2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

47 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Did I miss something? Were they talking about that era when he made the "drunken sailor" comment?

One of the reporters had made reference to contracts that hurt the team as part of the premise of the question, or maybe even a question or two before - I don't remember at this point. But the point being that Hinch and Avila never made any reference to it and Al was well into a long rambling answer and had left the initial question far behind before he mentioned the sotted tar.

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder. What you think about the history of the Tigers from the Dombrowski era forward probably conditions how you heard what was said.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Minor league coaching positions don't have much job security.  Details at 11.

Is it possible that Tim Prince is actually a member of a secret fraternal brotherhood with the two Tiger beat writers who wrote articles questioning his release?  Illuminati proven?

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I just took Avila's comment to mean that he desires to build a roster that is successful and financially sustainable. Which, IMO, is a reflection of the constraints that, as a GM, he has had to live with as the Tigers have been working through past deals. However one feels about his abilities as a GM, no doubt, payroll constraints have probably been a source of frustration and haven't made the job any easier.

I don't think it was meant as a deliberate shot at Mike I or DD or anyone else. Nor is it necessarily an excuse for how bad things got at points in the rebuild. But perhaps a window to a source of frustration for him over the past few years.

I agree with this, I don't think there was any intentional shot at how Ilitch spent on payroll towards the end of the last winning era.  I don't think it was a shot at anyone in particular, just a general comment to forecast that the Tigers aren't going to handing out blank checks to free agents.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Is it possible that Tim Prince is actually a member of a secret fraternal brotherhood with the two Tiger beat writers who wrote articles questioning his release?  Illuminati proven?

I just noticed the awkward "tiger beat" wording.  I think this deserves this 

See the source image

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I guess I dont get why his comment was bad PR.

As fans, we have talked over and over about the impact past contracts have had on payroll and how it impacts being able to make additions to the ballclub. I dont mind the fact that he's acknowledging that. And that a goal of his going forward is to avoid being put into a similar situation in the future. If anything, I appreciate his candor on that. 

Not making excuses for any bad decisions he has made as GM, but I understand where he is coming from with his comments and didn't have a negative view of them. 

The “drunken sailor” comment was unfortunate in light of the prior owner’s penchant to way overpay on years and dollars all the way to the end. It’s part of the pattern Avila has shown his entire time in the job. He fumbles through public appearances in a way that draws questions about his decision-making, and coming into this year, his decision-making wasn’t exonerating him. Thanks to AJ, I believe, that’s different starting this year.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The “drunken sailor” comment was unfortunate in light of the prior owner’s penchant to way overpay on years and dollars all the way to the end. It’s part of the pattern Avila has shown his entire time in the job. He fumbles through public appearances in a way that draws questions about his decision-making, and coming into this year, his decision-making wasn’t exonerating him. Thanks to AJ, I believe, that’s different starting this year.

was it though? Maybe Chris Ilitch understands more than any of us since it affects their personal wealth what the free spending his dad took part in did to their bottom line the last 7 years.    Its possibly an indictment of Dombrowski and Mike Ilitch. Dombrowski was fired and Mike Ilitch is dead and the only ones who care about talking about that part of his legacy are the family.  They might agree with Al in that regard.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Classic mountain out of a molehill.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Any mention of the Toledo War outside of the context of college football deserves an applause.

The revanchist dream of returning those ethnic Michiganders to their native soil led Bo Schembechler to declare war on Ohio. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

was it though? Maybe Chris Ilitch understands more than any of us since it affects their personal wealth what the free spending his dad took part in did to their bottom line the last 7 years.    Its possibly an indictment of Dombrowski and Mike Ilitch. Dombrowski was fired and Mike Ilitch is dead and the only ones who care about talking about that part of his legacy are the family.  They might agree with Al in that regard.

Mike Ilitch did spend money like a drunken sailor, though.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Here's another possibility for shortstop, and hey, he's a Devil We Know! 😉😆

I don't think they should have let Iglesias go in the first place.  I wonder if there were other issues with him because he is or was a decent player.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I don't think they should have let Iglesias go in the first place.  I wonder if there were other issues with him because he is or was a decent player.

I wish they kept him through this year, but he's getting to age where shortstops go over the cliff defensively as well as offensively.  

5 hours ago, romad1 said:

I just noticed the awkward "tiger beat" wording.  I think this deserves this 

See the source image

Noticed from the article headings that one of the article appears to be about the Soviet deployment of a whole new class of improved intermediate range ballistic missiles and how this puts a lot of pressure on NATO to respond in kind.   Sub headline appears to refer to the potential deployment of ground launched cruise missiles as a counter.  

Edited by romad1

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

And they weren't that great before which was surprising.  Maybe it's positioning or maybe he's a player who make great plays, but is not consistent on routine plays.   

If you believe Statcast's Outs Above Average stat, he's at zero for shortstop in 2021, although +2 for all positions, since he has played a few innings at 2B for the "Sawx", which is probably what accounts for the 73rd percentile OAA ranking for 2021.

Although, that 73rd is down from 89th and 98th the past couple of years, so he appears to be trending in the wrong direction, which you can understand since he is in his age 31 season. And it's not terribly likely he gets better from here.

image.png.0dad74536f1168171214129911d5557a.png

image.thumb.png.190e3a40f66e96eb7fab72f9a593d5a2.png