2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

must be a real *** . teams are not interested in keeping him around

That's what I was thinking.  I remember he got in an argument with someone in the dugout but don't remember much about it.  Tigers just non-tendered him and didn't get anything back. 

Edited by Archie

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

How do you know he's out of range? The video didn't get into specifics and we don't know the Tigers range anyway.   

Coming back from TJ.

QO.

39 years old next year.

Wants a contract of some length.

Avila/ Ilitch can beg to differ... but IMO out of our range. I'm not interested. Anyone else in here interested in JV based on the above components? We haven't even gotten to dollars yet.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Mike Ilitch did spend money like a drunken sailor, though.

Yes, he did.

Didn’t he sort of fess up to it a little bit at the Prince Fielder press conference?  I don’t remember what the exact question was, but his response to something related to an impulse buy was simply “I want the best ball players”.

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

How do you know he's out of range? The video didn't get into specifics and we don't know the Tigers range anyway.   

IDK, the QO could be for more than most team are willing to put at risk on a 2 or three year offer. Maybe he will take it.

Edited by gehringer_2

I'm probably thinking with my heart and not my head but I truly believe in Verlander and think he could be one of those special players that are productive into their 40s. I know he is coming off of TJ so I would definitely temper my expectations that first year but even if he isn't a frontline ace that doesn't mean he still can't be of value.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, the QO could be for more than most team are willing to put at risk on a 2 or three year offer. Maybe he will take it.

And then come back at the end of 2022, after he's proven he's 100% back from TJ, that he's worth that 3 year/ $90-100M contract.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm probably thinking with my heart and not my head but I truly believe in Verlander and think he could be one of those special players that are productive into their 40s. I know he is coming off of TJ so I would definitely temper my expectations that first year but even if he isn't a frontline ace that doesn't mean he still can't be of value.   

If he signs the QO. Too late.

If he doesn't, I would only be willing to do the 1-year in order to see how he comes back from TJ. Not interested in making a LT commitment when we have no idea on that. Sign him as a guess? As a... we "truly believe" in Verlander? I'm sorry, but no thanks.

The only thing that makes sense to me is a 1-year recovery deal, for $20 Mill or less. At the end of 2022, after he's shown whether he's the Verlander of old (or at least the past 3 years, not including the TJ), or not, then I would reconsider making an investment in a LT contract with him. But not before then.

But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If he signs the QO. Too late.

If he doesn't, I would only be willing to do the 1-year in order to see how he comes back from TJ. Not interested in making a LT commitment when we have no idea on that. Sign him as a guess? As a... we "truly believe" in Verlander? I'm sorry, but no thanks.

The only thing that makes sense to me is a 1-year recovery deal, for $20 Mill or less. At the end of 2022, after he's shown whether he's the Verlander of old (or at least the past 3 years, not including the TJ), or not, then I would reconsider making an investment in a LT contract with him. But not before then.

But that's just me.

I agree as an organization it would be too big of risk to give him a big multi year deal at this point. Like I said me personally I think he is going to be fine and worth a multi year deal but that is just me going by a feeling as a fan which is something you of course can't do as an organization.  

I personally think he'll come back as well...

But I would just be uncomfortable with a multi-year deal at this point.

Not certain if I'm thinking organizationally (thinking that way definitely says no to me) or if personally I'm in that "prove it to me" mode... probably a little bit of both...

32 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I personally think he'll come back as well...

But I would just be uncomfortable with a multi-year deal at this point.

Not certain if I'm thinking organizationally (thinking that way definitely says no to me) or if personally I'm in that "prove it to me" mode... probably a little bit of both...

You're making it seem like its gonna sign a 8 year deal

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have no idea what the Tigers range is but the article I read about Houston said they thought JVs QO would be around 20 million for a year.  They didn't think he would go for it because he wants a long term deal.  How long term of a deal is a 39 year old pitcher coming off TJ going to get?  Maybe he will recover as good or better, be like Nolan Ryan and pitch until he's 45 or 46 and still be effective.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Enough to throw 4/80 at him on faith and goodwill?

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

1 year contract, with option, 20M guaranteed

2022 - 10M

2023-24 - 10M buyout, or 30M each year

JV gets the same $$$ as QO from Houston; if Tigers pick up option, it is 3/70M

this costs the Tigers a draft pick

(Max is going to get as much as 3/120 from the Dodgers)

Sure, this works fine for us, but I'm pretty sure JV can do better than $20MM guaranteed over two years.