2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

12 hours ago, Scottwood said:

I think the Tigers sign Correa and Verlander. Depending on how the new CBA looks in regards to service time manipulation, Greene and Tork could start on opening day.

In terms of attainable goals, maybe a winning record in 2022 and playoffs in 2023. Next year is kind of an odd year because they are definitely trying to win at this point, but they are also going to start two rookies and they will give Manning a long leash too. OTOH, when we were contenders under DD, Manning is the type of guy he probably would have moved for an established player.

If they sign both Correa and Verlander, their goal would be to make the playoffs in 2022.  Is that likely? Maybe not, but I think it's reasonably attainable especially if they expand to 14 teams as expected.  .      

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Probably...

But nothing seems to fit inside my brain right now other than "Verlander", "Verlander", "Verlander"...

Its a long name so it takes up a lot more space than other names.   Luckily we aren't interested in pitchers named  Messerschmidt or Kitchenmaster or worse still one of those weird British upper class hyphenated names like Bonham-Carter. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

If they sign both Correa and Verlander, their goal would be to make the playoffs in 2022.  Is that likely? Maybe not, but I think it's reasonably attainable especially if they expand to 14 teams as expected.  .      

If they decide to go the 2020 route and top 2 teams in each division get in then the playoffs should definitely be obtainable next year especially if they do make a splash in FA.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

14 team? Are they going to start the season March 1st and play until mid-November? Or shorten the regular season to 140 games?

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

14 team? Are they going to start the season March 1st and play until mid-November? Or shorten the regular season to 140 games?

They won't shorten the season because then they'll lose money on attendance and milking as much money out of the game as they can is the whole point of expanded playoffs.  

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If they decide to go the 2020 route and top 2 teams in each division get in then the playoffs should definitely be obtainable next year especially if they do make a splash in FA.

I hate expanding the playoffs, but having the top two teams in each division is more appealing to me than eight wildcards.  

Edited by Tiger337

Just now, Tiger337 said:

They won't shorten the season because then they'll lose money on attendance and milking as much money out of the game as they can is the whole point of expanded playoffs.  

Very true. I just don't want to watch baseball in the snow. Build a complex out west and have the playoffs in a neutral site.

Looking at the FA starting pitchers there aren't a whole lot of guys out there that would be realistic,  atleast in terms of potential aces.

There's Scherzer, Ray and Gausman and that's about it. A name I like and who I think could be a potential sleeper is Jon Gray from the Rockies.

Looking at his splits he actually pitches better at home than on the road so I cant blame Coors Field on his pedestrian numbers but I just think his stuff is good enough that he is capable of being a number 2 or really good 3 with the right coaching. The hope would be that Hinch and Fetter can work their magic and unlock his true potential.

Of course he's not perfect by any means and he could end up being a bust but if we go the FA route and don't pony up for a Scherzer he could be our best chance of getting a really good pitcher. 

I saw that Joe West is retiring after this year, I wonder if this means that we may be getting robo umps sooner rather than later and that's why he is leaving? I know he's getting up in age so it's perfectly reasonable for him to want to leave regardless but he strikes me as one of those umps that would hate to not be in total control and have to be at the command of an electronic device so it has be wondering. 

12 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Two 15-team leagues with top 6 teams in each league making it would be ideal Top two seeds in each league get bye to 2nd round. Won't happen. 

Two 16-team leagues with 4 divisions each would be ideal.  Only take the leader in each division, maybe a couple wild cards to keep it interesting.

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s so weird for there to be no game. When the regular season is going on I can look forward to watching them or I can look forward to ignoring them. Either way I find a level of pleasure in either possibility, both which are now impossible. 

Yeah, I was in a funk last night.   I could have watched the Las Vegas Oaklands vs. Las Angeles Whale Vaginas but the NFL sickens me. 

58 minutes ago, davidsb623 said:

Two 16-team leagues with 4 divisions each would be ideal.  Only take the leader in each division, maybe a couple wild cards to keep it interesting.

I don't understand the appeal of fewer teams per division.  I guess I don't think I've heard the rationale for why it would make playoff contention, or baseball in general, better.

The aspect that I don't like about it is that there is the chance that an inferior team wins a division and bumps off a better team that just happens to be in a tougher division.  Its happened in the NFL a few times.  Heck, you look at Los Angeles as a wild card this season even though they have the 2nd best record in MLB.  The 2nd best record gets dumped into a one game elimination game.  What kind of sense does that make?

58 minutes ago, casimir said:

Be honest.  You were busy clubbin' with Urban.

I was sitting in a dark room flicking the light switch on and off but the bulb was burned out so there was no dramatic light then dark showing the growing internal rage that would lead to me boiling Roger Goodell's rabbit.  

(two days in a row with a ref to Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction)

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I don't understand the appeal of fewer teams per division.  I guess I don't think I've heard the rationale for why it would make playoff contention, or baseball in general, better.

The appeal is to have an even number of teams in each league so an interleague series is not required every day of the season.

17 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I think the way they’ll do a 14-team (i.e., seven per league) playoff scheme is that all division leaders get byes, and the four other teams have a one-game knockout tournament across two days, with the winner advancing to the LDS against the top record.

3 hours ago, davidsb623 said:

I know we’re gonna get this eventually, but I don’t exactly love it, since it means almost certainly that 82+-loss division winners will make the playoffs occasionally. I don’t know how I’m going to feel once we see a sub-.500 tea, get to the World Series, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be warm and fuzzy, unless it’s us, and then it’ll be warm and fuzzy mixed with a touch of embarrassed.

• Thanks 1

I’m trying to envision how they would do a 16-team (eight-per-league) playoff scheme after expansion, because we just know they’re gonna. So how do we make it work the best way possible?

As we all know, baseball is the one sport where any bad team could beat a good team in a short series (ex: Rockies beat the Dodgers in a series at home in late August just this year).

So maybe the way they handle this is, first round is best of three, but the division winner starts the series up 1-0, so they have to win only one on the field, while the wild card team would have to beat them two straight to move on. That way, there would be a much better chance the better team advances, and a mediocre team catching the better team in a three-game funk would happen less. Better teams make for better late October and early November matchups.

One of the other good things about this is that this would make winning a division really mean something, so teams’ strategies would have to be, load up to win 90+ games and a division title instead of just 85 games just to sneak into the playoffs. It should make the trade market and the offseason free agent market more interesting and competitive.