romad1 said:

According to the hard science/Engineering types in my family it means they are homos or bi curious or have deep seated problems.   At a minimum you should be wary of any woman whose hair is a bit curly, bordering on frizzy who wears fishnets at work, who has a psych degree.  You will be robbing liquor stores for her as she sits back in her lair laughing at what she got you to do for her.  

What I'm trying to say is...rob the liquor store for you.  Know why you are robbing it.  

35 minutes ago, romad1 said:

EYlcKYfXYAIpih0.jpg

• Like 1